iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are OLYMPYK chain saws any good ?

Started by jim_ball, May 01, 2004, 07:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim_ball

anyone have any experience with them ?  how is weight & performance ?  are parts availible & reasonably priced ?
are italian ignition modules expensive  ?
thanks -- jim

oldsaw-addict

Welcome jim-ball  the olympik saws are reliable tough and fairly well liked by almost everyone who has one.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

jokers

And heavier than a dead minister, LOL.

Most Olympyks are kind of heavy for the performance they give, but they are well made.

Parts shouldn`t be a problem but with the limited number of dealers, expect them to be selling at retail. Don`t know about the ignitions.

Russ

Minnesota_boy

I've run an Olympic for many years, cutting and blocking 10-12 cords of firewood each year.  I've had one rod bearing fail in that time, ruining the engine.  I was impressed enough with the performance to buy another just like it.  A neighbor gave me another for spare parts  that he had used in his logging operation because the handle mounts weren't strong enough for him, but mine has never given me any problems.  The Stihl and Husqvarna models similar might be of higher performance, but that performance comes at a higher price also.  JMHO
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

redpowerd

they call them efco now
seems the plastic they are made with isnt too tough
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Hunter

The olymic 980 is and Efco 981. We have one thats ported and it really is a strong saw.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

ehp

when i got the 980 here and ran it ,it was ok but not to fast but after some work on the saw it turned out pretty good and i didnot have to do much, the porting numbers are fairly close to start with and just alittle more and it goes now, this saw most likely is the biggest gain that i have got out of woodsported saws, so if you are down in the Springfield area and you here a 980 with alittle more rumple to it , just stand back and watch , she rock and rolls now

tony_marks

yes the olympic saws rank with the other high end saws..
 bot a 962 i really think a lot of

redpowerd

any serious questions on these saws, my neighbor is a dealer :)

id rate them with the rest, cept they seem so cheaply made

i like the fuel primer bulb ::)reminds me of weed-whackin
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

incognitive

I've not used one, but "seems cheaply made" crossed my mind while fondling various models in John Deere green one day last year.  They do seem quite a good value, though.

tony_marks

well fellas we ll just have to disaggree.. i find absolutly no cheapness in my 962..wish it had a decompression ,,but thats no real problem..have these saws changed,, as mine is several yrs old..i find nothing cheaply made.. of course my 962 does not have the primer bulb mentioned. but ive got 3-4 yr old equipment with primer bulbs. still doing fine

tony_marks

well let me be a little clearer .. ill  cut this saw against any stock saw at the same cc and 16 inch bar length . its not been modified.. and i got 2 hundred that has learned to talk.. it says the the 962 will beat your saw ..this being in 16 inch hardwood...
 im not bragging boys i just think this thing,, with my set up is as bad in wood as ive seen.. course i aint seen all ofum by no means.

OTH-George

I ran a resource recovery company in 1985. We cut firewood from logs (oak, beech, black gum, hickory, walnut, poplar, ash, maple) that were dumped at a CDD landfill. We used a number of different saws: Jonsereds, Stihl, McCulloch, Poulan, Kioritz or Echo, Olympyk, and Sachs Dolmar. The McCulloch and Poulan saws did not hold up well - I would not buy another. The Jonsereds and Sachs Dolmar were excellent. Stihls were OK, but most of our cutters liked the Jonsered or Sachs better. The Olympyk was a big saw, around 5.4 c.i.d. I still have this saw. I had to have the carb overhauled after it had been unused for 25 years, but it still works great. It's big and heavy, so you don't want to do overhead cutting, but it can really cut some wood!

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

NCFarmboy

All mine are newer Efcos.  They ain't going anywhere.  I used to really like the 55 Husky as an allround saw til I got a 156.  It will cut circles around it.  I love my Efco saws 156,956 ported,5-165,962,7200,181,2-8200.  Good dependable saws.  Only drawback is poor support for parts.  I haven't needed any tho.  I did need a starter spring for a well used 165 wasn't a problem to get.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

thecfarm

I have a 152 that won from the forum last year.  ;D I had never even heard of a Efco. did a google on dealers and have one about ½ hour and another about 45 minutes. seem like there was quite a few dealers in Maine,that I did not know. I've used it quite a bit for limbing and cut down a few trees with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!