iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maiden voyage

Started by Ken, July 08, 2013, 08:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Sent the first load off a new jobsite today.  I started building the 1km (0.6 mile) road last week and finished it on the weekend.   Although the picture doesn't show it clearly the first 400m (1/4 mile) of road had nearly 150m (nearly 500') of elevation change which provided a bit of a challenge.  The first load of this site was 9' studwood which was predominately fir. 

The property is nearly 200 acres in size and although it has been cut over at different times in the past there is still a reasonable volume to remove this time.  Some fir clearcuts and some commercial thinning to be done in the tolerant hardwood stands. Of course most of the merchantable wood is located in some hard to access spots.  Gotta love a challenge.  ;)

Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

is that your truck? i thought you had a western star. it would be nice if we had a stud wood market around here

barbender

Nice looking road and landing, at least it looks like you have nice gravel to work with on your steep grade. It looks like you make nice flat areas to pile on, our dozer guys just push the spoil piles off the side of the road and that's where we get to pile our wood ::)
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Road looks good. I take it no one has logged that area yet,because you had to build a road? Or the road was not that good?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

Quote from: snowstorm on July 08, 2013, 09:14:09 PM
is that your truck? i thought you had a western star. it would be nice if we had a stud wood market around here
We did have a Western Star but something happened to the motor last December.  At the time it was easier to find another old truck and keep hauling as there was a lot of wood on the ground. 
Quote from: thecfarm on July 08, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
Road looks good. I take it no one has logged that area yet,because you had to build a road? Or the road was not that good?
There was an old road base there from 40+ years ago so at least somebody else did the leg work to locate the best area.  Like many old roads built with a dozer it was basically a ditch as the stumps, brush and rocks pile were just pushed off to the side.  I do not like pushing on trucks so I build a good road when I start a block. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Stephen Alford

Nothing finer than to see brake lights come off and a loaded truck make the turn and head off down the pavement.
   If you come over to the Island pay close attention at any intersection you come to. It seems green means go, red means stop, and yellow means three more go. Of coarse the option is to just " brace yourself "  :-\
logon

Martha White Nelson

Beautiful country!!!  Be careful out there, and have a great day!
Martha

SwampDonkey

Like Ken said, a lot of old dozer roads are a real mess. Nice to have good roads.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!