iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulled a couple of sinkers today!

Started by mattyboy88, July 23, 2013, 06:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyboy88

i only got to pull two of them today because i lost my diving knife and felt unsafe to dive.

mattyboy88

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mattyboy88

plans are to get about 10 to 15 more of them and the saw mill, or log buyer who pays the most will get them. haha cant wait untill we pull up some sinker cypress. thats the highest demand wood.

Timbercruiser

Nice Job !! suposed to be good money in that type of stuff good luck with it  :)

mattyboy88

thanks Timbercruiser! just gotta watch out for the logger head snappers! :D

Timbercruiser

it seems like its pretty good money for low volume of wood. I hope it goes good an at least you make one dollar anyway  ::)

pineywoods

Looks like pine... from a sandbar on the ouachita ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mattyboy88

pineywoods..... i have no idea what it is. i have a buddy that graduated in forestry and he is going to my log stash with me to determine what they are. you are correct. i got them from the bottom of the ouachita. about 30 feet down. majority of the logs are about 35 to 40 feet, and around 24-30 inches wide. im hoping to start pulling some sinker cypress soon (gotta find them). but i just pull whatever i find no matter what it is or how big it is.

thecfarm

Keep on posting. There use to be some others doing that kind of logging. Been quiet on here lately.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mattyboy88

thecfarm..... i sure will keep posting. there's something about diving down and bringing up pieces of history that is really cool when you think about it. i kind of just started but i know as of now that its going to be something i really enjoy doing. ill keep posting pictures also. cant wait to start posting pictures of them cut open and milling pictures.

Fla._Deadheader

Are you pulling in a swampy area, or, near a Pine forest ??

!st photo looks like it would be heart Pine, and the sapwood is eaten away from water currents. The hollow is more near to be Cypress. Is it full of oblong cavity type features ?? Pecky ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pineywoods

You will probably find a big iron spike in both ends of the logs. The old timers used spikes and short chains to fasten logs together end to end to form an enclosure around the outside of a raft of logs. The mill didn't want those logs with metal in them, so they were discarded back into the river, where they floated downstream to the nearest sandbar. That's probably what you are finding. Before the installation of the locks and dams, the river levels fluctuated rather wildly. In his early years, my wife's grandad was one of the river rats that floated log rafts on the ouachita every spring.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mattyboy88

Fla._Deadheader....so far i have just been pulling from the ouachita river north of monroe la. its a murky dark river with a history of many many log drives. and yes the one hollow log feels very heavy and solid. could be cypress.

pineywoods.... i didnt look hard enough today to see if there were spikes in the logs. these logs came from the middle of the river about 30 feet down. and the river is very low right now! so that is pretty shallow. and thanks for the history lesson and the wisdom. i am soaking everything up that i learn.

Piston

Can't wait to see pics of those opened up!  Do you free dive or SCUBA?  Can't be much vis down there  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

timberlinetree

Wow it's neat to see logging of a different kind!thanks for taking the time to post and great job! Be safe out there or I mean down there. :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

mattyboy88

piston......there is about one to two inches of visibility down there when you have your gauges held up to your mask with your diving flashlight right up to your face.  :D so its not zero visibility haha.

thanks timberlinetree! sure will be.

sandhills

So do you find them by feel? sonar? fish finder?  Thanks for the pics, can't wait to see the lumber.

Planman1954

Here's a link to an article about history of snatching up logs in the Ouachita River:

http://www.ouachitariver.org/snagging.htm
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

mattyboy88

sandhills...... its a little bit of both. using sonar to locate then when you get down there you have to feel around for them because of zero visibility.

Planman1954..... thank you for the article. it was very informative and interesting. i cant wait to find a big pile of them instead of the one or two here and there.

beenthere

matty
This a hobby, or are you trying to eventually build a business?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mattyboy88

business for sure! looking to do this for a while.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Woodhauler

You should go apprentice with Shelby!  ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Piston

I used to scuba dive for lobsters in Cape Cod, and I didn't like when the visibility was less than 15', I wouldn't be a very good underwater logger!  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

mattyboy88

Woodhauler..... haha that would be an experience.

Piston..... it would be nice to go diving for lobsters and bring up your meal for the evening. i love lobster! and yes.... its definitely spooky. but something about hitting the bottom of the river and putting your hands on the logs that makes it ok. i dont know how to explain it. the trip to the bottom is the strangest part, but when you hit the bottom its like "ok time to go to work" haha its a rush.

Nemologger

wonder how old those logs are? were they all cut? or are some natural?
Clean and Sober

bill5335

So do you let the logs dry, then mill them or do you mill then soaking wet?

Fla._Deadheader

This is not my thread, but, did this for several years.

In the true sense of the words, "Sinker" logs are the ones that went to the bottom after being cut and worked to the water. They were nearly all axe cut. then bobbed off in tree length with hand powered saws. There were shorter logs produced, also.

These logs are completely wet all the way through, though, not like you would think. They were usually girdled for 1 year, before cutting, This is for the Cypress logs. Pine was just cut and very heavy-dense.; They didn't ride very high in the water, when dumped off the rail cars into the rivers.

We just piled them up and sawed and sold most of it wet. Some we dried the lumber by standing on end and allowing the water to drain out, somewhat.

Biggest problem is, sand, snails, catfish, etc., that were in voids in the logs.
   First, it is ridiculed;

mattyboy88

Fla._Deadheader is right. only thing i pull is sinker logs. so they are already cut.

mattyboy88

i just got back from oregon. i am now engaged so its back to work for me! i will be pulling the first of next week! so more pictures and info on the way! stay tuned.

Nemologger

but could natural logs be used for lumber too?
Clean and Sober

Fla._Deadheader

???  All logs are "natural". Just what do you have in mind ?? Fresh cut logs work very well if you have heart Pine. One sawmill I know of, throws fresh cut Heart Pine in ponds he dug on his property. That way, he is selling "water recovered" logs  ::) ::)

The old Cypress is scarce, unless you have access to a Cypress swamp.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Nemologger

You know what I mean Fla._deadheader,  NATURAL as in getting there by nature rather than man, duh, not chopped down, Naturally got in the river years ago by a flood or so other NATURAL means.
Clean and Sober

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah  :D :D I was funnin ya.  ;)  In Florida, we were limited to PREcut logs. If the tree had a stump we were to leave it. I cut a few anyway, because, the limbs were a major navigational hazard, in shallow areas or on bends in the river.

Once a log is bucked, there is not much way to tell if it is the butt log or the 2nd log from a tree. Was inspected once while we were not in the area, by the State people. We got an email stating we were doing an excellent job. NO complaints.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sawdusty1

mattyboy88, is that you in your avatar flying a Quicksilver MX 2
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

mattyboy88

nemologger..... most likely; im sure they could but i only dive on logs that were stripped and cut back in the olden days. we have a nice humminbird sonar with side imaging. (so i know before I dive). i dont really tend to dive on natural trees because i dont want to get hung up in the branches. (river has current)
im also really blessed because i live close to cheneire lake and it has nothing but tupelo gum and cypress trees sunk all in it.

sawdusty1...yes that is my quicksilver sport2s. i actually used it to fly to south louisiana to hunt alligator nest every year. i would give the gps coordinates to my buddies in the airboats. (i had amphibious puddlejumper floats on it.) then they would go pick up the eggs. the owner has recently has aquired an r-44 helicopter that he uses to find the nests(learning to fly it next). so i got the plane from him, put it back on regular tires, and i love it! (selling the floats)

sawdusty1

I used my easy riser to find shell cracker beds on lake Seminole and catch them to sell to people at work. I am a Kolb man now.  I know those sinkers must be heavy.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

luvmexfood

Just a question not related to logging but what do you do with alligator eggs?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mattyboy88

sawdusty1.... kolb's are great aircrafts as well! and yes the sinkers are very heavy! especially when they are sunk in the mud! pulled a sinker cypress down in the mud and silt today. it was very heavy!.

luvmexfood..... we incubate them, hatch them, grow them, harvest them, sell meat and hides.

mattyboy88

pulled some more sinkers today.....trying to locate buyers is hard. also trying to upload pictures to these posts are hard.

beenthere

Uploading pics is not hard. ;)
Follow the first thread in the "Behind The Forum" forum (under Home) and if the pics are in .jpg format on your computer, then they can be placed in your own gallery as all of us do. And surely you have seen a lot of good pics on the forum.

There is a "For sale" forum and some rules to follow...... just in case you missed it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mattyboy88

mattyboy88

finally figured it out haha. im new to this forum. i almost got kicked out trying to freely advertise! oops! ill have to try out that for sale forum. thanks beenthere!

beenthere

Going to sell them 'in the water' or pull them out and post some pics? Or saw up a few so we can see what they look like inside?
south central Wisconsin

luvmexfood

Ohh. Ok. Nothing wrong with that. I tried alligator tail once. seemed like the more I chewed it the bigger it got. Taste was OK.

Was in Baton Rouge about 20 years ago at LSU doing some firefighting training and they had a big crawl fish boil for us. Did the whole thing. Eat the tail and suck the guts. They were pretty good going down but not much coming back up. Course it was hot and we had bunker gear on all day and were probably a little dehydrated. Stopped at a place and got a daquiry called an attitude adjustment. 151 rum and regular rum in a slushy type drink. Then went to the boil and ate the crawl fish and chased it with straight 151 rum. Not one of my better memories but heck. We all have a few memories when we were young and dumb.

Another day did eat some dang good catfish that was fresh. Went out on the Misissippi on a boat with dinner included. Dang good food.

beenthere

Quotethey had a big crawl fish boil for us.

:D :D
crawl fish  Never heard 'em called that before, but guess they do crawl.  ;D

Know what you mean about them crawl fish, as after drinking a bottle of cheap muscatel wine and a bag of barbeque potato chips, I'll never eat barbeque potato chips again !!! 
steve_smiley steve_smiley
Oh to be young, foolish, and only have a dollar to spend on a night on the town. ;)  (90 cents for the wine and 10 cents for the bag of chips)
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

The crawfish didn't make you sick.  It was the attitude adjustment and maybe even what else went with it.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luvmexfood

Yep. Young and dumb. Oh the crazy things we did when we were young. I remember growing up in the late 60's. Not a lot to do in the country to keep youth entertained when not working on the farm. Around 12 years old we used to play army with our BB guns. We thought nothing about shooting each other. Wonder we didn't lose an eye. If I had caught my children doing it when they were that age (now aged 23 and 15 each with a birthday soon) I would have had a fit. Course our parents didn't know what we were doing.

mattyboy88

beenthere....as of now im doing my best to locate buyers for the wood. It takes a lot of gas to drive around, search, and pull. We have a few pulled now, so im trying to sell the stuff. When we find someone that wants more we will get them all they want.

luvmexfood..... it is a must that the alligator be cooked right! Only some know how to cook it right, many claim they know how to cook it. needs to be very tendorized before it is cooked. I love the stuff! very lean, high in protein, no fat at all(unless you soak it in butter), just good stuff.

mattyboy88

also they are submerged under the water for now. after a sale or two i plan on getting a little saw mill and cutting some up! stay tuned for more pictures and posts.

luvmexfood

Mattyboy. Stay safe in all your diving and stuff. Take care. luvmexfood.

CCC4

That's about how I thought that market was...T.V. shows (cough cough hack) make the market for those logs look sustainable. I'm sure they bring good money...but getting rid of them might take some doing. Good luck to ya!

Do you have any pics of yer ax cut logs? What kind of lengths are you finding? Thanks

Bogue Chitto

Sinkers make nice furniture.  Son made a table from a log we have. 

mattyboy88

thanks luvmexfood! will do!

CCC4 I finally found a log buyer but he only wants cypress. most of what i pull is sinker yellow pine. so now im in the hunt for cypress. and yes i will upload more pics soon.

Bogue Chitto.....thats some good looking stuff man!

isawlogs

Aligators and gr--s are about the same, they both need the right cook, the right spices, the right heat and the right person the eat them....  ;D

Ray and I are not them.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

You know you're in Florida when the road kill flavor of the day is alligator.  Yup, there was one dead on the shoulder of 192 east of Kissimmee this morning.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!