iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too hot! Almost bit it...

Started by timberlinetree, July 18, 2013, 05:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Working on a job, trying to meet my quota for the day and thought I was prepared. Worked all day in the hot sun while drinking over 2 gallons of water. On my way home, my kidney area and chest were hurting so I stopped and got 2 more waters. By the time I got home, my legs started cramping up real bad so I was yelling for the kids. I could not move my legs. The kids dumped water over me to cool me down. Our son ran over to get the only neighbor around (thankfully he was home). They got me out of my truck took my my pants and boots off - you should have seen the people driving by staring at the whacko in his underwear in our driveway!  At that point I started see honey combs.They managed to get me into the house, but I was feeling real dizzy and the leg cramps were coming real bad... So bad I was screaming like a stuck pig! My wife came home and I tried to get up to go to the e.r. but my body just stiffened up. I couldn't move. The chest pains and kidney pains were still there. They ended up calling 911. Police, fire rescue, and paramedics showed up. They called an ambulance in from another town. They finally got me in the ambulance and I started throwing up. Lots... Filled the whole bag and then some. In the hospital they gave me 3 bags of I.v. fluids, 3 doses of ant nausea medicine, and a shot of magnesium. My heart rate had gone down to 38 beats per minute and my sodium levels were extremely low. Doc said if my sodium went any lower, I would have started having seizures. A lesson to be learned... Although I had drank over 2 gallons of water and was going to the bathroom regularly, I hadn't eaten too much and my body needed the salt to absorb the water. Please be safe out there and not only drink plenty of water, but eat, too! I was lucky I wasn't out in the woods when this all happened... I may not have made it out. Be safe out there!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

beenthere

Besides the water, you should have been taking something like Gatorade.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

I found a new one Squincher. According to the label it has more potassium. I take a potassium pill every morning this kind of weather. I woke up in the emergency room one time due to heat. Not near as much fun as it sounds like. Hit the sports drinks along with the water.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah water alone won't do. I drink about as much Gatorade as I do water on a hot day. 

Dave Shepard

Glad to hear you are all right. Good thing you didn't go down in the woods, one of those big horse flies up there might have hauled you away for a snack. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

My ratio throughout the day for the summer is I drink three bottles of water, then one 32 ounce bottle of Gatorade. At lunch break, I drink one can of Mt Dew, then another on the way home. I put in 23 hours working between Tuesday and Wednesday, and drank 12 Gatorades and more than a 32-bottle case of water. I also try and eat two bananas each day, and a big glass of orange juice each morning.
Another juice I'm really into right now is the "V8 Fusion-Light". These come in multiple flavor combinations.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Morewood

Everyone is different , you need to know where your blood sugar level is ,high or low , before taking to much of anything . Don't ask how I know.
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

Corley5

Water and Monster Rehabs for me  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JohnM

TLT, glad you're ok!  I had heat rash for the first time last week, all across my chest, freaked me out! :o  Good story of what not do and good advice all around.  BTW, I hates the heat! >:(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Timbercruiser

thats a good story glad you shared it and im glad your ok thats good hope all stayes well  :)

WDH

Yeah, I have seen the Bear a couple of times already this summer.  Rough, very rough.  The humidity is so high here that it saps you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Sounds like a water poisoning, where lots of water washes out all the body's electrolytes.  When the "bear jumps on you", it ain't no fun.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mesquite buckeye

Heat kills. Make sure you take it easy the next couple of days. If salt is tasting good on your food, don't be afraid to load it up to what you like. Your body knows what it needs.

Need to take care of this before you get sick. Watch the warning signs: headache, nausea, feeling like it has become really hot all of a sudden, or worse, that it isn't hot at all anymore.

Start drinking water before you get thirsty. Gatoraid type drinks help, but only if you get enough liquid into your body BEFORE you get into trouble. Go home and get into cool before you think you are going to collapse.

In the humidity, you can tell that you are losing water because you are drenched. Out in the desert there is no such warning, since the water dries as fast as you lose it. People get into trouble because they don't realize how much water they are losing, which can be greater than 5 gallons per day. By the end of the day your clothes can be crusty with salt.

No job is worth dying for. Use good judgement. Remember that judgement is the first thing to go when your body is in trouble. :-X
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Not good. I had trouble about 30 years ago. I was busy doing something and kept saying I'll get something to drink in a minute. Many "minutes" later I was sick. I even have my jug close by when I mow the lawn. Every few passes I hit the jug.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom the Sawyer

timberlinetree,

That had to be scary for your family but I appreciate that you shared it - it may prevent someone on here from getting in a similar situation.   smiley_thumbsup
After a bout with chemo several years ago I was told that I would be as sensitive to heat as I would have been if I had suffered heat stroke.  At this time of year, even with extra water, sports drinks, and bananas, it sometimes gets to me - mostly leg cramps.   smiley_sweat_drop

You've motivated me to take it easy on the hot days.   smiley_thumbsup
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Woodboogah

Thanks for sharing.  This week has been brutal with the heat.   I am glad you are ok and you didnt go down in the woods.  I wouild take 0 degree days over this hear anytime!!  I hate the heat.  101 here today. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Stephen Alford

I drink coconut water and a jug of almond milk plus the water. Makes a difference. Stephen
logon

justallan1

Sure glad that you're okay and thanks for the reminder. I buy bananas when we can get them here and carry peanut butter crackers and granola bars everywhere, and drinks.
My problem is that out in the heat I just flat don't want to eat and have to make myself, even if it's just a bit at a time.
Thanks for sharing.

Allan

ND rancher

Thanks for sharing! I tend to put off eating and drinking all the time.Yesterday I was doing cow work in the hot sun most of the day.It was 93° and high humidity,I felt like a rag when my wife called at 8:00 and said she needed me in town asap.Got in the ac car and got tired real quick.
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

chep

After 2 close calls over the last few years I have found my personal cure all, I bring a jar of pickles on hot days. Drink half the jar eat half the pickles per day. It has been a lifesaver. Salt and vinegar are really good for you. On top of several gallons of water.

Scary stuff this heat stroke. Be safe out there!

Ed_K

On tuesday I started to over heat with the cramps and quit at 11:00 by late afternoon the kidney stone started to move. Seems every time I've over heated I've had trouble with stones.This hasn't passed yet but it's kept me out of this last heat wave  ::) .
We get the big bottles of oceanspray juice and i mix them 1/2 & 1/2 with water plus 2 big bottles of water and banana's, I like the pickles thing going to try that too.
Ed K

cutter88

wow I just learned a lot from reading this... thanks for sharing all ur tips guys
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

GDinMaine

Thanks for sharing that story.  It must have been very scary.  Interestingly to a lesser degree the same thing happened to me on Wednesday.  I hit the point when suddenly I felt very hot.  Kept drinking water and ate fruit.  I felt hot all evening even after a cool shower.  The leg cramp hit me around 2 am even tho I was drinking large amounts of water and some vitamin water.  After about 20 minutes of screaming on the floor it finally subsided.  The next day I talked to the doctor.  She said, drink gathorade and take Magnesium.  It really helped.

I just thought of this.   Years ago I talked to a guy who worked at a steel mill.  He said they had to drink a certain amount of salty water while working.  I believe he said it was not optional. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

beenthere

Years back, there were salt tablet dispensers around the mills and plants, and sometimes required to take them. But in the 70's or there abouts, apparently determined that the salt was not the answer (add to blood pressure problems maybe? ).
Then sports drinks that would replace the lost elecrolytes were becomming more and more available and appear to be the best answer now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lynde37avery

glad your ok timberline. I been eating "Cliff" bars for energy they taste like a granola bar of sorts. yummm. and water water water. Gatorade is good for ya too. be safe everyone, if all you can work is 4 hours then do just 4 hours. don't push to meet your quotas if you know you can get by with a little less. cuz your family needs a healthy parent and not a sick one who cant put bread on the table and roof on their head.  ;) stay frosty
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!