iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling Dr.Roof

Started by Jeff, May 01, 2004, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

cktate, or any one else that may know. While Tammy and I were out of town the last few days we saw a couple houses that had shingles that we decided we like and that we want to put on our house.  Can anybody identify the manufacture, style or name/color of this shingle?

https://forestryforum.com/roof1.jpg

and

https://forestryforum.com/roof2.jpg
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

J_T

Ever notice Dr's and cops are the same never around when you want them to be :D :D
Jim Holloway

chet

They look like architectural shingles to me.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

I didnt think they were Chet. Look at the water lines. I think they are colored with shadows and stuff to just look like the architectural shingles.  I didnt think architectural shingles had the water lines like 3 tab

Rocky_J

I agree, they look like Architectural shingles. I just got done helping a neighbor shingle his roof about 2 months ago with architectural shingles. He got a deal on leftover stock and they were cheaper than standard shingles. They had the water channels like the ones in your picture, Jeff. The additional layer was mostly for looks and didn't really add to roof protection from what I could see. They were certainly harder to trim!

Furby

Those are architectural shingles. See the difference in tab sizes? ???

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Tom

What is an "architectural" shingle?

Jeff

QuoteJeff check this site. They have some pretty good close up shots. http://www.iko.com/products/residential/residential.asp?region_id=2&TASK=Products

Went clear through it Chet. Looks real simlar but no ceeger.

Tom

What is an architactural shingle?

Kevin

Hey, there's an echo in here!  :D

Jeff

Jeff

QuoteDoes the winner get a FF Hat?

mebbe :)  If you pay the shipping? ;)  

I think that Or the prariewood may be the ticket. Sure looks right.

Jeff

Looked closer. Its too brown.

Danny_S

Yer too DanG fussy!!  :D  

Maybe the one you seen is faded!   ;D ;D  

Ize' will pay de shippin.  ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Haytrader

Out here in the flat we call um Heritage.
That is probly a brand name.
Very popular and heavier than the old 3 tab.
Haytrader

Tom

Architectural Shingle: Shingle that provides a dimensional appearance. See also Dimensional Shingle or Laminated Shingle

Dimensional Shingle: A shingle that is textured, or laminated to produce a three-dimensional effect. Also known as Laminated or Architectural Shingles.

Laminated Shingles: See "Dimensional Shingles" or "Architectural Shingles".

:-/ :-/ :-/ ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :D

Jeff

I'n not fussy. I only ask for one little thing. Perfection. ;D

Danny_S

Yoose dont ask fer much... :D  

They make alot-a nice stuff on that site......
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

ScottAR

Tom,  Architectural shingles are made different than a standard 3 tab.  They vary the tab width and glue on extra tabs with shadow lines around em.  They want it to look like either wood shingles or slate depending on color.  

Owens Corning are the ones I'm familar with.  They are available in 30yr., 40yr., and 50yr. ratings.  To make the factory warranty good one has to get the special ridge shingles.  
The 30yrs figure just like 3tabs but the 40s and 50s figure at 4 bundles and 5 bundles a square as they are thicker and heavier shingles.  

The 30yrs are goin for about $40 a square in the store at the moment.  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

etat

Probably these.  http://hostingprod.com/@awhobor.com/roofing_owenscorning_prominence-ar.htm

I'm thinking Serria Blend, but you can't always trust pictures.

Sorry I'm running late.  I havn't ever put these on but a few years ago I did put a similar, not owens corning, shingle on a house at oxford.  I don't know if Owens Corning are laminated or not, but the ones I put on at Oxford were a 'laminated three tab shingle', I believe either a 40 or 50 year shingle.  

I usually recommend 30 year shingle as I absolutely believe a shingle won't last longer than that.  The price really jumps from 30 to 40 year, and thought 40 are thicker, the coatings are usually the same and will both weather off equally.  Properly applied and nailed on the nail lines as required, and with the correct number of fasteners either will stay on the house about the same.  So if they did last over 30 years, well they'd look awful.  Truthfully, usually before they wear out you'll catch a hail storm and get some insurance help on replacement.

Also a laminated shingle should be applied on a 45 up the roof, not a straight 6 inch offset like three tab.  

The biggest problem with shingles blowing off, not the proper number of fasteners, or nailing above the nail line.  Shingles applied on a 45 are more stable in high wind than run in a 6 inch offset up the roof. Also it is possible, but more difficult to install three tab shingles on a 45 AND keep the rain keyways straight up and down. You just have to do more measuring and pop more lines.  It doesn't take many lines to keep a regular arcitect shingle straight, and running on a 45.  Also there is much less waste with a regular architect shingle.

In my experience, you put on a Certainteed, a GAF, a Tamco, and a Owens Corning shingle roof on houses side by side, the Owens Corning will be the first one to start loseing tabs in high wind.  This would be if you used all three tab shingles.  I personally believe their glue is defective and prone tto come loose in extreme temperature change situations, and high winds.  Also, the plant that produces the Owens Corning three tabs that wind up around here has a problem with their shingles being shaded, and it WILL show up on the house.  I refuse to buy them for my customers for this reason.  Other areas, or shingles coming from other Owens Corning Plants may be different.

J_T, as credit manager of our company CFI, do you think you could do some billing for me!!! :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

shopteacher

I put GAF timberline ultra on my barn, they's got a lifetime warranty. Problem is they didn't tell me who's lifetime. :D
They look similar to the one you picture Jeff, but don't think it's the same manufacture.
http://www.gaf.com/General/GAFIntro_noflash.asp

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Minnesota_boy

Some interesting info on shingles here.  I'm sure glad I don't live in a place that has temperature extremes.  I've never seen it get below -57 or above +105 here, so I've gotten by pretty well for the past 23 years with my cheap 20 year shingles.  They're still all on the house after being put on by a couple of amateurs (me and my uncle).
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!