iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Gadget

Started by tgalbraith, July 24, 2013, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Here are some photos, of an A-frame I built for the 3-point hitch on my tractor.
The beauty part is, that I can back in to the middle of my pile, and retrieve any log I choose.

This is what it looks like, mounted on my tractor.

I gusseted the back and bottom for more strength, and added a "lifting spike to the middle.

Simply back into your selected log, until spike is inserted into it.

Place the rear hook onto other end of the log. A tarp strap keeps the tension on the hook until you lift the hoist.

Here is how it looks after you lift the log. I carry it low during transport, but it can go much higher.

Here is that log, safely on my saw deck.  I lower my folding ramps onto cement blocks to receive the log. That makes them about level.  When using the boat winch to load, the ramps are lowered to the ground to make an incline.

Hope some of you can use this idea to your advantage.  I could also lift the logs from the middle with tongs, but it is so much easier to control swing and sway when I use the "spike".                                             

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

drobertson

Not to shabby, nice and clean logs,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Looks slick, and only limited by the counter weight on the front end of the tractor.
How long have you been loading logs with it? or is it new outta the box?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tgalbraith

Quote from: beenthere on July 24, 2013, 04:30:12 PM
Looks slick, and only limited by the counter weight on the front end of the tractor.
How long have you been loading logs with it? or is it new outta the box?
Hi Beenthere-
I have'nt used it too long.  I was afraid that little Belarus would start rearing when I asked it to lift those logs. It did'nt.
I suppose that one day I will try to lift something too big, but I think it will let me know right away.

tgalbraith

Quote from: drobertson on July 24, 2013, 04:27:04 PM
Not to shabby, nice and clean logs,  david
Thanks David.
With the help of my log arch with a back-wheel attachment, they only see the ground when I cut them.

47sawdust

That is very clever and low budget.Nice job.
I really like sawing clean logs,clean and straight is even better.
Be safe.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Nomad

That's just slicker'n sliced bread.  Great idea! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

slider

I like the green machine in the back ground.
al glenn

dgdrls

Quote from: slider on July 24, 2013, 05:50:31 PM

Me Too!!!  how's about a Kodak moment with that Oliver!!

Nice log rig is it on a Belarus?

DGD

sawdusty1

That's using your head for something besides a hat rack.   You de man
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

customsawyer

Just slicker than snot on a brass door knob.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Now that's a gadget and than some!! Your idea???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodyone.john

I like that one. You must be a country boy,I sure am.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

kelLOGg

Very clever! Is there a problem with the log swinging when you steer the tractor through a turn?
bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tgalbraith

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 25, 2013, 05:22:24 AM
Very clever! Is there a problem with the log swinging when you steer the tractor through a turn?
bob
No, none that I have noticed.  The movement is limited to the amount of swing on your 3-point lift. I suppose if you took
a turn at high speed it might not be good.  The fact that the butt of the log is supported all the way across helps.

Magicman

The "spike" is a nifty idea, and the "price was right".  :P Ingenuity is free if you use it.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Good deal,  tgalbraith.  I can see using this to load and unload trailers.  I also like the tip on using the bungee cord on the chain.   I learn something everyday, whether I want to or not.  :D   Thanks.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

clww

Great idea with great pictures. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tgalbraith

Quote from: dgdrls on July 24, 2013, 05:55:09 PM

DGD

As requested, here are some shots of the Oliver. It belongs to my oldest son, but has been powering my mill lately.

Magicman

I like dat Oliver.   :)    LINK to Oliver Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Herb Brooks

I like them Olivers also, cept at the antique tractor pulls we some times go to.  There is a 66 in the same class as my Super H. Just can't seem to beat him.

NCDiesel

I was mulling over a similar idea but it has not come to fruition yet.  In fact I have spent more than just a few brain cycles on eliminating the problem of the log "wagging", but it sounds like in your reply earlier that it is not really issue after all.

Your 88 makes me miss my Oliver 77 row crop diesel.   That was my hay baler tractor.  That Waukesha diesel was so strong and reliable.

Good job!

PS:  I use the bungee cord idea and my inability to judge how long it would need to be after I load the chain has resulted in a number of premature bungee failures (-:
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

NCDiesel

Quote from: tgalbraith on July 25, 2013, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: dgdrls on July 24, 2013, 05:55:09 PM

DGD

As requested, here are some shots of the Oliver. It belongs to my oldest son, but has been powering my mill lately. [/img]

I forgot to mention a fact that would be useful to folks on this forum.   Olivers from this era are very popular for edgers and mills because of the PTO hand clutch.    Very easy to engage/disengage the PTO from the ground.  Most mills I have worked on have power units of other makes on the mills but frequently enough I see old 77/88 Olivers running the edgers/shapers/etc.

Just a little side note I thought you folks would like to hear,

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

tgalbraith

Quote from: woodyone.john on July 25, 2013, 01:36:00 AM

I like that one. You must be a country boy,I sure am.
8)Yes, I am a country boy. Also a Scotsman. I squeeze a nickel till the buffalo ****. I rarely buy anything, before  I
attempt to build it; and as old Bo Seffus says-- "I got a shotgun and a rifle and a four wheel drive, and a country boy can
survive"'.

Thank You Sponsors!