iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just one more Shed

Started by Qweaver, July 14, 2013, 10:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Sarah said that the last shed was "The last One".   But this one is a picnic shelter so she said "OK" but this is the last one.  ::)  I made the girts 8" thick and I hope the bark will stay on for that primitive look.   They will be out of the weather so I think I have a shot at that.  I hope they don't crack too bad.  I'll make the diagonal braces out of 6" dia. curved limbs. We'll use 16"x 16" x 2" concrete pavers for the floor.
Let's hope the WM will work this AM ( woops...tomorrow)  to make the roof decking.  8)

Will White Oak hold it's bark well?  I'd like to close in the rafters on each end with bark covered slabs.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WmFritz

I like the live edge look. That will be one nice picnic pavilion .
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

gspren

Sheds, tractors, chainsaws, guns, etc, etc, don't we always NEED at least one more?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: gspren on July 14, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
Sheds, tractors, chainsaws, guns, etc, etc, don't we always NEED at least one more?

Ain't that the truth!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Nice looking shed, too bad it's the last one :'( david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I'm looking forward to the curved limbs. Good idea with a roof.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Really?  Just one more?  You know better than that  ;).

Qweaver

The woodwork and roofing are done...now just wiring and pavers to finish it up.   I love the look of the bark covered wood.  I hope it lasts.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

That is well thought out, and I like it for sure.   smiley_thumbsup   Now let's see, you need a ....................  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Like it. And like the bark boards on the gable ends too.

Any idea how to keep the birds out so the picnic tables and chairs don't get 'whitewashed' ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That is a very nice and unique shed.  You might want to mix up some disodium octaborate tetrahydrate and spray it until drippy wet on the exposed bark.  Down here, bark is a bug magnet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

disodium octaborate tetrahydrate

OK!  Is there a brand name for that?  Where would I find it? 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 27, 2013, 09:22:24 PM
disodium octaborate tetrahydrate...........????????????

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

You can also buy it by the brand name Solubor or Beau-Ron D.  20.5% boron.  It is a soluable fertilizer additive, and it is 1/3rd the cost of Timbor which is also disodium octaborate tetrahydrate at 20.5% boron.  I was not trying to be cute by referring to it by the active ingredient.  I did that because of the cost difference depending on the brand name you choose to buy  :).

You can get Solubor or Beau-Ron D from an Agricultural Chemical/fertilizer supply place or have them order it for you.  It cost me $50 for a 50# bag. 

David,

I am sorry that I drive you to drink.  It is a heavy burden that I will carry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

I hate to call any project done because as soon as I do,  Sarah will want something else done.  But other than sweeping some sand in the pavers and staining the tables and railings when they dry some...it's done.   I'll be setting beside the fire drinking a cold one this evening.
I built the tables out of freshly sawn white pine.  They will see very little sun or weather under the shelter so they should be OK.

Magicman

I predict many enjoyable hours will be spent there with family and friends.   smiley_gossip food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

The sun is down.  The fire is crackling and the beer is cold.  We have a little drizzle going but it is dry under the shelter and the fire is dealing with it.  I have three bars of WiFi in the shelter.

WDH

You wanted to know what to do with the white pine, now you know! 

Al_Smith

The bark on is neat but even if it falls off it will still be neat .

Red Good

I love the shed / picnic area and only have one question . Did you use bought treated uprights for the treated provision or ? Just curious .  Looks like a very good setup and really like the bark on ends . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Qweaver

The posts and stairway are bought treated...everything else came off of my saw.  I used completely dry 1" boards for the roof sheathing.

Dana

Maybe some small brass or stainless brads nailed to the bark now would keep it on after it dried?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

shinnlinger

Very nice pavilion!  Just wondering how it is cross braced?   Are the poles buried?   Hate to have a gust of wind catch your gable ends and push it over. 

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Qweaver

Quote from: shinnlinger on August 28, 2013, 09:01:51 PM
Very nice pavilion!  Just wondering how it is cross braced?   Are the poles buried?   Hate to have a gust of wind catch your gable ends and push it over. 
Dave
The posts are buried at least 3' and set in concrete and diagonal braces lag screwed between the posts and girts.  All of my open sheds are done this way and have survived very high winds on several occasions.  Getting the girts firmly attached to the posts is my main concern.
We had a family reunion last weekend and the shelter was filled with card players and camp fire watchers for the three days of our annual marathon festivities.

Thank You Sponsors!