iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cummins problem??

Started by CTL logger, July 20, 2013, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

Quote from: craigc on July 25, 2013, 09:21:23 PM
We just went through this with our Case 521 loader.  Did about everything you have done.  Turned out to be the solenoid on the injection pump.  It did exactly what your did only on the last time it just did not  start again.  If you have a solenoid on the pump just unhook it and wire the cable back.  If she runs all day without a hiccup you know what is wrong.
Did you wire the cable going to the solenoid back? Did you have to start it first then unhook it? Thanks for advice I'll try anything now.

craigc

The wire just takes place of what the solenoid is supposed to be doing.  Keep it wired while you are working.  When you shut off the key the engine will not shut off, so just unwire the solenoid and it will kill the motor.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

HiTech

If it is the solenoid and it has a rod that opens and closes the fuel supply...power on magnet pulls the rod open, power off magnet releases the rod to shut off. Try putting a little lube on the rod and work it manually a few times to get it freed up. Then try it. With the power on, once it clicks open it should stay there. They are expensive to replace.

LarryRB

We just replace a solenoid on our cummins . A real pain if you don't pull the pump but can be done. $325 to buy it.

CTL logger

Well my injection pump doesn't have a solenoid that's external. But Anderson had a mechanic up near me today and we tested all the fuel pressure and hope it's the primary filter was bad just put new one on Monday. But the pressure was 128 psi before under full load after running an hour it fell on it's face down to 30 psi, put new filters on ran 158 psi at full load find out tomorrow if it runs all day still have gauges in cab we shall see. They think the filter could be messed up from being sucked dry too many times figuring out the gear pump was bad.

CTL logger

I think it's fixed cut for 8 hours never missed a beat, the mechanic left both fuel pressure gauges hooked up and they stayed at 129 psi out of filter and 139psi before the filter all day long. Guess that will be one expensive filter change mechanic was on the job for 4 hrs plus and it turned out being the primary filter guess I should have changed it again after putting the new gear pump on. I wouldn't have thought the filter being 4 days old would have gone bad. I'm glad it's up and running.

1270d

Sounds like an expensive lesson.  I learned from it though, thanks for posting about it.

barbender

Frustrating- I'm glad you got it going.
Too many irons in the fire

CTL logger

Quote from: 1270d on July 27, 2013, 07:36:29 PM
Sounds like an expensive lesson.  I learned from it though, thanks for posting about it.
Thanks for all the suggestions I hope if nothing else it helps someone with a similar problem. The field tech from Anderson called me this morning to see how it was running and emailed me some info he found on what pressures on fuel system should be. Hope all goes well on Monday like today.

bozzaa69

Those kinds of problems are BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I get my fair share with my equipment. I service it all myself,and those mystery problems are the worst.

Thank You Sponsors!