iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finished cutting

Started by Logging logginglogging, July 25, 2013, 11:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

Well just finished cutting my last logs last night, now I can shift in to just splitting now!!!

Local4Fitter

My wood is cut and split. I am in the middle of building a 20'x20' wood shed. Should hold enough for two years.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

brendonv

I just started cutting.  I promised myself to get rid of the log pile i have so i can re arrange my back lot.  My helper is off in maine so im thinking ill throw down a tarp after tomorrows errands and start super splitting.  Did not care for picking the bark out of the gravel last year, so the tarp will make cleanup better, and i wont lose the bottom layer in contact with the ground.  So thats what i think at least.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

clww

I'm in the same situation-all cut and ready to split, load, unload, and stack it.
Which part takes the most energy.....?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Busy Beaver Lumber

i actually enjoy running the splitter.Before you know it 8 hours go by and there is a mountain of wood to show for your efforts 8)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Al_Smith

Quote from: brendonv on July 28, 2013, 01:01:00 PM
  Did not care for picking the bark out of the gravel last year, so the tarp will make cleanup better, and i wont lose the bottom layer in contact with the ground.  So thats what i think at least.
Lawdy I've got an area about 40 by 40 the bark must be 6" deep .Every couple of years I scoop it up with a my buds skidloader and burn it .Burns for days .

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on July 28, 2013, 08:06:04 PM
i actually enjoy running the splitter.Before you know it 8 hours go by and there is a mountain of wood to show for your efforts 8)

Yeah I don't mind it either.... I started splitting this weekend. I usually try and use some of the bark that falls off for my wife's lil fire pit that she has outside... For the most part I have an area far from my house that I don't care if it has bark and sawdust. I try and also take my sawdust and dry it on a tarp, and then use it for bedding for our chickens.... Its good stuff and free that way. Ill be splitting till fall I am sure, I try and split a tank of gas a night after work. I probalyy split 1.5 to two cord this weekend inbetween my other projects, Mechanic work, walkway building, trying to make a lawn, ....many many many things ... I try and get it all doe before Bow season in October!!

enigmaT120

Ha, I can't split for 8 hours!  Of course, I only have a Monster Maul.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

thecfarm

Al, I bet mines a foot deep. Have to be at least 8 inches to cover the rocks.  ;D At least it's level now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

been splitting and stacking a wood splitter gas tank worth a night lately. Its coming along very nicely. Once and a wile ill take a night off and do another project, Finally got around to some welding I had to do and can now sell my case 310 G dozer!

r.man

Bark isn't a problem for me, I rake it up in the spring from where the wood was piled and it heats the house for a few days after sitting in the sun drying out for a while. Shovel it into the OWB with a grain scoop on those days when you don't need much heat but you need some.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: r.man on August 06, 2013, 11:32:02 PM
Bark isn't a problem for me, I rake it up in the spring from where the wood was piled and it heats the house for a few days after sitting in the sun drying out for a while. Shovel it into the OWB with a grain scoop on those days when you don't need much heat but you need some.

I try and do the same thing too, Also use it for grilling and the wife's lil fire pit out in the yard.

doctorb

I.too, use a tarp under my splitter.  I save the longer pieces of bark, along with the "splinters" of wood, for kindling.  Just dump it in a trash can and use it liberally for any restart of the OWB.  Really helps bring it up to gasification temps quickly.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MRowsh

I stopped splitting 4 years ago. Put both of my wood stoves in my barn. I bought two nice corn stoves and oh my God, what a difference.
I have 35 tom hydraulic log splitter that I have to sell.

I am at Smithfield NC, in case some one is interested in buying a splitter.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

beenthere

Put your splitter in the "For Sale" forum here. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MRowsh

Thanks beenthere. I just did place it.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

Al_Smith

Well if it weren't for the fact that corn is extremely high priced it might not be a bad deal .

Being an old fuddy duddy I always figured the best use of field corn was to produce great tasting T-bone steaks.Then somebody figured it would be a good automobile fuel,high tech moonshine so to speak .Now they want to burn it in a stove .

I'm surrounded by the stuff which is 8 feet high in these parts .Corn every where .These farmers don't burn it they sell it and call up the profane er propane dealer.

thecfarm

I have to cut about 3-4 cords for the guy that buys from me. Mine is all cut,still in a big pile. I do hope to get to it before it gets buried with snow,but I know I will be digging it out of the snow. Gives me something to do in the winter time when everything is covered with snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!