iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gauge repair?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, July 18, 2013, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

TK uses a liquid filled pressure gauge on the blade tension mechanism of the 2000.  The screws holding the dial face in place have vibrated loose and can be seen floating around inside the gauge.  The gauge seems to be working OK otherwise.  I'm wondering if it's possible to drain the liquid and take the gauge apart to fix it?  I know they're not that expensive but still, a bucks a buck. ;D 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've always heard if it ain't broke don't fix it.
However..... me personally......If I were to try and take my gauge apart and fix it, I would surly have a new one in stock to replace it. Even if the dial face were to turn, you will still know your tension by where the arrow points....know what I mean?

As long as its working Paul.....I'd leave it alone.

Just my 2 cents worth.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

When I said it seemed to be working normally otherwise, I guess that really wasn't quite true :-[.  The loose dial face seems to be interfering with the pointer and it stops before it reaches it's "normal" position.  Maybe there's more wrong with it than just the loose screws.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 18, 2013, 09:00:37 PM
When I said it seemed to be working normally otherwise, I guess that really wasn't quite true :-[.  The loose dial face seems to be interfering with the pointer and it stops before it reaches it's "normal" position.  Maybe there's more wrong with it than just the loose screws.

Call Woodmizer TK in the morning and tell them to send you one before you lose your gauge.  :)

Ga Mtn Man

A nice thing about the spring tension system is that you can measure the spring length to set the tension.  1-7/8" on a TK 2000.  Doesn't give you any way to monitor the tension, but it'll get you by until you can repair the purchase a new gauge.  :laugh:

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 18, 2013, 09:00:37 PMMaybe there's more wrong with it than just the loose screws.   materhead

;D 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

xlogger

Paul I'm on my second gauge and it does not work. I just measure the spring. I think Steve does the same thing also. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

ladylake

My gauge hasn't worked for years, once snugged up it's 9 full turns to the right tension.  On the 2000 it's 4-1/2 full turns, Tk uses a courser tread on the 2000.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Paul,pull that sucker apart and fix it.The liquid is most likely glycerin [drug store] and put in the gauge to stop needle vibration.Usally the glass face bezel ring will pry off,do it evenly.Rescrew the works and pour the glycerin back in. Frank C. PS if the pointer doesn't align with zero pull it straight off its pin and realign they make a special tool but care and needle nose pliers work.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I would not hesitate to follow Frank C's above instructions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Don't know if your gauge is one of the ones where the front/lens screws on from the front or not.  If it is, take it off your mill, placing it on a flat surface, unscrew the lens and replace the screws.  From experience, I recommend using a magentic screw driver. 

Bruce

Ga Mtn Man

I knew if I waited long enough, at least one of you gents would tell me to do what I was already going to do anyway. ;D  Thanks for the tips on how to do it.

Not sayin' that David's advise wasn't helpful too... ::).

Larry

When you get good at fixing these gauges I have several that could stand very minor tweaking.

You do guarantee your work? :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ladylake

Mine is still the original gauge, just hasn't worked for maybe 8 years. Really no need for it.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

submarinesailor

Quote from: Larry on July 19, 2013, 01:04:33 PM
When you get good at fixing these gauges I have several that could stand very minor tweaking.

You do guarantee your work? :D

Larry,

35 years ago when we came out of a shipyard overhaul, we had so many of ones like that one break or go out of cal,  that we had to fix, and calcalbrate them.  I must have fixed 75 or 100 of them in one 6 month peroid.  Long time ago.  So at one time I could fix it for you.  Now.........I can't even get my fat fingers in it. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :D

Bruce

Al_Smith

A pressure gauge is not that costly .The only reason the liquid is for is to damped the meter movement so it doesn't vibrate itself apart which evidently isn't working so good in this case .

ladylake

Really not necessary on a TK mill, a nice gadget.   Steve

hackberry jake

Figure out the working pressure and thread type and order one from here http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=DGGL thats what I would do anyways.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ga Mtn Man

Well, I had a go at it and the answer to my original question seems to be NO.  The face bezel is crimped on and even if I could get it off I'd likely never get it back on with a liquid-tight seal. 

I know the gauge isn't really necessary on the 2000 but it is convenient to have and I dislike having things on my equipment that don't work.  Just the way I am. :)

hackberry jake-  I actually already have a replacement from surpluscenter.

hackberry jake

Well, they say great minds think alike... I guess ours do too Ga mtn man  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 19, 2013, 05:19:32 PM
  I actually already have a replacement from surpluscenter.

If this is the case....take it apart and take some pics. You may get lucky and fix it.

Larry

When a band breaks it's like hitting the gauge with a baseball bat.  I don't think you will find a gauge that will last over 50 hours with that kind of impact.  That's just from my experience and I went through three gauges.  Two from TK and one from Surplus Center.

Shop bandsaws have been using a cheap little pointer for over a hundred years and it works well.  You could duplicate the idea by putting a red painted washer on top of the spring and fabricate a pointer.  It might be possible to incorporate a scale into the pointer.

I've been testing WM Turbo bands.  They want the band at 19,000 to 22,000 pounds PSI for optimum life and cutting accuracy.  I feel it only fair to test a manufactures band at the tension they recommend so...

It just happens that 22,000 PSI on that band equates to 1-13/16" compression on the spring.  1-7/8" compression works well with most .042 1-1/4" bands.

All band manufactures will tell you what kind of pressure they want their bands running at.  The ones I have asked were in a range from 18 to 25,000 pounds.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

beenthere

Larry
You are showing a pic of the Lenox tension guage. Is that what you use?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Yes, I've used the Lenox gauge for a long time.  With the TK I only use it to make sure the tension is right on a new style of band, than I measure the compressed spring length.   

I've checked several mill gauges from different manufactures...some are off.

I think the WM tension gauge is a clone of the Lenox but wouldn't you know it....orange.

Ljohnsaw

Well, how about you guys that made your own mill?  What do you do for tension?  On my metal cutting band saw, I just tighten it and pluck it.  When it makes a pleasant sound (about middle C?), I call it good.  Seems to work good for that but when I build my mill, the blade is a whole lot thicker and wider.  What sound do your blades make when properly tightened?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!