iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying lapsideing

Started by Tim Lea, July 16, 2013, 03:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Lea

I'm going to cut some lap sideing for a house I bought and I'm not shore how to sticker it to dry it to keep it from cuping. Would like to hear how some of you stack it to dry it.. THANKS

Barney II

Good afternoon---sitting in  the house with 90 plus degrees outside.  You probably have the same thing ;D   I would ask species of wood, size of siding in width and thickness .  The thickness would be important at both edges. What equipment would you use to cut the siding.  Enough with the questions :D  I have done siding ==white pine==by cutting it 3/8 thick and 8 inches wide with 7 inches exposed. This is a just a slab board.   I am diddling with some pine shingles right now and do not have favorable results at the thin end with using 1/8 inch.  Depending on the wood I would go the 3/8 inch thick slab and perhaps nail it on before it gets a chance to curl , let it dry for just a short time might be in order, but not too long.  You will have different weather conditions than I have so keep that in mind      Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Planman1954

I've dried a ton of lap siding, mostly in my solar kiln. I stack it with stickers spaced about 18" apart, with 2 pieces of the angled siding stacked together in each layer. This keeps the stack flat. If you place the stickers too far apart, the stack will sag.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

WDH

If you have some other wood that you can use to top off the stack, say the last 5 layers, the weight of the boards in the stack will keep the siding flat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Planman1954

I have had the siding sag with boards stacked a few feet over it. The upper weight doesn't affect the suspended areas. My siding is cut from 1/8" to about 5/8". The thin cut has to be supported by the thicker side of the board next to it in the stack, or cupping between stickers occurs. Maybe I didn't express that point well. The spacing of the stickers closer together helps to eliminate that.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Tim Lea

Thanks freinds that's what I needed to know..

Thank You Sponsors!