iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Behr All-In-One Wood Cleaner

Started by Okrafarmer, July 18, 2013, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I was in Home Depot today and saw this product on the shelf, Behr All-In-One Wood Cleaner. Try as I might, I could not see what the active ingredients are. They are selling it for $9-10 a gallon. They recommend it (on the package) for use of freshening up, brightening up, and cleaning wood. They claim it restores wood to its "original color" which of course could mean a lot of things, depending on species. . . . and is also good against mold.

Have any of you used this product, and have anything to say about it?

My curious side (which of course is a very big side) wonders what would happen if I added it to my lube tank water. . . . .

And I also wonder whether it would help in cleaning up some of the wood I've milled in the past that got too humid and molded.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

Okra
You can pretty much count on it having bleach in it.
Read the label and see what it says about getting on painted surfaces, getting in your eyes, and on your skin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Probably mostly TSP... Tri-Sodium Phosphate...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WmFritz

I couldn't find "proprietary" in the periodic table of elements.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Oxalic acid, also,called wood bleach, is an effective brightened.

Enzymes are also used for cleaners in clothes for organic based stains.

Power washing should do the rest.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Okrafarmer

So have any of you used this product? Is it worthwhile, or more like a gimmick? Or a too expensive variety of something more common?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

tyb525

It doesn't replace a good sanding/scraping to refresh the surface, IMO, and powerwashing tends to make it even more rough by raising the grain to an extreme.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

Quote from: Okrafarmer on July 18, 2013, 11:46:38 PM
So have any of you used this product? Is it worthwhile, or more like a gimmick? Or a too expensive variety of something more common?

I assume you are thinking of cleaning off a deck, and not thinking of this as something to add to your lube tank.
If a deck, or similar:
I'd just mix up a strong solution of bleach/water mix and wet the wood, spray on the solution, let set or brush with a stiff broom while wet, and then hose it off. See if that works for you.
Or go get some oxalic acid crystals and mix those up to do a similar treatment.
Re-treat stubborn stains if some persist.
I doubt you can get more "brightening" out of the Behr, but it saves you doing the mixing. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I meant for brightening up lumber that I'm selling. The maple, pecan, and sweetgum especially seem to pick up mold and also get this glazed tired look when they sit around for a while. Certain other species, too.

Tom L

a pass thru a planer may get your wood looking better,  and may be a lot less work also

tyb525

Yeah, some mills do skip planing. Just one pass so you can see the grain better, don't need to plane the whole board down though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you use oxalic acid on maple and other white woods, they can turn pink.  However, for iron stain on darker woods, oxalic acid is like magic.

Mold can be removed by power washing.  It is best to dry more aggressively initially to avoid it.  Note that some chemicals are available that you can use on green wood to prevent blue stain.  A few of them also prevent mold, but most do not.  Good drying is the key.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brad_S.

I do antique refinishing as a side business using a flow over strip tank. After rinsing off the stripper with a light pressure wash, I spray oxilac acid as Gene describes out of a garden sprayer, then rinse. It works wonders brightening up...but not bleaching...the wood. It comes as crystals that are then dissolved in warm water.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Okrafarmer

Sounds like it has possibilities!

Barney II

I get my oxalic acid at the pharmacy--lot cheaper
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

5quarter

Are you selling rough sawn? is it grey stain (weathering) your wanting to get rid of? Cleaning up on the planer is the quickest and surest way to get fresh looking wood. as mentioned skip planning is all that is necessary. Personally, I would not sell any wood that shows mold damage or sticker stain. If you have boards that are too wide for your planer, you can set up your saw to lightly skim the surface, trimming just enough to expose fresh wood.
Perhaps the tired look you mention is simply a fine layer of dust on the surface. if so, lay them out and power wash using the red, wide fan tip. let dry and restack indoors.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!