iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ooch! dang nab Bumble Bee!

Started by drobertson, July 18, 2013, 09:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Well it's been a long while since the last bee sting but I got one this eveinng, Bumble bee at the pump house, trying to tweak the water pressure just a bit, and I must have kneeled down on his hole or something, trying to run and play hambone with my back like it is was no easy chore, but I still can move when need be, all is well, just forgot how much these rascals burn,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

I got stung on the back of my neck . . .put Ice on asap
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Don't worry, the bee will recover.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I'm thinking not this one, after Christy checked for a stinger, not there, I got the red can! the lil fat feller was still out there, and had some friends, even the orange waspers, they all went down,  bout through my back out doing the running version of ham bone,  all better this morning,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Only Honey Bees loose their stingers.  Bumble Bees can sting many times.....until the red can comes out.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

okmulch

I ticked one off today, was walking by the grinder toward my loader when all of the sudden pain in the right side of my back. Swatted with gloves thought it was a horse fly and then BAM! Again on my back, more swatting with gloves and hat and BAM on the face. Took off running other direction and two more stings in the back finally threw hat on ground and bumble bee landed and stepped on him.
Never had one bumble bee be that aggressive before. I had been walking all around there prior to the attack, no swarms nothing just a rogue bee.
Luckily it was me and not my wife, she is allergic to bee stings and has to carry a big needle to stick in her leg if she gets stung.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

drobertson

crazy stuff for sure, it has been years since my last sting, it was a yellow jacket, all of them have potential to make you run and play the ham bone!  david

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Bees..............About the only thing that can make a man run without even thinking about it!   ;)

Been there, done that!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yellow Jackets!!!!

Sometimes when we fight Wildland Fires, we put 2 Dozers together to plow a double line.

You DON'T want to be the 2nd Dozer!  smiley_horserider
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mrcaptainbob

Baking soda paste is preferred, but toothpaste works just as well. The sooner you get it on, the better. Drove a spade into a yellow jacket nest years ago. That really upset them. Had on cutoff shorts and a hanging-out t-shirt. Up the pants, up the shirt. Not a good situation. About a dozen and a half bites. Poison control center wanted me to check in every hour. All was good, fortunately, but what really helped was the toothpaste. Did not know bumble bees to be that aggressive. We have loads of them and honey bees around here. No problems with either. Glad you're not allergic to them.

drobertson

Baking soda paste! 8) slept till 4 then the OPEN, had to watch,

Raider Bill

I find that the next day after getting stung my joints don't ache as much.  ;)

I seem to be a bee magnet. They come from miles around just to sting me. :o
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

This wasn't a bee but something nailed me in bed this week. It must have been a mosquito. I slapped at an itch then went to sleep. The next day I had a bulls eye on my shoulder. It looked just like those pictures of people bit by a Lyme disease carrying tick. A dark red center surrounded by a white ring surrounded by a lighter red ring. A patch about 4" in diameter was swollen. That night I got about 3 hours sleep. That bug bite hurt that much. Next day I went to Geisinger. Doctor says it was an infected bug bite. I didn't even know a bug bite could get infected. He gave me a bottle of antibiotics. The swelling has gone down and my joints don't ache and I haven't had fever and chills for three days. Just a big red patch is all that is left. BTW I asked what kind of bug could pack such a punch. He pointed out that it wasn't the bug but what the bug was feeding on before it found me.

Everest123

Funny, I got hit for the first time by a bumblebee last Saturday.  Using my body (stomach) to press hard on a log to shove it over on my mill. . . . .poor bee got between me and the log.  He stung me GOOD on the belly, but sadly it didn't end well for her.  Itched like fire the next day!

sawguy21

I have not been stung for a long time and sure don't miss it. Skeeters are another story altogether, them little beggars are MEAN.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

The itching afterwards bothers me a whole lot more than the pain of the sting.

Remember you can use a leaf blower on those stacks of lumber to find them far enough away to stay safe until you can kill them from a distance.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

low_48

Read that comment by Den and figured something was up, yup, 7 years old! LOL

WV Sawmiller

I dodged the bullet today while loading a trailer with benches and such to take to a flea market tomorrow. I grabbed a wadded up HF moving blanket off a stack of wood to put on the floor of the trailer to protect the finished wood and when I shook out the blanket a big hornet flew out and I saw a nest about the size of a golf ball he had evidently just started. I need to get out with my leaf blower and check out my wood piles every few days from now till frost I guess. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tree-farmer

Growing up in south standard treatment for bee sting was snuff spit mixed with baking soada. Snuff spit provided by grannie .
The good old days :-)
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

WV Sawmiller

Yep, well familiar with that. Had a Beaufort NC friend here 2 years ago in the Fall of the year for a weekend visit and ran my catfish lines and while cleaning our catch he got nailed a couple times by yellow jackets on the hand. He reached up to hold the catfish we had hanging on my deer skinning rack to skin it and rested his hand right on a couple of yellowjackets which nailed him. He did the tobacco/spit treatment and seemed to work okay for him. Since I don't smoke or chew when I get stung away from home I often just crush up a couple of juicy green leaves (whatever is handy and doesn't have 3 leaves :D) and rub that on and it seems to ease the pain.
Howard Green

Tom King

Years ago, I was coming down a ladder with a tool in each hand.  I liked those tools, and didn't want to toss them, as Bumble Bees starting flying around me.  One got me on the nose, and another on my lower lip.  I don't work off ladders any more.

Thank You Sponsors!