iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Policing Red Oaks for the Pig Roast

Started by Jeff, July 19, 2013, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Every year we have a job we do because of the inherent shedding of dead limbs that Red Oak trees are known for. Because of the pig roast, and the large number of people that are in our yard during that time, I try to remove any dead limbs before hand, and there are always several. This year we ended up with quite a pile. The way we do it is to throw a light line up and over the offending branch, then pull a rope up and over with that. We then try and bounce the rope to break off the branches. Anything we can't break is deemed safe enough for this years roast.  We took some video clips this year which I stuck together on youtube.  I can't throw like I used to be able to do, so I got Jeremy to help this year.  :)  Icey helps some near the end. I had to take the camera away from Jeremy at the beginning. He was really a shaky operator as you will see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxn52nLL_6M

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A very good Video Jeff! My neck is sore from looking up so much.  :)
But I must say, that is a very good idea. Get a crowd of people together under Red Oaks.....and if can happen, it will. I've seen the limbs crash and knock dents in car hoods....just think what that would do to a Pig Roaster's head?

But I have to admit, The Boss' best friend did make me laugh at the end.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roxie

Jeremy may not be a steady camera hand, but he sure can throw!   :)

Say when

SwampDonkey

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 19, 2013, 05:34:53 PM
A very good Video Jeff! My neck is sore from looking up so much.  :)

Ya, stiff necked timber cruiser. :D

I must say, when I was on the west coast cruising in spruce stands and trying to see tree tops that are over 200 feet up, it did cause a little bit if 'stiff neck'. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

At least you do not have pecans ( smiley_devil).  Pecan limbs fall, a truth in the Universe. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

reading the title  i thought i was in trouble  again ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 19, 2013, 10:30:13 PM
reading the title  i thought i was in trouble  again ;D

Hey Steve, I thought the same thing.  :D

WDH

"Where is Steve?  He is in jail in Harrison." 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

It's just the nature of a red oak .If grown in competition after the bottom limbs can no longer get enough sunlight to produce the tree just atrophies them .

A pin oak does likewise with the exception those dead limbs can hang it there for years and years before they fall .

I can fully related to the reds though .Those 100 footers in the front of my house are a constant source of limbs in the yard .

SwampDonkey

White birch is about the worst, rock maple one of the least for limb drop.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

drobertson

Just wish we were coming up, uins talk cute ;D and you still say ain't,  should be a safe good time for sure, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 20, 2013, 07:47:46 AM
White birch is about the worst, rock maple one of the least for limb drop.
Since you mentioned that I have noticed sugar maple does hold up very well .It's cousin silver maple seems to be a self pruner .

It also seems the beech trees let them go after a period of time under an ice load.Not right away though ,couple days .

Mooseherder

While you guys are up there in the trees, Raider bill wants you to tie some of these lines up. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CIKploVr24

Raider Bill

That's actually a good idea but I'd like to see it a one way trip :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

Well I've been half way around the world under water twice .Been to two county fairs and a goat roping but I've never seen the likes of that .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 20, 2013, 09:23:19 AM
That's actually a good idea but I'd like to see it a one way trip :D

Good One!  :D :D :D

Bill Gaiche

Jeff, are you setting up the sling shot out in the street? bg

SwampDonkey

You just never know what you'll have to go through for the grand prize at the pig roast.  ;D

Howdy

Well I guess you need to learn of my story about ropes in trees....

I had my landscapers do some trimming around the house, and they thinned the trees over my patio.  This was good.

However they removed the tree branch I had tied a line to that was holding up the center of the tarp I was using for a patio cover.  That was bad.

But I could always move the line to another branch.  This was good. 

So I tied a one pound barbell weight to a nylon rope and tossed the weight into the tree.  The plan of course was for the weight to gently go over the correct branch and drop to the ground pulling the line into position.  So far this was okay.

Up went the weight, into the tree branches, and almost in the right place.  Utt Ohh, the weight is now stuck in the tree.  This was bad.

At this time I wasn't thinking too hard about the problem, but I should have...  This was bad and getting worse.

I tugged on the rope expecting the weight to dislodge from the tree branch.  This was not too bright of me.

The weight was stuck fast so I yanked on the rope again. This was pretty dumb of me.

Soon I was pulling hard on the rope and had stretched it tight across the yard with me on one end and a springy tree on the other. This was bad, oh so bad.

The end was near but I could not see it.

All too quickly I was to learn just how much a nylon rope could be stretched and truly how fast a one pound weight could fly when attached to the end of a tightly pulled rubber band.  This was really bad on so many levels it's hard to imagine.

In the blink of an eye, the weight came flying from high up in the tree, it covered the distance between the branch and me so forcefully I never even saw it coming.  Bad enough for you yet?

The weight struck me just below my nose, blowing out my upper teeth and splitting my upper lip  wide open: top to bottom from right under my nose exactly in the middle. This was really bad.

My lip looked like a camels and I could move each side independently with ease.  This was pretty neat.

Somewhere in the yard lay my two front teeth, teeth that I had grown rather attached to after 50 years being able to spit water through.  This was sad.

I yelled into the house for my daughter to bring me a washcloth and tried to hide the wound so she would not be frightened.  Of course I couldn't hide the blood I was covered in.  This was unfortunate. 

I told her I was going to drive to the hospital emergency room and could she please try to find my teeth hoping they could be re-implanted.  This was another dumb thing but in my behalf I couldn't be thinking too clearly. 

She loaded me into the car, asked the landscapers to look for the teeth and away we went to the hospital, a five minute drive.  While waiting at the emergency room the landscapers called reporting they had found the teeth and they looked good.  This was hopeful. 

My lip was stitched up and the teeth reinserted.  No other damage was apparent.  This was really good. 

I lost the teeth as the damage was just too great to save them but the scar from my split lip was almost nonexistent.  This was both bad and good. 

To this day I still get the willys seeing lines in trees, and never did get the tarp rehung over the patio.  This is just fine with me.  I am thankful that the damage was so minor, an inch higher and I would have a nose like a pig, three inches higher and I would not be here writing this today.  God taught me a good lesson and I think about things before acting much more that before.  This is good...

thecfarm

I have red oak up on each side of my 500 foot driveway. I pick up dead limbs quite often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Howdy, I am glad that you did not have a two pound barbell.  That would have been bad.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DonT

Great idea with the ball Jeff.We use throw bags and zing it .(a light throw line).A big shot works well for installing lines to.  DT

Dodgy Loner

Howdy, you have a knack for story-telling. That was good. (The story, not the accident :D)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WH_Conley

When I first saw this thread I thought Red Oaks Lumber had done got out of hand. :D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!