iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sinker log recovery rookie!

Started by mattyboy88, July 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyboy88

hello everyone. i am new to this forum and still trying to figure it out. i joined because i am new to the sinker log recovery world(you have to start sometime and somewhere). i am from north louisiana, i have an awesome boat, great humminbird sonar, scuba certifacation, location of some logs, etc. i was just seeing if anyone knew any buyers, location of logs, permit requirements, or just to talk about it. im open for any info and will gladly listen to any advice or wisdom! thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

You have come to a good place to be able to read a lot about others with sinker log recovery. One member to key on is Ron Scott, and another is Fla_Deadheader. Plus there are others.
Have you found any of their threads through the search system here?
Or need some links?
Fla_Deadheader (He and son recovered logs in FL)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=330

Ron Scott (wrote a book on recovering logs)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=2

Tell us more about what your plans are, and for me how you are going to deal with the alligators laying down there in the bottom.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

As you will soon find out, you are located right in the middle of a large bunch of sawdust junkies..From your locator pin, I assume you don't have a mill. Just to your west, I know of at least a dozen small mills in union parish alone. I personally know one who sawed up a bunch of sinker pine that came out of the ouachita. In the early 1900's there was a booming logging industry upriver from you. Logs were rafted up and floated down to a big mill in west monroe..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mattyboy88

beenthere.....thanks for the names of the other guys! ill have to give them a hollar! and to answer the question about the gators. they dont bother me. i worked at an alligator farm for about 5 years. i am a pilot and even went down south flying an ultralight to spot alligator nest, and then i go give the gps coordinates of the nests to my buddies in the airboats and they retrieve them. also i dont think they hang out too much below around 10 to 15 feet of water. thats about where i go through the first thermocline in the water and it cools off significantly. what does concern me though is the logger head snapping turtles. i take a metal sweeping pole with me and dont put any body parts where i havent swept that pole! haha.

pineywoods.....thanks for the info! that helps out a lot! i actually live in west monroe. ill head north!

mattyboy88

beenthere.....thanks for the names of the other guys! ill have to give them a hollar! and to answer the question about the gators. they dont bother me. i worked at an alligator farm for about 5 years. i am a pilot and even went down south flying an ultralight to spot alligator nest, and then i go give the gps coordinates of the nests to my buddies in the airboats and they retrieve them. also i dont think they hang out too much below around 10 to 15 feet of water. thats about where i go through the first thermocline in the water and it cools off significantly. what does concern me though is the logger head snapping turtles. i take a metal sweeping pole with me and dont put any body parts where i havent swept that pole! haha.

mad murdock

Welcome aboard mattyboy88! You have some serious fortitude in my book, I have done a bit of diving, but only in Northern Clearwater lakes and a time or 2 in tannin coulored river water, but you could still see a bit in front of you. I never could get comfortable in zero/zero water conditions. Good thing about the metal pole sweeper, we had alligator snapping turtles in northern wisc(where I did my diving), they could definitely take out a chunk of flesh, or a digit or 2!  Hope you get some good leads and some nice logs :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mattyboy88

yes sir mr mad murdock....... diving in black water was a little spooky at first.(come to think of it, it still is) i had to get my breathing under control and get used to not seeing anything. when i go down i follow a line and then start sweeping. from time to time i stop, hold the pole out and turn 360 degrees in a circle holding the pole extended arm to make sure i dont get hung up in anything. also i have a compass and a bright underwater flash light that i have to hold up against my mask to read. then i start a straight sweeping run.

Thank You Sponsors!