iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hog

Started by Texas Ranger, July 15, 2013, 12:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Passed on by a friend, about a friend.  Gent hunting near Centerville, Texas, about 70 miles from here.  Hunting hogs with handgun and a rifle back up.  175 pound hog down, and when approached, attacked.  Hand to hand for a while, till the rifleman came out of shock and shot the hog.

After the dust settled, the hog was dead, and the hunter had 57 stitches.  I will not show the hunter for the benefit of the squeamish, but a close call.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

drobertson

All said a very fortunate man, sounds like a close one for sure,  I reckon the breakfast sausage will ease a little of the pain,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

Wounds were gross.

fishpharmer

Hog ain't real real pretty either. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

doctorb

I guess the practice of approaching a down animal with a loaded weapon to lessen the chances of such things happening was skipped?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

I don't have the full story, just as the hunter approached , the hog charged.  Sevear wounds to hands and leg.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They sale Duck Commander band-aids now. Just saying.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

doctorb

Pardon my ignorance, is 175lbs. a large wild pig?  Obviously they can be huge on the farm, and just as obviously, a 175 animal can pack a huge wallop.  Do they get as large in the wild as you se them get when pen raised?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

This is another Mercy Sakes Alive! mercy, what a pig! that boy has a story for his grandkids for sure! Lots of sausage in that one 8) 8), the only reason I am into the sausage is I had some from Tenn, a lil while back, 8) 8) 8) all that was missing was the grits ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Hope your friend heals quickly.

Wouldn't a bounty on feral hogs bring the population down. When I was a kid, we had a bounty on coyotes and it was pretty rare to see one, except once in a while in the UP. For quite a few years now that program's been gone and now the coyote population throughout the whole state is way up.

I know we have wild hogs in Michigan but, I don't hear about the problems they cause here, like they do in the Southern States.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Texas Ranger

The problem is they breed faster than you can kill them, 3 or 4 generatios a year, dozen or more choates at a time.  Down here 175 pounds is about average, I killed a 350 pounder several years ago.  400 - 500 is big.

Ianab

QuoteI know we have wild hogs in Michigan but, I don't hear about the problems they cause here, like they do in the Southern States.

Probably find the colder winters limit their breeding, less food and many don't make it though the winter?  Warmer climate and food available all year round and like TR says, they can have multiple litters in a year, and good survival.

We have wild pigs here, but hunting keeps them restricted to the remoter areas, and keeps them pretty shy of humans, and especially dogs.

Those really big ones are probably cross bred with an escaped domestic sow to get that size. 150-200 lb would be more normal for a wild pig. But they are tough, cunning and certainly able to inflict some serious damage if cornered or wounded.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terry f

I'm sure we have them here somewhere, but I've never seen or heard of wild pigs in the PNW. I just don't see how they would survive if they opened a season year round. Cougar is open all year, but I think they might be a little harder to get than a pig.

doctorb

David-

That story and picture are without comprehension.  Thanks.

DDDfarmer

Local guy with no farming knowledge tried to start a " hunt farm"  Three months later wild hogs walked out his fence that a tame goat would never notice and really went wild. :D

I think 5-6 hogs went out.  Almost a year to shoot them all.  In total they covered almost 25-30 miles.  And we get a lot of snow :snowball:   
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

petefrom bearswamp

got this over the internet several years ago and was later found to be a hoax.
The pic was photoshopped
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

Lady cop and trainer here in Livingston, one of two killed last week. For reference the lady is about 5-10.

mesquite buckeye

Sounds like Wild Wild West hog hunting. ;D Yee Haa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o 8) 8) 8)
Hope your buddy heals up quick. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

elk42

Hello
   This hog was killed on our lease late Friday. In the last year four of us has trapped and killed 72 hogs. We didn't weight him but I believe it will go about 200 lb. or more.

PS    He was shot with a 300 wsm 180 gr. nosler prt. and on exit wound.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

WildDog

On the back of a couple of good seasons down here feral pig numbers are exploding. To breed, the sows need to reach 35 kilos, normally they have a litter every 18mths but with the increased protein are breeding every 12mths. 80% removal is needed to maintain control, eradication for us is impossible.

ATM at work a mate and I are just about finished a 6 week program inspecting 53 properties for feral pig activity with the intention of conducting a coordinated control program. The farms are hilly to steep country between 2000 and 40,000 acres. It is a time consuming operation, we track all our movements, photograph, record and waypoint most activity i.e. wallows, rootings, sightings, tree rubs, scats, holes in fences. We have a bout 50 game cameras to put on bait sites/traps. Things are getting dry and the pigs are now holed up in the hills and grazing more than rooting.

QuoteHello
   This hog was killed on our lease late Friday. In the last year four of us has trapped and killed 72 hogs. We didn't weight him but I believe it will go about 200 lb. or more.

elk42 do you guys eat the feral hogs you get?     
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

elk42

Hello WildDog

Been hunting with grandson an he got one photo below.
  Now about the hogs Yes but not all. We pick the ones to eat by size, fat, smell, and health. We dress it and put in cooler two days then cut some loin out and fry to check taste if good we process. We process it in fry meat, sausage, roast and ground meat mixed ten #pork to three # bacon, makes good hamburger. The 200# hog was real good.

PS Came in with the deer and  said  need to get it dressed, he said no I wont to dress it myself. He did a real good job.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,

thecfarm

That deer looks HUGE. What was the weight? Looks like dress would be 200.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

elk42

Hello thecfarm
    We did not  have any scales, I think it go about 175 # before dress 

thecfarm

Must be the way the picture was taken.Looked like a big neck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!