iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our MPPA Sawmill

Started by miro, July 22, 2013, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miro

I am part of the Muskoka Pioneer Power Association and we have a Waterous circular sawmill. There are 4 or 5 of us who operate the mill. We mill twice per year for 2 or 3 days. The mill was restored over the past 5-6 years and is now (sort of) in operation. We are still learning the science and art of the circular sawmill.
Thank goodness for this Fourm. You guys are all very good.
I hope to add more info as we learn more and become more experienced.
As this is my first post, I hope the picture stuff works.

miro

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Good job on the pics.

Where are you located? Interested to hear more about the sawmill and the activity of the Association.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Miro.

Congrats on the restoration, the mill looks great.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Miro,  dandy saw you have there.

First time was a charm with the photo!!

DGD

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    miro.  Hopefully you will share some more pictures of your sawing operation.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
That's an impressive-looking setup you've shown us. Those old saws hanging around are nice, too. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Miro.
Looks like a lot of fun. Do you have any pictures of what you started with?

Allan

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

miro,welcome to the forum. That sure does look nice.Was the mill located there or did you move it there? Must have a festival each year to show it off?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Welcome  :)

Useless fact of the day.

Miro is the name of a large forest tree here in NZ, so even your forum handle is forestry related, even if unintentionally  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Welcome Miro and crew.What power do you have to run the mill.??The mill was probably made out in St.Paul MN. Waterous is still very much in business building fire pumps and fire hydrants.I went to school at the factury for a week a few years back.It almost seems that every foundry at one time cast sawmill parts and sold their own mills.Do you have one guy that's the sawyer or does everyone have a crack at it.With most circular mills the sawyer is the sawyer and loaths outhers messing with his mill.You could try to call Waterous for some history,I'am sure there mill parts are long gone,ask for Hintz Gee if anyone would know he would. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

Give us more  . Looks like an on going project.
al glenn

miro

You asked for more - so here it is.
I shot a video of the mill today.
Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkDe_loUOW8&feature=youtu.be

I also took some still photos, which I wil post in the ext couple of days.
The mill ain't for production - that's for sure, but we are having a lot of fun, turning gasoline into noise, and making small pieces of wood out of big pieces of wood.

I saw somewhere that the Waterouss company is still in business although not making sawmills.
I wonder if they'd like to know about the mill. Has anyone  got a contact there?

Thanks,
Miro
( and yes, I was pleased that my handle which is also my name - is a type of wood in New Zealand - and again - thank goodness for this Forum))

Andy White

Miro
Welcome to the forum. That is a fine example of circle mill machinery. I love seeing the ways of the past in action. Good Luck and keep us updated on your progress.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Hilltop366

Welcome, nice looking old iron.

beenthere

http://www.waterousco.com/

This might be the one you are thinking of, and a place where you can make contact and find out what their interest might be.

In the video, it was interesting to listen to the fellow trying to describe the lead in the saw. He had the general gist of it. :)

In case you don't have it, here is a link to a good circular sawmill booklet written by Stan Lunstrum.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

miro

Here is a video of the Waterous Sawmill in action today,
at the Bracebridge Fall Fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_OZTToMraA&feature=youtu.be

We're not milling for $$$ , but mostly for show, twice a year.
We're lucky that we've got a full building dedicated to the mill. It sure
helps keep the weather effects under control, although, moisture and subsequent rusting is a constant battle.

It's also great that visitors appreciate the volunteers who man the machine and keep it
operational.

miro

losttheplot

Thanks for posting the great video.

I think the guy stacking lumber would like a turn running the mill  :D :D
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

m wood

well done project Miro, you guys did a good for that 'ol iron.  welcome
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

bandmiller2

Miro,nice vid,what do you folks power your mill with.??Interesting to see the variable feed speed via the step pulley. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dblair

that's a great project , everyone needs a turn at sawyer though . first time for me seeing a rack mill in action, do you have a problem with dust buildup on the gear or rack ?
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

miro

Hi all,
thanks for the comments and feedback - this Forum is simply the BEST !

We use a Case Model D stationary engine for power. It runs at about 1100 RPM, and we run the saw at 475 to 500 RPM.  Recently we took a good look at the governor linkages  and discovered major slop, which we remedied. That help a lot to keep the saw running consistently.

We don't have any issues with build p of crud on the rack and pinion drive, because it is relatively well protected. We also make sure we keep the sawdust conveyor working and we clean up after each day of sawing.

And yes, we all take turns running the mill.

miro

Thank You Sponsors!