iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking I should've said "no"?

Started by drobertson, July 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I got a call today from an ole customer, the last job was a large chinquapin oak, turned out great, this one is two 12' 30"+ hickory's, my last episode with large hickory did not work out so good, I have cut smaller ones ok, but these big ones can be a bear, didn't have much else to report on so I thought I would share the day, I said bring them, with warnings of wavy boards, he said fine, he just hates to see the old majestic logs go to the burn pile,  sure hope the 40 and me is up to the challenge,   david

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BBTom

Do you have your 4° .055 blades all sharp and ready to go?  Sounds like you need them.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

drobertson

No 4's, but plenty of sharp ones, I do have one 1-1/2 055, never used it, might be a good thought, thanks for the reminder BB,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dan_Shade

I've Had Good Luck With 4 Degree Blades In Hickory
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

drobertson

thanks Dan for the post, I have no 4's, have you cut much hickory?  and I have to say, I try not to rely on luck, although at times its better to be lucky than good ;D  david

Dan_Shade

I've Cut Enough To Know It's A Pain In The Rear :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

drobertson

I hear ya, man, just don't seem right does it, such a nice wood, smell great, just so much heat, unbelievable,  david

ladylake

Break those big cants down to a smaller size before making them into boards, I do that with spruce which saws good under 12" and not so good much over 14".   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

When cutting hickory I get by best when I run the lube full blast.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: BBTom on July 12, 2013, 04:12:05 PM
Do you have your 4° .055 blades all sharp and ready to go?  Sounds like you need them.
smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

I cut a fair amount of hickory, this is definately the blade of choice with lots of blade tension and oil emulsion based lubricant. (I use cotton picker spindle cleaner)
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

clww

I seem to recall reading on here that Hickory is the  smiley_devil
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

thanks guys! will be two logs, I tried the spitting into cants on the last go around, didn't make it through the log, but was a bit off on alignment then, not much but enough to cause havoc, full flood will be in order, and a good test for the Cook's super sharps, last case scenario, 1-1/2, 055 wmz, 1-1/8 pitch, alligator looking band for sure, I will put it on if need be,  still cant figure out hickory, why does it have to be so bad?  david

Peter Drouin

I don't cut a lot but my 7s cut it just find. and if your blade gets hot its dull :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Quote from: customsawyer on July 12, 2013, 06:38:59 PM

When cutting hickory, I get by best by NOT CUTTING HICKORY  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 12, 2013, 09:56:39 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on July 12, 2013, 06:38:59 PM

When cutting hickory, I get by best by NOT CUTTING HICKORY  :D :D.

say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

so its settled then, hickory is a pain in the rear, heard it for years, just a shame, I will do it, no time like the present.  david

5quarter

Hickory will separate the men from the boys. As my wife is fond of telling me, suck it up buttercup.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

captain_crunch

Beings it has been used for handles for past 100 years maybe we need to look back and see how oldtimers done it
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

cptn
Likely with circle mills  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Satamax

David. The old timers here used to cut, hard to cut woods,  using diesel/home heatine fuel as a lubricant. Never heard of it done to a narow band, with ruber banded wheels. But you never know, it might be worth a try.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

YellowHammer

If the wood is still green and wet, that will make it much easier, if its dry, it will be more fun :D but your saw will get er done.

Keep the blade tension up, almost pegged,  into the white and watch it like a hawk.   Also, if its a shagbarks, stay clear of the downstream side of the debarker, occasionally it will throw the scales of bark at a pretty good clip. 
Hickory is some real pretty wood, it will be worth it when you get it done.(probably) :D :D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dboyt

So... you're going from cutting sassafras to hickory?  That's going to be a shock to your mill.  Hickory degrades quickly and is more prone to powderpost beetles than any other species I know of (except maybe honeylocust).  Get it in the kiln QUICK!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

rooster 58

Good time to try the turbo blade ;)

vfauto

??? I have a large Shagbark Hickory to mill. What are the most common uses and what sizes do you suggest I mill for stock. :P

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

drobertson

Not sure really, this will be cut 1-1/8 random width, he just hated to so it go to waste, many folks make kitchen cabinets using hickory, and some flooring,  I guess it all depends on what you want,  david

beenthere

Frank
If going in with your stock, mill it to the thickness that fits what you have already stacked. Much easier to dry if stickered in a layer along with the same thickness.
But your call as to what you want to stock. The customer will want some other thickness, regardless of what you have.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpimp

I milled this yard pecan last week. Definitely the hardest log ever on my mill. Milled most of it live edge slabs. Mayb another table. Also cut a few mantles . Those turbo 7s are the cats meow. The butt on this log was so **** hard. 

cutterboy

Last year I sawed 10 shagbark hickory logs. They were the hardest logs I've sawed but I got through them ok. I had to change blades more often than usual because they dulled pretty quick. I used the Cooks Super Sharps and had no real problems with my little 13hp engine manual mill. However, my largest log was 20".   I can't even fit a 30" log on my mill, but if I could, I think it would be tough going, maybe impossible on my little mill.   Cutter

Also, I second what YH said about the scales flying off the shagbark hickory logs. Just the blade going through the bark can fling them a good distance.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Better on your mill than mine.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

He called this evening, loading up and coming sometime tomorrow, we'll see how big they are then, pics to follow,  david

WDH

Quote from: fishpimp on July 14, 2013, 07:51:50 PM
I milled this yard pecan last week. Definitely the hardest log ever on my mill.

To quote Hackberry Jake, "Pecan is the  smiley_devil"  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

They came in this morning, about what I was expecting, fresh fell, but on its way out for sure, why else cut them? Might get a jump on them today, (while I have help) still not able to handle slabs yet, 

The 12' scale in the bottom row, signs of dote for sure,   david

295bd'ft butt log, kinda doty in my opionion, cut good, some real nice 1x12's in the stack,

Thank You Sponsors!