iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RPM'S???

Started by Woodhog, December 07, 2012, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

I got a Fast-tach recently and now would like to check my saws for tuning ..

What are the   "H" RPM settings , as I have never tuned with a tach before.

Husky  357 XP.. I heard 13,000

Jonsered 2159

Husky Rancher 55

Jonsered 2054

Husky 343R  Cleaning saw

How many RPM's should they drop on my test log, if tuned up properly and chain cutting good.

Thanks

T Welsh

Woodhog, You may get a lot of replies on this topic! But beware when you tune a 2 stroke you can lean it out too much and burn a piston and jug down in a heart beat if not careful. Saws are in a category all there own and have specific needs! When you lean a saw out and it sings to high heaven,it will be short lived. put another half to quarter turn back into it and be safe. Tim

Al_Smith

Way too many people rely on a tachometer reading like it's the Gospel truth that's where the saw should run .Nothing could be further from the truth .

Put the tach on the shelf ,tune that saw until you hear a slight richness and stick in it the wood .After it has cut in a ways that  rich sound should give way to a nice crisp even sound of power .If you get it that way that's as good as it gets regardless of what that tach says .Now get out the tach and see where it's at . ;)

Now soon along might come a whole flock of them to disagree with me but I imight add I've never seen a hotsaw builder ever use a tach to set final WOT speed on a saw engine .

Slab Slicer

I used to build and tune 2 stoke motors for racing moto-cross. One of the best indicators of a well tuned motor is the color of the spark plug electrodes. Too rich, and it'll be black, and the motor will bog at high RPMs. Too lean, and it'll be white. You want a tan plug after running WOT, and then shutting it down. As mentioned above, a lean motor will scream, but not for long. If it sounds like it's winding out way too high, you're in trouble. Another thing that will affect the clean running of your saw is the air filter. Before doing any tuning, clean the filter really well. JMHO
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Cut4fun

I like them 4 stroking and clean up in the wood. Tune by ear and use a tach just to make sure you are not at some crazy  rpm's.

lumberjack48

I set mine at the highest rpm it would run before dumping. Just because i had it set there doesn't mean i held it there all the time. I liked it set this way for limbing, i liked to roll my saw down a tree butterflying the throttle keeping up with my steady pace, sounding like a model airplane.

The same when bucking up, i wanted as much chain speed i could get out of it, butterflying the throttle though a big cut. I could get by with half the cc's that most guys carried because of the way i filed and set the rpm's.

I learned this from yrs an yrs of running a saw. [BUT] Theres always that but, if i were to hand this saw over to somebody, even my father i'd better open the high jet about 1/4 turn, or they'll toast it.

Back in 68 strip cutting Tamarack, i had a 1010 McCulloch. I had that set so that it sounded like a model airplane. Boy was that fun to piece cut with compared to a XL 12 Homelite. But the Mac was hard to start sometimes.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ladylake

Set lean they will rev high but have no torque , bog easy. Cutforfun has it right.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

I set my saws up after they are fully warmed up and then sink it into a test log and set the high speed screw while its cutting in the log.This is a real world in which it lives and has a load on the engine. I then check the low speed and adjust it to the right speed and then adjust the idle screw for proper speed. After a tank of gas I may have to do a little tweaking,but this method has never failed me. I just rebuilt an 046 Magnum,New jug and piston and have run a half a tank of gas through it and will not give it back to a buddy until I feel its safe for all around use. He lent it out and it came back to him toasted (straight gas). I did not know this when I tore it down and could not figure out why it leaned out and fried the jug and piston,I checked the intake boot for cracks and checked to high speed screw and it was right at 1 turn out was getting ready to check to bottom end seals and he stopped by and told me what happened,That little mistake cost him $325.00 in parts! I tried to buy the saw,but he said rebuild it I like the saw. He now has a great running saw and is $325 wiser about lending his equipment out! Tim

lumberjack48

I didn't have a problem falling for two skidders with a 034 Super. I set it at 13,500 to 14,000 with a 16" bar full chisel 3/8, rakers at 25 to 30 thous, filed with a 5/32 file, pulling about a 1/8 chip, cut like a razor blade.

I can see using the power band when cutting 24" and up. When cutting smaller wood i run on R's, its just like carrying a knife around.

I had a 1000 cds of plantation pine to cut, i had 3, 266's at the time. I thought i'd buy something a little smaller. The 44's and 50 Ranchers were to slow. I was going though flyer's at the Husky dealer, and ran in to a 444 professional, ran 16,000 rpm. I ordered the saw, now that was one hot little saw, it ran on R's not torque. I fell, limbed and helped hook 200 trees a day with it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ladylake

RPM's might be fine for limbing but most people will burn a saw set up like that in the first long cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!