iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I pulled the trigger on a New Woodmizer LT15

Started by sawdusty1, July 10, 2013, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdusty1

Well I did it.  Got me a new sawmill.  I have been wanting one for 30 years.  Every year I would go to the Moultrie Ga expo and watch them cut wood but never would pull the trigger. I am retired now and have 10 acres of 100  year old hardwoods and 10 acres of pines.  The guy next door to me is a tree surgeon and pushes his logs up in rows and burns them, so I hope to be getting some from him.   I want to build several out buildings but not worried about making money.  Will load some pics later.  I am on page 145 of this forum and learning alot.  I drove to Newnan Ga and got mine and set it up by myself and it was a job. I got it all set up and have sawed several logs and I am loving it. I took the handcrank off for moving the head, it just causes drag and a pain to use for me. I just use a short 2x6 or 2x4 and hold it against the cant and position the blade under it to measure with and have made some very uniform lumber.  Thanks everybody for the invaluble information I have obtained from this sight.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

thecfarm

Yes,you will love it. And than some. You are going to wish you would of brought it 30 years sooner.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Congratulations!   Making lumber the first day is a good start.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

Awesome!  It is a fine mill, but I am biased. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can see it now.....in 10 years, not a tree in sight!  :D

I'm happy for you Sawdusty.   smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wesdor

Welcome to the forum.  I bought an LT15 last February and am very happy with it.  Sawed some 26" cherry 2 weeks ago which really challenged it for size, but it sawed right through everything.

Hope you work out something with the neighbor - I really don't like burning wood for no reason.

Enjoy that new tool

Magicman

Congratulations on the new sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sawdusty1.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingcha

Congrats, I too bought a LT15 this year and just love cutting.   My only complaint is the lack of wood storage area that I have.   
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

customsawyer

Congrats on the new mill. Those mills will cut some fine lumber.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Sawdusty, the only thing you'll be unhappy about is not buying it 25 years sooner!  Congrats, welcome, and have fun.  Your neighbor is gonna like you better now, too.  :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

m wood

well done and welcome sawdusty1.  The wait is over!  I got my mill earlier this year too, after many years of looking/wanting.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Tom L

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill Sawdusty1.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawdusty1

Thanks for the welcome everyone.   I will continue to read every post to learn from ya'lls experience. 
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

thecfarm

Don't be afraid to ask questions too. We will help you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jemclimber

Congrats and welcome. I love that sawmill, but am biased as well.   ;D
lt15

Happycamper

sawdusty,
   You have lots of time yet, I waited 50 years and just this last spring bought my first mill. You will enjoy it especially having the timber next to the mill.
                                           Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

EZland

Oh the smell of new sawdust!  Congrads on the mill. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

plaindriver

Quote from: sawdusty1 on July 10, 2013, 09:03:57 PM
Well I did it.  Got me a new sawmill.  I have been wanting one for 30 years.  Every year I would go to the Moultrie Ga expo and watch them cut wood but never would pull the trigger. I am retired now and have 10 acres of 100  year old hardwoods and 10 acres of pines.  The guy next door to me is a tree surgeon and pushes his logs up in rows and burns them, so I hope to be getting some from him.   I want to build several out buildings but not worried about making money.  Will load some pics later.  I am on page 145 of this forum and learning alot.  I drove to Newnan Ga and got mine and set it up by myself and it was a job. I got it all set up and have sawed several logs and I am loving it. I took the handcrank off for moving the head, it just causes drag and a pain to use for me. I just use a short 2x6 or 2x4 and hold it against the cant and position the blade under it to measure with and have made some very uniform lumber.  Thanks everybody for the invaluble information I have obtained from this sight.

Sawdusty- -Welcome aboard. I was in a similar position as you, recently retired, tho I had only been eyeballing mills for 7 or so yrs. Anyways, I too just pulled the trigger several wks ago on a new mill. One thing I have learned, now that I have a whopping 3 hrs on the mill, they generate a heap of sawdust!

Post lotsa pics when you get up and running.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Congratulations on the mill! I too am  biased . Great mill, great forum. Welcome aboard,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

WoodenHead

Congrats on the new toy tool!  ;D  Great choice of mill.    smiley_clapping

KyTreeFarmer

Congratulations on your mill, Sawdusty1, you will have lots of fun. Oh and welcome to the Forum.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

drobertson

sawdusty1,  8) 8) 8)  Happy for you man!  I have the 40, but still have a hankering for one like yours, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Good luck with the new mill.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawdusty1

Here are the pics I promised. I am one lucky man.

The pics I promised

Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Thank You Sponsors!