iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Circle

Started by dgdrls, July 25, 2013, 06:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

I have seen some posts here lately about electric power.

Curious, is anyone running an electric circle style mill??

DGD

bandmiller2

DGD,I would say all of the large circular mill are electric, where the power is available.Remote locations and small mom and pop operations use whatever they have.Electric is by far the cheapest power for any mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

I looked into powering my mill with electric however the enormous cost of three phase installation made that option impossible. Those that have access to three phase should consider themselves lucky. I have to power all of my three phase machine tools with VFD's. Those little things are a blessing! Too bad they don't make one to power a 100 hp motor ;D

On a positive note, the area on my property that I have set aside for a band mill is close enough to the main three phase supply that the power company said they'd run a drop there for free. If that project ever materializes, it'll surely be electric. 

-lee 
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

WoodenHead

Quote from: SPD748 on July 25, 2013, 10:44:12 AM
I looked into powering my mill with electric however the enormous cost of three phase installation made that option impossible. Those that have access to three phase should consider themselves lucky. I have to power all of my three phase machine tools with VFD's. Those little things are a blessing! Too bad they don't make one to power a 100 hp motor ;D

-lee 

Actually there are 100HP VFD's (even 250HP and larger), but not likely supplied from a single phase source.   ;)  That would be just too much for 240V 200 amp service.   :o   

WH_Conley

When I had to replace the engine on my LT40 I looked at electric. I have 3 phase 600 ft from the mill shed. I was also thinking used machinery too. The local RECC wanted $6000.00 to put 3 phase to the mill and $450.00 a month customer charge, this is before the cost of electricity. I put a new gas engine back on.
Bill

Ron Wenrich

We've been running with electric power, but we have a 325kw gen set.  There is a 3 phase line on the front of the property.  But, the cost of hook up was more expensive than the gen set, and the monthly electric bill would have been more expensive than the diesel.  The monthly bill gets paid whether you are running or not.

Gen sets have their limitations to how much you can actually put on.  The electric company doesn't have that limit.  If you have a small operation, they may do the trick.  Location is unimportant.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Just beating my gums here but years ago in more remote areas sawmills generated their own electric power with steam as electric was easier to drive many outher auxiliaries and power was not available in the area.Days they powered the mill, nights they would sell power to the town.That kept the boiler hot and ready and kept a fireman busy who was also the nite watchman.Waste steam heated the buildings and kiln.All and all an efficient system until power co's came with artificially low rates until the industry got hooked on cheap easy electric. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!