iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paulownia Log

Started by Sixacresand, July 18, 2013, 01:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

My cousin brought some paulownia logs.  It looks like catalpa.  He said the tree was 15-16 years old and the base is at least 20 inches.  Real fast growing.  Anybody know anything about this kind of wood?  I believe it will very light when it is dry. I plan to mill and air dry it and cut some turning blocks for him, mainly the crotches. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ron Wenrich

Paulownia used to be a real hot log that was sent to Japan, and they used them for hope chests for their weddings, so I was told.  I haven't heard too much about them for awhile, and I think it has to do with their economy.

Due to its value up here, I never sawed any.  But, I've heard its pretty much a light, and fine grained.  It also doesn't warp much, so its pretty stable.  I don't know how much character you'll get from the crotches. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ianab

Wood is very light, heavier than balsa, but not but much. Considered durable as long as it's not in ground contact. Also resistant to insect attack

Traditional use in Asia was for coffins and temples, and that was very high value. But the market for that is fickle, and needs perfect logs.

It can be used for furniture, and also boat building and surfboards, and of course smaller woodworking projects. Because of it's low density it's good for turning and carving.

Marketing it is problematic as it's a minor species and it's been involved in all sorts of "get rich quick" schemes that never panned out. But the wood is quite interesting and useful, just not worth millions$$$

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Considered invasive in the Appalachian Mountains.  Down here, it was a "get rich quick" wood, but it does not work out that way at all.  No commercial market for it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW....this wood/ tree is all new to me.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

The tree has a bad name because it's invasive and the failed get rich quick schemes associated with it. The wood itself is actually quite easy to saw and dry, and perfectly useful to a woodworker.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom L

It makes a great wood for carving duck decoys, I know a few professional carvers who prefer this over cedar.

Ianab

Light, durable, easy to carve..

Perfect for that.

Ian

just_sawing

Commercially it is worth $10 per foot. However to be a commercial log it needs ten growth rings per inch. This means grown on the north side in poor soil.
It is a wonderful stable wood that I love. It does have a weep hole down the middle.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Ianab

And the chances of finding a log like that are practically zero, and it would need to be a ~100 year old tree.

Ron Wenrich

When the market was hot, there was no problem getting rid of logs in our area.  Growth rates are slower, and there's a better ring count.

I saw where someone was advertising for fast growing walnuts.  They were talking 18" trees in 25 years.  I was talking to a veneer buyer about them and remarked about the growth rate.  His response was who would buy them?

Fast growth rates doesn't mean you're going to get top dollar for that timber or lumber. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sixacresand

Quote from: just_sawing on July 19, 2013, 07:20:46 AM
Commercially it is worth $10 per foot. However to be a commercial log it needs ten growth rings per inch. This means grown on the north side in poor soil.
It is a wonderful stable wood that I love. It does have a weep hole down the middle.
I noticed the hollow in middle.  Now I know what it is called.  thanks.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Paulownia does indeed grow very fast.  Maybe you have seen ads in the popular magazines for a tree that grows to 12' high in two years, etc.  It has large heart shaped leaves...really large.  It is not native to the U.S., but it makes a zillion seeds a year and the branches can sprout too, so the tree is easily transported to a new location by birds and by floods.  As mentioned, it is considered invasive.  In VA, you can see it along the Interstate Highways---large leaves are the key.

It also has beautiful purple flowers in the early spring before the leaves are out.  So when the market was hot, loggers would fly over an area looking for these large purple flowers in early spring and then go after the logs.

As mentioned, the wood had some social and religious importance in Japan.  It was also used for wooden shoes there.

The city of Baltimore planted this tree in the median in front of homes.  Over a three day weekend, someone (a volunteer?) came and harvested a hundred of these trees.  The logs were ont he boat the same day and out of sight before anyone knew what had happened.  They were worth a lot of money at that time (1980s).

It is prone to decay, so do not let it outside to rot.  Also, some carvers prefer a little higher density wood.  THis is so soft that many times the fibers fold over rather than cut cleanly.

One marketing option for dried wood is to saw it into paneling, adding a tongue and groove.  It is unique so should get a high price.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Seaman

David,
come up and you can pick all the seeds you want. They are hanging like grapes right now.

Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Sixacresand

I think I will plant some just to see if they will grow in this poor sandy dirt.

two tired

Sixacresand, I thought I wonted a fast growing shadetree, and it grows fast, cut it off at ground level and 1 month later it is 10 ft. tall and 1 1/2 inches diameter. There  all over the place now.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

drobertson

Unless I'm mistaken I think this is an excellent carving wood, I spoke to a well know carver yesterday and this was one of the types they like to use, it needs to be kiln dried, I am thinking there is a very open market for it. just needs to be sawn thick, dried, a marketed for carving.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

I may reconsider setting out trees near the house.  It took years to get the place cleared. However, I am excited about getting this wood dried so I can see how it does in the planer and make something.  I don't have a kiln, so air drying will have to do.

Autocar

Probably thirty years ago I bought some seedlings they were about the size of a tomato plant when I got them. They told me to cut them down every year then after the roots took off let them grow. But the first summer they were 16 feet tall and the leaves measured thirty inches I just couldn't bring myself to cut them down and left them grow. I could stand under one in a down pouring rain and would never get wet. As they matured the leaves got smaller and smaller. When they reached twenty years I cut one down and sawed 1x12's out of it and there still laying in the top of one of the out buildings. The cold winters here seem to freeze alot of the new grouth. Mine is planted in a small clearing in the woods, I never gave much though about what they were worth I just enjoyed the blooms in spring and seeing them grow.
Bill

RADDA.DADDA

Hi to all FF members and thank you for giving me access to you knowledge base. this my first post and WOW... how lucky to find something like Paulownia that I have had some experience with.
30 years ago I had a nursery trading on the east coast of Australia and did trials on different sub species of Paulownia. We all hoped it would be saving grace for our timber industry or at least another option to Slash Pine. After some year I felt P. fortunei was the best for that area. I couldnt get seed to germinate well and had nearly 100% success with root cuttings which is simple. In as little as 12yr I had trees 50 - 60 feet tall and 2 foot dia at the base .The best part was you cut the tree and in 10 years you can harvest the same size log of the same root system. Sound to good to be true? Seeing is believing.
The wood is now used in surf board cores or blanks becaused of its strength and lightness. I have done tests and can say when turned wet it didnt warp twist or split.
Not certain if you have a word limit for posts so I had better stop there.

Seeyaa John

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum RADDA.DADDA

Glad to hear about your paulownia experience.

Never heard about a word limit on posts.

As long as someone is willing to type their words (rather than pasting something they've read), then I'm willing to read what they type. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

Quote from: Sixacresand on August 04, 2013, 01:24:45 PM
I think I will plant some just to see if they will grow in this poor sandy dirt.

it is considered invasive

Make's me wonder what the guy thought that planted the first one Hmmm. 8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Sixacresand

Welcome and thanks for the info, RADDA.DADDA

beenthere

QuoteMake's me wonder what the guy thought that planted the first one

Doubt they gave any thought to it.
Don't know it is invasive until someone plants them and they "get away" and proliferate out of control. Never know until ya try.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!