iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning pine pitch

Started by anchorhd, July 10, 2013, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchorhd

i have been using my mx34 on some northeastern pine that I have a lot of on the property. i am having a problem with the pine pitch sticking to the mill and my clothes.
Anyone have solutions for the sappy substance?
Thanks
Reg

thecfarm

northern pine? you're in upstate NY.I use to cut eastern white pine for logs. meaning I was logging white pine. I use to come home and wash my clothes with Tide,the powder,in cold water. worked for me. I would wash my clothes as soon as I got home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Reg...I'm from your neck of the woods. wherebouts are you at in WNY?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Reg.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JSNH

Gojo hand cleaner. Do not get your clothes or you wet first. Rub it onto the area with the pitch, hands, clothes even hair then wash. Works better than gas.

Magicman

Mineral Spirits/Paint Thinner should take care of it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Barney II

Lacquer thinner will take off sap off without a doubt---don't put it in the wash tho ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I use it to clean sap off everything.  I use it to clean my car after sitting under the many white pines in my yard---does not affect the finish.  Lacquer is the only thing that I have found that will clean it up right now.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Barney II

That is lacquer thinner---not just lacquer as in the last sentence above---sorry ::) ::) ::) ::)
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Barney II on July 11, 2013, 09:28:16 AM
That is lacquer thinner---not just lacquer as in the last sentence above---sorry ::) ::) ::) ::)

Barney,

You can edit your previous posts. Just click on the Edit link in the upper right hand corner of the specific comment block.

Herb

thecfarm

Yes on the Go Jo too. I keep some out back by the outdoor faucet. That takes off one layer before I come into the house. I leave it there in 90°weather and 40° weather. Does not get all yucky like some hand cleaner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JSNH

I really like the gojo. Is not flamable, it does not smell bad, and it comes out of your hair. I run a manual circular mill and I am showered with sawdust and pine pitch. My arm hairs are matted with the pitch by the end of the day. I find at the end of the day the gojo pulls all the pitch out.

cutterboy

Several years while I was sawing white pine an old gent stopped to watch. He told me to wash my clothes in hot water just as soon as I got home. He said "don't let them sit over night or the pitch will set and you'll never get it out". I've done what he said and I never have a problem with my clothes. However, hands and arms are a different story. Maybe I should try some of that gojo stuff.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ohsoloco

Wouldn't want to use it on my clothes, but cooking oil or mineral oil will dissolve it from your skin.  I didn't believe it so I tried some mineral oil on my hands.  Takes a little rubbing, but will get it off.

Al_Smith

The hand cleaner trick using Go-Jo or a like product I first found 20 plus years ago from "hints from Heloise".Actually hand cleaner works good for a lot of things.

anchorhd

will the thinner bother the powder coating?

Barney II

Good question on the powder coating, don't have anything new enough to have been powder coated.  Have to try that go jo stuff sounds pretty good.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

anchorhd

I have it in the garage and basement.
Works good or us on poison ivy.

woodweasel

what kind of solution are you using on your blade to keep it from building up?

orion388

I've been using water/pine-sol and a splash of Dawn soap... Seems to work great for me ..
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

lowpolyjoe

Great thread.  I get covered in sap from time to time and wondered about a good method to cleanup

Thanks guys.

Cguignard

I was sawing lots of pine this spring, one thing that I found hat works was to apply silicone spray to my work gloves and mill handles, no pitch build up.

Thank You Sponsors!