iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaking her in

Started by sawdusty1, July 14, 2013, 06:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdusty1

This 8' X 28" red oak is about all my rig can handle and I'm at my limit with this one.  I cut 3 12' x 28" but it is two much for my tractor.  Earl at Newnan Ga talked me out of getting the 60" logrite and said all I needed was the 48".  It could hardly bite into these logs.  I'll bet ya'll more experienced sawmill guys laugh at us nieve newbies.  Maybe those hydraulics ain't such a bad deal after all.
I got to weld a bracket for my 12000 lb winch for my trailer and I'll get those 12 footers then.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Bibbyman

New orange paint always makes me smile!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

Looks like a good shake down to me!  Keep it up,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I kinda disagree with Earl.  I have hydraulics and still value the 60" cant hook.  Yes, the 48" cant hooks are used more often, but there are reasons for the 60".  Very good reasons.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WoodenHead

I have 48" cant hooks.  Rolling a 28" or flipping a large cant on a manual mill I wish at times that I had a 60" cant hook.  Being about 170 lbs I need a little bit more length for leverage at times.  :D

Bibbyman

We have 60", 36" and two 30" LogRite cant hooks but no 48".  If it's too big for the 60", we break out the Terex!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Nomad

You bought a manual mill and he talked you out of the 60" Logrite?  He's crazy.  I prefer the 60" over the 48" at least half the time.  And on the really big logs I wish I had one of the big ones!
     When I have to roll a log any distance, I grab the 60" peavey and give some young buck the 48".  Most of 'em don't understand the difference in leverage, and I get to look like Macho Man. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

With big logs and a manual mill, you must have the logrite megahook.  It is indispensable.  Don't wait, order it.  You won't regret it.  I also have a LT15 and I can turn really big logs with the megahook. 

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/Megahook

You will not regret it  :).   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

Buy the bigger hook for your cant hook handle and change it out for those large logs. That's what I do.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawdusty1

How much is just the bigger hook.  I got a cheater pipe I can slide over my 48" logrite handle.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

thecfarm

Earl,typical saleman.  ::)  I have a tendency to buy bigger than what I need now. Than it's just the right size.   ;D  I've had them tell me I won't need it or use it. I just say,Who is using it,you or me? Than I say Who's buying it,you or me? that gets the answer I wanted and I get what I want. Some hardly even use the product,but they know what I need. would be nice to have both.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The megahook has saved my manual-sawmilling-bacon a number or times. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: WDH on July 14, 2013, 10:07:16 PM
The megahook has saved my manual-sawmilling-bacon a number or times.

A megahook sure would have been cheaper than hydraulics.  Live and learn... :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dan_Shade

My 60" logrites do the bulk of the work for me.  I only use a 48" for small logs (where the 60 won't work) and to turn small cants on the mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

customsawyer

Thecfarm Earl is not a typical salesman. He has done more milling than most and can really make a sawmill dance.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sawdusty1

Yes, Tim told me Earl did competition sawing.  I really enjoyed dealing with Earl.  He is a very humble and easy going no pressure salesman.  I don't think he realized how big some of the trees were I would be cutting.  I will be getting the megahook soon.  I have been using a floor jack to help get turning the log started. 

Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Sixacresand

Nice looking Mill, tractor and place, Sawdusty.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sawdusty1

Thanks Sixacresand. Do you have a pic of how you mounted your winch to your trailer.  That's my next job. Got some logs cut that my tractor won't budge.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

thecfarm

Sorry about that Earl. Just thought he was a salesman that don't really use the stuff he sells.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Sawdusty
I suspect you have a 3 ph lift on your Massey. That will help you lift one end of a log to pull (carefully as you don't have front end weight to counterbalance the load).

There is a limit on log size that each rig will move.  Maybe you are finding out what that is. :)
The log shown is big, and dragging it on the ground leaves a big cleaning job before running the band through it to make your cuts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawdusty1

I washed that one down good before I sawed it but that dirt is buried in that bark and you can't wash it all out.  Thats why I am making me a bracket now for my trailer winch.  Yes that log was 28"x25"X12'--that is the limit--I still can't believe I got it up the hill. I move the log up my ramps with the box blade.  The pallet attachment for smaller logs is the way to go for my situation.   I'll be glad to be done with this too big of a tree for me.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

qbilder

I couldn't survive without my 60" logrite. It goes where I go, whether in the woods or at the mill. The 48" just doesn't cut it.   
God bless our troops

WDH

Wow, that is a nice southern red oak.  I am partial to trees  :D.

Bill Gaiche

Very nice rigs. For about $100.00 you if not but a friend with a lathe and welder can add a winch with a clawed log turner on your mill. Its easier than you think and will turn any log you put on that mill. bg

Thank You Sponsors!