iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic accessories

Started by caper, July 26, 2013, 06:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caper

A good day to all. I am a mechanic and am wondering why there is not more portable hydraulics in the industry. I have a small bandsaw with a 13hp honda,why not change out that with a hydraulic motor run off my skidsteer hydraulics. Then I got to thinking a 60 inch bar hooked up to a motor on an attachment to take slabs of oversized logs before I take them to the mill. It all seems pretty simple, I must be missing something. Any feedback would be appreciated.

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Magicman

Hello caper and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I noticed that you have a long work commute.   :o  We really enjoyed visiting your Cape Breton area a few years back. 

What would be the fuel usage tradeoff to generate the hydraulic pressure to power the hydraulic motors.  I am curious also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Caper,
There have been numerous threads here on the FF regarding firewood processor builds. The same basic components would be needed on your hydraulic slabber.  Your hydraulic pump on your skidsteer should have plenty of flow & psi. Do you have any idea of what GPM & PSI your have available?
Once you know this, it is a matter of finding the appropriate hydraulic motor/chain/bar and drive sprocket combination. Next fabricate a  mounting bracket for the saw/motor combination.
You would need some form of a bar oiler...not sure on this.

On the processor I built, I used a simple NAPA fuel sending pump for oiling the chain and bar. I would think you could easily incorporate a small tank, pump (with a petcock or tiny ball valve to control the flow...it's easy to get way too much oil) on the saw mount. The hydro lines will have to travel with the saw and it would be easy to run a 12 volt line with the hydro line.

The final guesswork would be building some form of a frame and determining how to raise and lower the saw combination.

Dave Shepard

Hydraulics are a fairly inefficient way to transmit power, although in some instances, it's the only way. I think only air is worse. Hydraulic components are expensive compared to other methods. I suspect a hydraulic motor suitable to run a mill would cost more then the gas engine, plus you have to have a $40k skid steer to run it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Some guy at work was always playing with hyds. He was going to have a motor with quick disconnects and use it for his wood splitter and he was talking about a sawmill too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caper

Thanks for the responses. Firstly, yeah, from Alberta to Cape Breton, at least 2 weeks every 6 weeks I can spend at home. The fuel trade off by using skid steer hydraulics,well never really considered fuel an issue. I would have to say it would be more expensive with the skid. But the horsepower would be there. 75hp Deutz Bobcat with aux hydraulics. I was looking at a mower for it when I notices the RPM off the motors was high. Not exactly sure how high but the saw may require 1900-2000 RPM. I may just get a 3120 husky wit a 60 inch bar to cut the trees, remove bar and chain and fit to skid steer. What concerns me the most is keeping the hydraulics level. If not level it may destroy a new bar. Well I go back to work see if I can find a suitable motor. The sprocket will have to match chain so a a husky dealer may be getting a visit. Biggest trees I have seen east of Alberta. 9ft circumference at 6ft and at least 80-100 ft,Hemlock and Pine mix. To big for my mill,or any mill in CB. Thats why I need to figure and build it. Thanks again everyone,

Thank You Sponsors!