iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stilh 026 Bar and Chain size?

Started by CaptainBigWood, July 14, 2013, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainBigWood

I just picked up a almost new 026 at an estate sale for $200.   
The factory bar is a 16"  .325.  I just want use it for limbing. I have a 044 and MS460 for larger wood.
I want a longer bar for an easier reach.
Would I be making a mistake going up to a 18" bar 3/8" .50?
I have a new 18" bar 3/8" and 6 new chains.  I know I need a 3/8" sprocket.
Any voices of experiences to share their wisdom?

terrifictimbersllc

I have a 30 yr old 028 came with a 16" bar, but I got a 20" bar sometime later and keep that one on it.  Seemed easier on my back.  All 325/063. I wouldn't want to switch sprocket if I were going back and forth between bars.  I suppose if you have the 3/8 stuff anyway it's just see if you can get a 3/8 sprocket, try it out and see if you like it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DonT

I did that change on an  026s,because I had some bars and chains from an o34 which had been stolen.I changed the sprocket and put an 18inch  bar on it with 3/8 chain.It cut, but it was a bit  underpowered.I just switched it back to 16inch with .325 and am pleased with it.

Furu

I have been using an 026 with a 3/8 chain 050 20 inch bar for nearly 20 years.  Works great plenty of power to drive it.

ladylake

It will cut faster in big wood with a .325 chain but if used just for limbing the 3/8 should work.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CaptainBigWood

What I am hearing is that this little saw will be slow with the least bit of dullness on the 3/8".
The Stilh engineers had it all figured out with .325".  And it all is personal preference. 
I love the smell of a fresh cut Hickory, Oak, Beech, Maple and Cedar, something most woman would never understand. 
Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming.

JohnG28

Quote from: CaptainBigWood on July 15, 2013, 05:39:37 AM
What I am hearing is that this little saw will be slow with the least bit of dullness on the 3/8".
The Stilh engineers had it all figured out with .325".  And it all is personal preference. 
I love the smell of a fresh cut Hickory, Oak, Beech, Maple and Cedar, something most woman would never understand. 
Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming.

I understand you completely. As for your saw, like it was said earlier you're only out a few bucks by swapping out the drive sprocket and giving it a try. Grab some logs and see how you like the performance. Then post pictures. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

BradMarks

Furu:  Do I have your saw?!!   Same set-up since new.

Furu

Quote from: BradMarks on July 15, 2013, 04:38:48 PM
Furu:  Do I have your saw?!!   Same set-up since new.
Depending upon year and serial number they maybe sisters if not then cousins.  I have replaced some bars and chains and sprockets but the old girl is still going strong.  Same configuration just replacement parts.

T Welsh

CBW, Stay with the .325,but change to 33rcs chain. I keep one in the tool box of the log truck to buck off long ends! I like the little dude! Tim

ladylake

If your only cutting up to around 4"  the 3/8 will do fine but how often does that happen,  a 260 likes .325 chain.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

motors656

i think making that change would be ok, the saw has the power for the 18" bar, and if you already have the chains and bar, i dont see how id be bad.
however i do consider you convert to a 2 piece drum and sprocket if it isnt already. air_plane

beenthere

motors
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Are you in to chainsaws and such? 

Where abouts are you ?? 

Pull up a stump,    8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

motors656

thanks "beenthere"
and yes i have been working on chiansaws for a while now and thought joining a forum would help out a bit haha
i am also into the older muscle saws 8)

Vance in AK

Quote from: Furu on July 14, 2013, 05:49:40 PM
I have been using an 026 with a 3/8 chain 050 20 inch bar for nearly 20 years.  Works great plenty of power to drive it.

+1
Mine pulls a 3/8 on a 20" bar great.  Use it for my main firewood saw, wood up to 16". Most in the 12" range.  Does fine.

ladylake

Maybe it pulls a 3/8 great but if you ran a 3/8 in 12" wood and then a .325 in the same wood you'd leave the .325 on the saw.  Steve

HolmenTree

Try a narrow kerf .325 Oregon 95VPX chain and matching NK bar on your 026 and be prepared to be blown away :laugh:
Very quick aggressive cutting action along with stay sharp durability with it's semi chisel design.

On my Husky 338XPT, 346XP and 550XPs I ditched the chisel .325 Oregon 20LPX and Stihl 23RSC chains years ago.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Woodworth

I've run a 20in. with 3/8 full skip on my 026 since it was new over 22 years ago, love the saw for limbing and have fell with it in small wood, I like it because I can carry it and the 044 both in the back of the skidder, only problem I've had with it Ive replaced the starter rope Gromet in the starter housing twice and the normal starter ropes. 026 is a very good saw and your price is right.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

ladylake

I'd think .325 would be a lot smoother cutting than 3/8 full skip.    Steve

WUDPIRAT

I have an 026 with 18" bar and .325x.050 chain.
When I first got the saw ,i wanted to change over to 3/8", as that is what my other saws use and I spin my own loops.
Seeing the saw came with a .325 bar and only needed a chain, I ordered one out and installed it.
The saw needed some work ( rebuilt that carb 3 times to get it right)and finally got it right.
I sharpened the chain and dropped the rakers a little, fattened up the mix and did a cut.  WOW!!!
A rooster tail came off the chain, wood chips flying everywhere, really big grin, and this was in hard dry maple.
The Ground Guy who bucked the 3 foot log could not tell the diff between 12" and 27", so a lot of trimming was involved.
Most of which was done with the big Dolmar. The 026 took care of the smaller cuts. I don't relish swinging a 28" bar very long.
Stick with the 325 chain and keep it sharp, that 026 has become my fav small saw, even over the 024 with the 3/8" chain.

FREDM

Al_Smith

Quote from: WUDPIRAT on July 28, 2013, 05:17:09 PM
    that 026 has become my fav small saw, even over the 024 with the 3/8" chain.

FREDM
You have an 024 like in 41.6 cc pulling a standard 3/8" chain ? Has it been pepped up a tad ?

Thank You Sponsors!