iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best (other than Stihl) chainsaw for high but non-commercial use?

Started by Average_Joe, July 14, 2013, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average_Joe

Morning!
New guy here, who keeps the OPE running for a non-profit org with 125 acres to maintain.

Most of the OPE is getting long in the tooth, and I and a couple other volunteer guys do our best to keep it running with the time we have. 

We're looking at what to recommend to replace some of the equipment, starting with the chainsaws.  Stihl is disqualified as we are all working stiffs who commute, and don't have time to drive in to a Stihl dealer between 8-5 to stand in line to buy parts.  The winning manufacturer must have online or available printed parts catalogs so we can phone in our orders or buy the parts we need online.

Among my personal saws are Poulans (laugh if you will, but my 20 year old $55 Sear model starts on the first pull), and Husqvarna.  Mine are not used as much as my organization's would be of course. 

Husqvarna has the plus of a local dealer who will bill our organization directly for the parts we buy at his place (so we don't have to tie up our cash and submit expenses for reimbursement).

Which other professional grade brands have good online support?

thecfarm

Average_Joe,welcome to the forum. If a dealer would work with me,like that Husky dealer wiil,I would go with them. As I say dealer support is important.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NCFarmboy

Quote from: thecfarm on July 14, 2013, 08:03:38 AM
Average_Joe,welcome to the forum. If a dealer would work with me,like that Husky dealer wiil,I would go with them. As I say dealer support is important.
Bingo!  Sounds like you have got it done.  Good Dealers are not everywhere.  Husky makes good equipment as does Stihl,Dolmar,Echo and Efco.  I'm a Husky man but I do have and use all the other brands.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

celliott

If you are going to be repairing the saws yourself, this may have implications on your warranty if a dealer does not do the work. Also, if you are going to repair the saws yourself, you would probably be better off ordering aftermarket, not OEM parts for the most part, or used OEM parts if you can get them. OEM parts are priced pretty high generally. Sponsor chainsawr does alot of mail order business on used parts, and more likely than not, he'd have what you want.
Also if you ask or look around a little bit, you can find manuals for most husqvarna chainsaw models. I've gotten 3 manuals offline with not much effort.
It sounds like you have a good husky dealer close by, and that should be very helpful if you choose to go husqvarna. Can't go wrong with husky I'd say, try to get an XP series (professional) saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

Welcome to you Joe, to the Forestry Forum

Where are you located?
What kind of work is the non-profit doing ?? 

I too would agree with going to the dealer you have already identified. Are you the maintenance go-to-guy to fix all the saws? Do the individuals own their own or the non-profit?

Myself, I run Stihl and the first one bought in '75 ran with no problems or need for parts (other than the handle I broke) until I bought the second new one in '04 (and have had excellent, no-repair experience with that one since). But not trying to change your opinion as you have a problem with your local dealer... and I don't. I just hope he never retires before I'm done. ;)

Also, what do you mean by being the OPE ?  Maybe Other People's Equipment ??   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Well I'm not going to chastise Stihl because I think they make a good product,pricey but good .Conversely all dealers are not the same .Most are good but some are not so good .

Fact I dealt with three of them before I found a good one .They are in the business of servicing Stihl equipment .If they cause you grief just find another one .

mad murdock

Quote from: beenthere on July 14, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
Welcome to you Joe, to the Forestry Forum

Where are you located?
What kind of work is the non-profit doing ?? 

I too would agree with going to the dealer you have already identified. Are you the maintenance go-to-guy to fix all the saws? Do the individuals own their own or the non-profit?

Myself, I run Stihl and the first one bought in '75 ran with no problems or need for parts (other than the handle I broke) until I bought the second new one in '04 (and have had excellent, no-repair experience with that one since). But not trying to change your opinion as you have a problem with your local dealer... and I don't. I just hope he never retires before I'm done. ;)

Also, what do you mean by being the OPE ?  Maybe Other People's Equipment ??   :)
Outdoor Power Equipment. To the OP, welcome to the Forestry Forum!  Husky is good, dealer support is important, sounds like you have a decent one near you.  Echo are good as well, sounds like local dealer support is the most important factor, I would stick with what you have identified.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ladylake

Echo, built good, cuts good, handle great, reasonable plus parts can be bought online at good prices. The only down side is they have too be tuned before running them, most are too lean from the factory, also a muff modd really helps as they come with a real choked up muff.  Dolmar also has nice saws as are pro Stihl and Husky but a little pricey.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CTYank

Another good source for buying saws: VMInnovations dot com. Good deals on factory refurb Husqys and P-Pros. Recently got PP4218 for $94 f.o.b. my door. With a serious carb adjustment, decent plug and non-chinee chain, it spits chips.

Hoping you have a Husqy carb adj tool. The one that's a cylinder with fine splines inside.

RedMax makes some serious 38-70 cc saws. Same potential problem with the carb adj.

A dealer can really hang you up on basic carb adj, and they don't do field service or weekends.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Average_Joe

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone. 

I was hoping there were no concerns with Husqvarna.  The local guy is a really good small shop (former Western Auto for those old enough to remember). 

We're in northern VA, and the organization is a conservation based one, which has a pond, hiking trails, and bow and firearms.

Lots to do, and we stay pretty busy keeping the wheels turning.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

T Welsh

I read the thread and all I have to say is, you kicked out the best and are playing with the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want professional equipment you have to deal with the dealership. Stihl does not deal on line. Tim

beenthere

The real kicker in this thread is the OP suggesting that there will be many operators of a few saws available to the 'weekenders' to use, and he is going to be responsible for keeping them running. That sounds like an onerous task for anyone.

Better if the group supports individuals with funds to get their own saws and maintain them (or get the OP to help them) as to keeping chains sharp, saws fueled correctly, and oil levels maintained. They may be just like rental saws that get no respect from the operators that don't own them. Let bars get in the dirt but continue to try to cut wood, let the oil run out and the bar get hot, etc.

I could have this guessed wrong, so just sayin....
Mean no insult to anyone by the post. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Western Auto?? There is one about 15 minutes from me.  I think the garage work keeps the store going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

Quote from: T Welsh on July 16, 2013, 06:34:54 PM
I read the thread and all I have to say is, you kicked out the best and are playing with the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want professional equipment you have to deal with the dealership. Stihl does not deal on line. Tim
I agree with Tim, not just with Stihl but Husqvarna also. The best saws from either brand are only available through a dealer. There are 4-5 Stihl dealers in my area and at least one is open till 7 or 8 and 7 days a week. If you do have one local then I'd at least give them a look. I've had one issue with a leaf blower which was resolved well. Both brands are comparable in the pro equipment lines and not available online.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Average_Joe

Got nothing against Stihl, T Welsh.  In fact we have a lot of Stihl trimmers, and two tired Stihl saws.  I agree that it is very well made equipment.  Unfortunately, in the hands of a weekend warrior, a Stihl will last no longer than than the cheapest thing from Walmart.  Abuse is abuse.  I'm looking right now at over $150 to repair a pruner someone decided to use as a stump grinder.  The thing that is keeping me away is the location and hours of the local dealer - they simply don't work for us.  I'm typically out of the house at 0500, and not home until 1800.  If I could at least view an IPL online, phone order my parts from the dealer, and pick them up Saturday morning, it would be a different story.  Even then, Saturday mornings at my local Stihl dealer are as crowded as a Walmart having a 70% off sale.

BeenThere, your suggestion is exactly how this chapter was built - a bunch of guys who cared, bringing their own equipment out to maintain the property.  Even today, we have several professional contractors and farmers helping us out with their bigger pieces of equipment, such as TLBs.  We recently had a developer donate hundreds of yards of topsoil, and a dump truck operator donate the use of his time and truck to haul it.  The downside is much of our current labor force is new members working off their mandatory service hours.  Some guys just don't know how to operate a whole lot more than a push mower and weed whacker.  Here again, if a fellow does not know how to operate it, top of the line is no better than Walmart.

Maybe I should hold some OPE operation and safety classes?   :D

gspren

Most people doing mandatory service should NOT be allowed to touch a chainsaw! Someone will get hurt bad and the suing will begin.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

HolmenTree

Stihl and Husqvarna / Jonsered with good dealer backup is what you want to lean towards.
Myself running Husqvarna XP saws I have good dealer support but the "state of the art " Auto Tune I have some concerns with. My 562XP I bought last fall has this technology which I had no problem with up until the recent 90F /32C with humidity hot weather we are getting this summer. On and off hard starting after warmed up.
It seems the hot weather is not a friend of this technology, also heard the same problems from owners from Australia with their hot climate.
I'm able to live with the problem so haven't bothered seeing my dealer yet for programming upgrades but I feel I should.
I know Stihl now has this same similar technology but I haven't heard much about it  from their view point.
I think fuel injection coupled with this Auto Tune would be the solution for carefree operation.......just get rid of the carbs.
Just my $0.02 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with ladylake, my echo  cs600p which i did the mods he mentioned on works like a champ.
I also have a couple of smaller 45 cc Huskies which are good saws for lighter work.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

JohnG28

I definitely agree that people working to pay their dues with little or no experience with a saw should not be running one. That is asking for someone to get hurt. Basic knowledge of a saw and how to run it should be mandatory. It may make for more work for the saw guy, but at least things are safer. Truthfully I'd rather run the saw and have other guys doing the grunt work anyway. Plus you will know the saw is not being abused.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

cuterz

I agree with Ladylake on this Echo does make some fine saws.

HolmenTree

Quote from: JohnG28 on July 17, 2013, 10:26:39 PM
I definitely agree that people working to pay their dues with little or no experience with a saw should not be running one. That is asking for someone to get hurt. Basic knowledge of a saw and how to run it should be mandatory. It may make for more work for the saw guy, but at least things are safer. Truthfully I'd rather run the saw and have other guys doing the grunt work anyway. Plus you will know the saw is not being abused.
Any responsible common sense saw owner, who reads and follows his saw's owners manual is on the right track, operating one of if not the most dangerous hand tool available. Also to mention a machine that can operate in conditions of minus -45 below F. to +110 above F. One tough little machine!.....powerhead and b/c as a team.

Yes a chainsaw run by it's owner takes far less abuse.......in most cases :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: cuterz on July 18, 2013, 09:42:25 AM
I agree with Ladylake on this Echo does make some fine saws.
Way back in 1984 I field tested a beautiful built little 60cc class Echo twin cylinder saw. Impressed with its smoothness, torque and precision engineering I summed up it would make an excellent consumer saw......but would need some changes in design to be a competitive commercial grade unit.

Thank You Sponsors!