iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 455 Rancher or 460 Rancher?

Started by redshift, July 26, 2013, 12:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redshift

I need a chainsaw to cut thick firewood logs. I am not an experienced chainsaw user, has previously used Black and Decker battery operated saws. But now I have shifted to some heavy duty work so I have decided to buy a gas powered saw.

I was reading about many of the best chainsaw models online and have shortlisted Husqvarna 455 Rancher and 460 Rancher from them. But I am really confused between the two and could not find any significant difference between them.

So advice me a good saw. I could also go for Stihl and Echo saws, if you guys could recommend a good and powerful version. My budget is around $500
insightful chainsaw reviews

celliott

I believe the only basic difference between the two saws is the 460 has as bit more displacement (cc's). However, husqvarna seems to have sold alot more 455's. Due to price maybe? Never ran either one. Moving from a battery powered saw to any gas chainsaw I think you'll be pleased, and can't go wrong with either choice. But you have to remember to mix the two stroke oil in your gas, keep it filled with bar oil, and keep the chain SHARP this is probably the most important thing to know how to do when you own a chainsaw, because if you cut when the chain is dull, it's hard on the saw, you, and just doesn't work well. Your battery black&decker with a sharp chain will outcut a 455 rancher with a dull chain.

I would recommend buying your saw from a chainsaw dealer that sells many chainsaws, not like a lowes, or big box store type of place. You want to be able to have your saw serviced and repaired.I think a MS 290 would be a comparable saw to the 455 husky.
So the biggest piece of advice I can give you is, buy from a good dealer so you can have the saw serviced and repaired, and learn to sharpen the chain. Doesn't matter so much what color the saw is, really  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

AdkStihl

Quote from: redshift on July 26, 2013, 12:26:32 AMMy budget is around $500

You can find an excellent used Pro Grade saw with that kind of budget. And the 455/460 does not fit in the Pro Grade category.

Take the advice given to you on the other forum. Plenty of trust worthy guys over there to sell you a quality saw that will last. The size of wood you described (20" hardwood) is IMO at least 70cc territory. Find yourself an 044 or MS440 and have fun.
J.Miller Photography

grweldon

I was in the same situation a year or so ago... needed another saw to handle the things my Stihl 024AV struggled with.  The Stihl is a good saw and cuts good, but it's in the 40cc range.  I was looking for something that could pull a 24" bar well and I looked at the 455 Rancher as well as other Stihl and Husky models.  I ended up with a Husky 365.  It's a 70cc saw in Husky's professional line while the 455 is a 55cc saw in the homeowner/farm line.  It's a bit more expensive than your $500 budget (my budget was $500 also) but I chose to go this route even though I'm sure I would have been happy with a saw in the homeowner/farm line.  The 365 is a great saw with plenty of power.  I think I ended up paying about $675 after tax (9.5% in my city in Alabama) and the 25" bar upgrade.  I'm sure it would even handle a 28" bar with no problem.  Just a bit more food for thought.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mkjones32

I owned a 460 Rancher.  Its a good saw for a home owner saw.  If you are going to be doing firewood year in and year out.  I would look for a lightly used 365 or 372 XP with a 20-24" bar and read the safety portion of the manual. Don't forget the safety gear.

Kevin

Vance in AK

A lightly used pro saw like a Stihl 026 (Love mine) might also be a good idea.  Leave you a couple hundred bucks for an extra chain, chaps, etc.  At 50cc it will do a fine job with a 20" bar & will last the average wood cutter a LONG time!
With hardwood bigger might be better for you (60cc-65cc), but used pro grade will probably be a better buy than new homeowner grade.

celliott

Quote from: AdkStihl on July 26, 2013, 08:45:06 AM
Quote from: redshift on July 26, 2013, 12:26:32 AMMy budget is around $500

Find yourself an 044 or MS440 and have fun.

I do agree with you on the used pro saw idea, that's what I'd do myself. But keep in mind, he said he was upgrading from a battery powered black and decker. To go from that to an 044 might be too much for someone with not a whole lot of chainsaw experience. Think going from a minibike to a hayabusa  :o  Don't want anyone getting hurt...

Back to the OP- For blocking 20" hardwoods, a 50cc saw will do fine, a 70cc saw will just do it faster. If you're cutting 5 to 7 cords a year, a 455 would probably suit you just fine.
If you are mechanically inclined, a used saw should be no problem to keep going. If not however, and you don't want to learn to wrench on saws, I stand by what I said about whatever you get, buy from a good dealer to get the support.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sharkey

Hi Red,
Do yourself a favor and find a good local dealer to buy your saw from.  Their prices are not any higher than the box stores and sometimes even less.  This way if you have a problem theyre there for you. 

As for the 455 vs 460, I believe the 460 is strato-charged.  This is a low emission system of scavenging the cylinder with fresh air rather than air/fuel mix that is carbureted.   Double check me on this though as it may only apply to these later years.  You will be able to tell by looking at the intake below the air filter, if you see two holes leading into the intake throats you will know its strato-charged.

My saw pick would be the Echo cs-590 or cs-600p.  60cc, 13 pounds, 3/8 chain, 5yr warranty, $450.  This saw can also run a longer bar if you need it to for stumps or large chunks.

Road Runner

I have had a 365 for about 15 years and it's a great saw (pro grade).  A couple of years ago I was looking at saws for a backup and looked at the 455 and 460.  I decided on the 460 and have no complaints.  While the displacement is close the old 365 is a much better saw and should be for the extra $$.  I looked for a slightly used 365 so I could have an extra for parts if one went out on me, but there weren't any to be found in my area at the time.  I now keep a 28" bar on the 365 and a 20" bar on the 460 and use them about an equal amount.  My recommendation would be to get a pro grade saw if you can find a good used one for the right money, if not the 460 has been a good saw for me for occasional use.
I would also recommend going with a brand with a local dealer with a good reputation.  You will need one at some point.     
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

Onthesauk

Bailey's had the 460 on sale early this spring.  About $360, case of fuel and free shipping.  Didn't have to have it but couldn't pass it up.  Great saw for home use, 24" bar works well for me.  But at my age, it's heavier then I'm use to and not going to cut all day.  Much more comfortable taking down bigger trees then with my Husky 51.  Overall, very satisfied with it.

In thinking about this later, I wonder if maybe that was at $460 rather then $360?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Average_Joe

Bear in mind I am a homeowner with a large lot, so take my comments in context.

I own a 455 Rancher, purchased from a dealer rather than a box store.  Probably paid a couple bucks more that way, but have enjoyed consulting with someone who knows their ear from their elbow when I have had questions about it.

You could call the 455 the high end of consumer grade saws.  Nothing at all wrong with it, and mine has consistently started on first or second pull.  Maintenance is simple.  I do keep an extra chain in the box, but have never completely dulled one in a session of cutting. 

I find my Poulan Wild Thing cuts pine better than the 455.  The 455 will lap the Poulan in cutting hardwood though.  My dealer says it is the difference in the chains. 

I find the 455 too heavy for limbing, so I use the Poulan for that. 

Yoopersaw

DDDfarmer

Have 455 XP saw at work. Nice saw to use. Only used to cut up trees that drift down the river that are too big for a tractor to pull away so I don't run it for any real length of time.  starts easy, runs smooth and was $495 before taxes on promo from a dealer. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

grweldon

What AdkStihl was saying is... Husqvarna doesn't make a 455XP.  The XP is the professional series of Husky saws.  The Rancher is the homeowner/farm line of saws, of which the 455 belongs.  That has basically been the point of this thread...

The 455 Rancher (55cc) can be had for $429.95 (or less), the 460 Rancher (60cc) can be had for $479.95 (or less).  The least-expensive XP line in a similar displacment would be the 550XP (50cc) for $570.99 or the 562XP (60cc) for $739.95.

The difference between similar saws between the two lines is significant... as in $260 (460 Rancher vs. 562XP).  They charge more for the professional line for a reason.

I bought a 365 (70cc professional line) last year and I am quite happy with it.  I cut down a 19" DIB pine tree on Saturday with it.  The wedge cut took about 30 seconds, the back-cut took less.  I don't have a bunch of experience with saws, but compared to my Stihl 024, the 365 Husky is a monster!  I could have cut the tree down with the Stilh, but it would have taken 5 times longer and been much harder on my body...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

woodtech

Either one will cut wood just fine for you.  Looks like they're the same weight, one just has more power. 
I had a similar purchase debate of my own this year.  For me it was a choice between an ms391 or ms311.  Same weight, one just had more power.
One thing you should definitely not forget to buy is PPE.  Get chaps, and woodcutter helmet.  Might feel dorky or over dressed for back yard stuff, but its cheap insurance. 
ms 391, modified ms 250, fiskars X25, osburn 2000 wood stove

01crewcab

I own many pro saws and more than few homeowner saws (more than whats listed in my sig). I own both a 365(pro), and a 460(homeowner) of the two the 365 is a better saw. I'm running a 28" Techlite bar on it. I've got a 24" Husky bar on the 460. I would buy a new 460 vs trying to find a good used 365. Buy it from a good saw shop that can get it tuned properly for you, always keep your chain sharp and cut away!
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

OlJarhead

I've used and abused my Husky 455 Rancher for over 3 years now and it's an excellent saw for the money.  I love it and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a small chainsaw.

In my case I don't fall anything over about 26" in diameter (for milling -- I wouldn't turn a good saw log into firewood!)....

Cut lots of firewood with that saw too :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

DDDfarmer

I also have a nice bridge to sell with that 455 XP  ;D

My mistake  ::)  about the XP.  Thought there was something else on that label, turns out it was the X-torq.

Anywichway.  it is a nice saw to use if I keep my co-workers from using it  they like to try to cut the dirt under the log. >:(
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

OlJarhead

Speaking of chains I tossed the Husky chain in the shed and replaced it with chisel tooth chains from Oregon chain (bought at Bailey's).  I LOVE those chains! 

thecfarm

Whatever color buy from a dealer that you like. Dealer support comes in handy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodtech

I agree, that's great advice!  Find a good dealer who will help you be happy with whatever you buy. 
ms 391, modified ms 250, fiskars X25, osburn 2000 wood stove

John Mc

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 29, 2013, 07:28:36 PM
Speaking of chains I tossed the Husky chain in the shed and replaced it with chisel tooth chains from Oregon chain (bought at Bailey's).  I LOVE those chains!

I thought the Husky chins were just rebadged Oregon chains.  Husky does sell chisel chains.  Either a Husky or Oregon chisel chain should cut better than the chain that probably came stock on the 455 -- probably one of those safety chains with the guard/bumper links in them?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OlJarhead

Ya they come with safety chains.  Ditch em and go chisel.

One thing, the 20" bar doesn't buck much if at all so no real reason to use the safety chains in my book.

DDDfarmer

Husky dealer here puts chisel chains on the saws I've seen. Never looked at the smaller saws ( less than 50cc) so don't know what's on them.

Talk to your local dealer whatever they sell, better yet talk to the neighbours and see what they say about the local dealer's.  Go to your local coffee shop and sit next to the retired farmers, workers and such, and ask who is the best chainsaw dealer in the area?  That will keep them talking and argueing for an hour or so but you might hear who had what problem with what saw shop. ???

Take a chainsaw safety course, get some PPE, and purchase a saw in the higher end of  homeowner ( or low pro saw) 

Thank You Sponsors!