iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It ain't the heat......

Started by Woodhauler, July 06, 2013, 04:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Its the heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Chuck White

I agree, at this rate, I can hardly wait for Fall the get here!  :snowman:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Maybe we can make a deal here. I'll take half of your heat and you take half of these darned deer flies I have. ;)

red oaks lumber

i hate winter so i dont  mind summer
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

I would rather look for a shade tree myself then hide from a biting wind-chill, although I could do with less chiggers,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scgargoyle

It's been nice and cool here in SC, but we've been measuring rain in FEET. The last few days have been about 10 degrees below average. Last year on July 1st, we hit an official 107 degrees, so this is nice.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on July 07, 2013, 01:42:29 PM
I would rather look for a shade tree myself then hide from a biting wind-chill, although I could do with less chiggers,  david

What is a [chigger] ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 07, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

What is a [chigger] ?

From MedlinePlus Site:

Chiggers are tiny, six-legged wingless organisms (larvae) that grow up to become a type of mite. Chiggers are found in tall grass and weeds. Their bite causes severe itching.

CausesChiggers are found in certain outdoor areas, such as berry patches, tall grass and weeds, and woodland edges.

Chiggers bite humans around the waist, ankles, or in warm skin folds. Bites commonly occur in the summer and fall months.

SymptomsThe main symptoms are:

•Severe itching
•Red pimple-like bumps or hives

Itching usually occurs several hours after the chiggers attach to the skin. The bite is painless.

A skin rash may appear on the parts of the body that were exposed to the sun. It may stop where the underwear meets the legs. This is often a clue that the rash is due to chigger bites.

They are common in the South.

Herb

sandhills

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 07, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

What is a [chigger] ?
Nothing you want to deal with, nasty little buggers, about like poison ivy.

timberlinetree

I'll take 3 feet of snow and below freezing temps and no bugs or bees although might be singing a different tune when my winch is frozen and spending hour trying to get a machine started! Don't know how u all do it down south my hat goes off to ya!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Den Socling

When I saw "chigger", the word brought back memories. When I was a kid, I'd hunt rabbits after school. I hunted in briers. In the evening I would have small, red, itchy spots near my crotch. As mentioned, they are nasty. I wonder why I never get them on me any more. I still get into briers and weeds at times.

lowpolyjoe

It is out of hand for sure.  Not happy seeing these sorts of heat-index numbers on my electronic weather station

Peter Drouin

Chigger Is like a tick ? Then we have them up here.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

No, it an almost invisible red mite.  We call them redbugs around here. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculidae
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JohnM

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 09, 2013, 06:32:14 AM
No, we don't have them up here, Peter.  You would know it if we did, they are awful!  >:(
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 09, 2013, 06:32:14 AM
We have chiggers.....in Florida, its like a "no see 'em" as they call them. They'll eat you up!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Well I'm glad the chiggers don't like snow and cold. You guys can keep them,
And scorpion, poison snakes alligators and all that stuff  :D Up here we have mountain lions and sometimes a pith off moose  :D the bears are never a problem ;D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Never, ever, play with the spanish moss or sit on the pine straw  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wesdor

The heat is bad here, BUT it is NOT the heat that gets me - it's the humidity.  I was sawing some Osage Orange today and I was totally soaked (from sweating) in less than 5 minutes.  And I was sawing in the shade.

Good news is that cooler and dryer weather is predicted here by the end of the week.

Autocar

HOT HOT HOT here , on top of that I picked up some chiggers  ::). Moving equipment again in the morning but probably won't get to excited about working much past ten its very warm here . Know releaf till this coming Saturday.
Bill

red oaks lumber

the good news, there is no snow in the forecast! :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Woodhauler

Setting in newpages chip mill in farmington maine today, i took a picture of my truck thermometer.....104 degrees!!!  Got home to 99 on my outside temp! Oh, i came home and split 2 cords of firewood for something to do!  ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

drobertson

Might as well, it will be cold again before we turn around ;D with all the broken plastic parts that seemly everything is made of now days,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

snowstorm

it was so hot the fire alarm came on and stayed on in my rottne. had to unplug the horn but red lights flashed all day

WH_Conley

I knocked off early today. I think I was starting to melt. Maybe that was just render.
Bill

Autocar

Even with oil coolers on those big machines I would think it would put alot of stress on hoses from running so hot.
Bill

Dave Shepard

I keep a bucket of water handy to dip my shirt in to dry it off. :D I doubt it's more than 75 in the shop, but I'm soaked within an hour every day.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

Ive been getting to the job by 6:30 and at ten Ive had enough,This coming Monday sounds like a nice week coming up.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

Remember that heat makes trees and corn grow. ;D   Also saguaros ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Doesn't make it any more fun to know that though, does it?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

I remember last winter you saying 80 degrees and we were freezing here and I would of given anything just for some of that heat now not so sure  :D And yes the crops look better this year then they have in years but a week ago we got some storms breaking alot of heads off the wheat and laying some of the corn flat. Alot of it has picked back up but some is broke off. Still a long time till its in the bin just have to say a prayer and cross your fingers.
Bill

mesquite buckeye

That's it. You have to have faith if you are a farmer or rancher that things will work out.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

maple flats

I'm another one who would rather have snow. I can work in the snow all day,  but this heat shuts me right down. Today we have 90 right now, headed for 95 and the humidity is so thick it needs to be cut with a knife to get thru. By mid afternoon the forecast calls for a heat index of 100-105. My favorite temperature is actually what I call flannel shirt weather. Wear the shirt when not working hard and take it off as the work heats up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tyb525

I much prefer the cold too. Trenching in an electric line today, was soaked within 15 minutes at 8am. Good thing we knocked off earlier today.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Autocar

Second tree that hit the ground this morning was full of honey bees and I can tell you for sure they don't like hot weather eather  :D. I had to move to the western edge of the wood lot to get out of there range.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Autocar on July 19, 2013, 08:12:21 PM
Second tree that hit the ground this morning was full of honey bees and I can tell you for sure they don't like hot weather eather  :D. I had to move to the western edge of the wood lot to get out of there range.

Might bee that the bees don't like loggers or chainsaws but can handle the heat fine as long as there's no smoke!

Herb

two tired

The way you all are talking it is hot in your neck of the woods, at 90 degrees and 90% humidity we think a cold front has came through, lol, it does get hot and stickey down here. Can not hardly wait for cold weather [ 80degrees and 80 humidity]. This time of the year we start at 6 am and stop around 10 am around here, if you have a fan moving the air.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Thank You Sponsors!