iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minimum Sap Build up on your blade

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 18, 2013, 09:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A lot of talk has been about sap build up on your blade when sawing Pine.
I like to saw my Pine right when the bark is releasing from the log.
I have found by waiting to this point, I get LESS Pine sap build up on my blade if any at all using the proper lube mixture of water and Cascade.
Even though I have a de-barker, being able to pull the bark off by hand is quick and easy.

This was a nice log and the bark just fell off.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 18, 2013, 09:41:08 PM
Timing is everything  :).

say_what   I'm talking about PINE LOGS!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WoodenHead

I have a bunch of pine logs where the bark is ready to fall off.  Unfortunately, I find squirmy little white fellows happily munching away underneath!   :o musteat_1

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 18, 2013, 09:42:08 PM
say_what   I'm talking about PINE LOGS!  :)

Good.  That will keep you out of trouble  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Jumbo Pine David, I finally tried the cascade in my mix, and have to say this is working really good, no pine yet, but on the last hickory it really worked out well.  I would prefer to cut sooner than later, just to reduce the amount clean up from the fall off, seasoned pine is however very nice to work with on all accounts,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

So postonlt40 is that yellow pine and does it slip and slid all over when the log is that old? With w pine the bark is like ice when you walk on it and the logs slid all over the mill the log turner sometimes won't grab the log it's filled with loose bark. The w pine here has a thick bark on it and is a pain.I try to cut it with the bark on it before it wants to come off. I never cut yellow pine it must be a lot different.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JohnM

smiley_curtain_peekI wonder if a powerbox and fan would blow that bark right off? smiley_horserider
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Chuck White

In this area, the worse logs for sap build-up come from standing dead White Pine, next for me anyway is Ash.

In the Pine, I think the main problem is that the sap is actually hardening all through the tree, rather than just going down to the roots.  With these logs, you'll need a good flow of blade lube.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

The great majority of my sawing is beetle killed SYP, so bark off is the normal for me.  I like it.   ;D

I have the helper use scrapers to knock the bark off before it reaches the sawmill to keep bark from building up underneath the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!