iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mossberg 500 slug gun sighting problems

Started by ryguy777, July 14, 2013, 02:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

so ive had this gun for a few years now, its a field and deer combo with a smooth bore barrel for small game , and a fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. the idea is swap out barrels back and forth and have one gun for it all..... but it seems like I have to re sight the gun every time the deer barrel goes back on. last time trying to sight it in I couldn't get it to, I realized my scope was bad, but before this (or at least before I realized the scope was bad) it seemed like id have to re sight every year, and it was always way off.....has anyone else had this problem with this gun? or do you guys think the scopes been junk all along or what? im not sure weather to stick a new scope on it, or just forget about that barrel and use my other one..... whaddya all think?

ryguy777

the scope mount is one of the ones where its mounted to the barrel and goes over the receiver if that helps clear things up, cantilever style

Texas Ranger

Sounds like either a combination of scope and mount, but I would look at the mount.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

drobertson

I have use my Mossberg and Remington with slugs at times, no scopes, it seems they are moderately close but varies year to year, I always figured it was the shell, not sure, I think having a scope, repeatable one would sure be nice, you might consider contacting Mossberg and open some dialog with one of the techs there,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

chevytaHOE5674

I have a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel and a cantilevered scope mount. When I first put the combo together I put a nice (and expensive) Leupold scope on it and took it to my range. I could NEVER get it really sighted in and it would NEVER stay on target. I called up Leupold and they told me that they've had issues with some scopes not holding position when mounted on slug shotguns because of the recoil. I sent the scope back to them and they sent a new one to me and its been great ever since even when I take the barrel on and off.

beenthere

The rifled barrel shotgun (bolt) I have is amazingly accurate at 100 yds. Didn't plan on accuracy over 50 yds, but when I tried it, I was impressed.
Scope has not been touched in the 15 years now that I have used it. But I don't knock it down to change barrels either. Just a 1.5-5 power variable on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

is that one of those savages beenthere? my dad had one of those years ago... and the new 220 model looks awesome. I think it must be the scope..... hopefully theres a decent one that I wont go broke for

beenthere

ryguy
It's a
Marlin Slugmaster Model 512

Bolt action, but has a clip that holds two rounds.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

pappy19

I use an Accupoint lazer dot on mine and it is fantastic on my Mossberg 500; love it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

The Savage Model 220F rifled-barrel 20Ga bolt action is apparently a real tack driver and slick gun. Built on the Savage Model 110 rifle action, and not built on a shotgun bolt action. From several accounts, this action rates pretty high.
I'm not impressed with the Marlin action I have, as chambering a new round from the magazine is not very smooth or trouble free. But have taken several deer at 100 yds, and not missed any that I've shot at that distance (but did have one get away).
south central Wisconsin

Tom L

it could be your scope, but most likely the connection of your barrel to the receiver. I had an 870 with a hastings barrel that had similar problems. the torque on the gun at the shot will move the barrel inside the receiver as it goes down the barrel
resulting with poor accuracy , you can only get the barrel screw so tight without wrecking it.  a gunsmith I know would take the gun and drill and tap bolts at this location to solidify the connection. to stop it from moving during a shot.
this is why the bolt action guns shine as a slugger. there is a threaded connection at that point and no movement.
I could never get that combo to shoot good groups and wound up getting a bolt gun that  I still shoot now

ryguy777

in a perfect world, id have a dedicated deer gun, one for turkey and one for small game, and then I wouldent have to change up this gun so much.... one day it'll be like that. I think what i'll try is a new scope and rings, if that doesn't solve the problem i'll just mount the scope to the receiver and use the smooth bore barrel

ely

I would guess its the scope... you can try another one pretty easy... another thing to check is the mount and the rings....make sure the rings have 4 screws in each ring, the rings with just two will not hold under that recoil.

Ron Scott

~Ron

terry f

Beenthere, what kind of accuracy are you talking with a slug, I wouldn't think its comparable to a rifle but I've never shot one. Is it shotgun only there, or do people just prefer shotguns.

beenthere

Quote from: terry f on July 18, 2013, 01:19:51 PM
     Beenthere, what kind of accuracy are you talking with a slug, I wouldn't think its comparable to a rifle but I've never shot one. Is it shotgun only there, or do people just prefer shotguns.

We were shotgun-only for many years. Now rifle is allowed.
I had a 2" group at 100 yards off a bench rest, repeated 3 times with three shots each time. That was much better than I expected with the 12 ga Marlin Slugmaster.
The report I read about the Savage 220F talked about a good killing group out to 200 yd. And it apparently only comes in 20ga.
I would consider a deer too far away to shoot at anything over 100 yds. But have taken three at that distance. Normally wait for 20 - 60 yds. and only take a slow walking or standing shot.
south central Wisconsin

terry f

Two inches at 100 yards is better than I would have guessed. Now do they have rifling in the barrel along with it on the slug.

beenthere

Those are the Federal Premium sabot slugs. Rifled barrel, but not sure about the sabot slugs.
Much better than I would have guessed too. If I wasn't sighting in my rifle, I wouldn't even have bothered shooting at the 100 yd target, as I had such a great group at 50 yd (shot three times after zeroing in, and barely had three holes).
south central Wisconsin

ryguy777

i really like Lightfield sabot slugs, and I've heard really good things about Hornady sst's...... there is no brand name on the scope, its just some dirt cheap scope Mossberg threw on there to sweeten the deal i guess... any scope suggestions for a slug gun? I kinda like the idea of a red dot, but not the part about needing to put batteries in them... I really want something that's clear and picks up a lot of light

Ron Scott

Put on a scope that is recommended for a slug gun. Most major scope manufactures now make such scopes and mounts that better withstand the slug gun's recoil impact to retain accuracy.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!