iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the "generic" trees in your area.

Started by hackberry jake, July 05, 2013, 10:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Around here I would say 90% of all trees in the woods are either oak or hickory. I think it has made me not appreciate the beauty of the wood as much because I have access to all I want. I would rather get my hands on an elm or a hackberry than a hickory or an oak. I know the properties of oak and hickory are far superior to elm or hackberry and the market value is higher, but oak and hickory just seem "generic" to me. Do any of you guys/gals think the same as me?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

barbender

Our forests in this area are so mixed, no tree really sticks out as generic. Maybe aspen.
Too many irons in the fire

longtime lurker

There are over 600 commercially usefull species in the Far North Qld rainforest, plus about 15 eucalypts that we commonly cut off the western hinterland. Included in the stuff we cut are the "diamond timbers"of FNQ... world renowned cabinetry timbers like QLD Maple Flindersia brayleana, Northern Silky Oak/ Australian lacewood Cardwellia sublimis and Australian Red Cedar/Toon Toona australia. You could say I'm spoilt :D

My wife is from Texas... every time we go over there I get a reminder of just how special the stuff I think is "average" or "ordinary" is. You're right... doesn't matter what you cut if you cut enough of it you get rather blase about it I think.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

WoodenHead

Hickory is something I would love to saw more of, but don't come across it often enough.  White oak seems to be quite plentiful around here, but red oak (in decent size) is getting harder to find.  Generally we have a lot of different species.  Even on my own property (50 acres) I have maple, white oak, ash, elm, aspen, white pine, white cedar, and red cedar as well as butternut.  Most of that is young growth, but it is representative of what we would find in the area.

SILVERTOOTH

Mixed northern hardwoods here. Wish we had more of the big white pine, as that's what covered the area 130 years ago. Probably thought as generic back then.

WDH

Good diversity here.  The mix depends on the site.  The one thing that is not as plentiful as I would like is black walnut, the King. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Things,be it trees,can be taken for granted. No nice hardwood in this area. I have for hard wood, maple,white and yellow birch,beech,aspen,red oak,ash. Soft wood I have white pine,fir,spruce,hemlock,ceder,tamarack,red pine. These trees I have all over my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

We have pine, pine and pine here on the ranch ;D There are box elder, a few small juniper, some cotton wood and a couple others up on the mountain that I want to bring home, but for anything I saw wood for the pine is ideal.
I wood like to find some of the juniper big enough to do something with, but the bigger stuff around here is maybe 8" at the biggest.

Allan

drobertson

Close to the same here Jake, if any stands out it would have to be Post Oak,  but it really depends on the stand, even on me I have red oak stands along the ridge, and white oak in the bottoms laced with soft maple,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

francismilker

Mine is predominately oak. (post oak and blackjack mainly)  There are a few cedars, cottonwoods, sycamores, walnuts, and a fair amount of hickory.  But for the most part, 9 out of 10 trees are post oak and most of them are piffy in the center. 
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Larry

When we bought our property there was a long drive into it.  On both sides was a narrow strip of pasture to where it gets too steep and the woods start.  Nobody mows that strip of land so the squirrels planted walnuts from a couple of nearby mature walnuts.  Now there are so many walnut trees up to 15' tall you can't even walk through there.

Once you get to our property there is nary a walnut tree to be found.  They were all harvested before me.  Just a couple of low grade cherry trees.  I'm surprised that we have a lot of nice white oaks.  Red oaks are nearing harvest age.  A whole bunch of junk/low value trees because the loggers didn't want them.  Anybody know of a good black gum market? :D :D

If man had foresight our property would have a valuable crop of high grade trees.  Might have cost penny's years ago. ::)  I might have had to pay a bunch more when I bought the place. :o

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

Where justallan is at, any tree is considered special :D Lots of grass, prickly pear cactus, and rocks separate the trees.  Is the mountain you keep referring to the Wolf Mountains?

rooster 58

Here in the ANF it is quite diversified. The big three are black cherry, hard maple and red maple ;)

Ron Wenrich

We're in the ridge and valley area of PA.  South facing slopes are dry, and wood quality is less.  Northeast coves give the highest quality.  The higher up the ridge you go, different species start to dwindle or appear.  On the bottom of slopes, you normally get red and black oak, some white oak, tulip poplar, some walnut and ash.  You'll also find some black locust and other minor species.

As you go up slope, tulip poplar, ash and walnut drop off.  Chestnut oak picks up, as does black birch and soft maple. 

Get on the ridge top, and you'll get into better quality wood and tulip poplar and ash will show back up.  All has to do with soil, slope, and aspect.  A large determination of species and quality has to do with past management and land use practices. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Peter Drouin

We have all kinds of trees, In this part of NH, I think I have 12+ or so types in my yard and wood lots. There is a lot of w pine and hemlock. I think you can get whatever you want in this state.Maybe not red ceder. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tjhammer

around here its mostly pine on gov land,the paper co has killed all the hard wood,on private land allot of oak red and white,several years ago some loging co came in here and cut out most of the cherry trees some of them on the butt end over 60'',back in the 30's they clear cut all these mountains of hard wood now the paper co keeps them from growing.if you like pines live in the area of a paper co
tj
hammer

ancjr

My property is predominately Tulip Poplar, quite possibly more than enough to rebuild my house and barn.  Second as far as number of trees would be Sassafras, and continuing from most to least common: Eastern Red Cedar, Sugar Maple, Rock Elm, Eastern Redbud, Red Maple, Dogwood, Black Cherry, Sycamore, Winged Sumac.  I am surrounded on all sides by beautiful Black Cherry, Black Walnut, Chestnut Oak and Northern Red Oak, Black Oak, Shagbark Hickory.

The short answer is easily Tulip Poplar.

cutterboy

Here on my farm in North Central Massachusetts the most abundant timber sized trees are Red Oak. After that, Red Maple, then White Pine, Ash, Hickory, Black Birch, White Oak, Aspen, Cherry, White Birch, Beech, Hard Maple and Hemlock. I don't have any walnut or cedar :'(
   The farm is at 1000ft elevation with rich clay soil and hills with gentle slopes. The trees grow very well here. The Red Oak are my best timber trees not only in abundance but also in the quality of the lumber....lots of clear and nearly clear boards. I saw more of that than any other species but I always find myself wanting to saw something different just to see what it's like.    Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Delawhere Jack

Kind of hate to say this, don't want people to think I'm bragging or anything  :D, but around here, black walnut. ;) Volume wise I've milled more oak, but for the number of jobs in total, I've probably milled as many walnut jobs as all other species jobs combined.

This is a unique area. Within 100 miles you've got the eastern mountains in PA, the pine barrens of NJ and the pine forests on the DelMarVa.

Five miles to my west you've got the corner of DE, PA and MD, and the area is chock full of black walnut. Mostly semi-rural large properties, very wealthy. Sadly most of the locals are more interested in social status than in making use of their natural resources.  :(

SwampDonkey

The Saint John River here is more diverse than other areas in the region. Where we go thinning on crown land there is no elm, basswood, butternut, ironwood, black cherry, and hardly an aspen or an ash. Aspen tends to be roadside, walk back from a road into a clearcut and the aspen is pretty rare. The forest out there is spruce,fir, maple, birch, very few natural pine (lots of jack planted). Some of those range maps might show jack or red pine all over NB, but not naturally there. In nature you only find wild red pine on red sandy-clay and the jacks are in upper Miramachi river arteries on bouldery sandy till. The best jack pine I've seen, straight and tall like gun barrels was in the 'North Pole' region. A place where the mountains and streams are named for Christmas. Plantation jacks are junk, not planted thick enough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Here just nearly every variety of oak that grows in the north .Three varieties of hickory .Some black cherry ,some walnut .Sugar maple ,beech ,basswood ,cotton wood .Elm but they don't  get large before they die probabley from Dutch elm .On occasion they might make 12 inchs in diameter .

Still lots of ash standing  but  for all intents it's all dead .Fact I've felled a few 3 feet in diameter over 100 feet tall .Nice straight logs .

Hilltop366

Mostly spruce, some fir, very few birch in the woods behind my house.

I have herd reference of stories from several hundred years ago of people walking for 6 days in the shade of forest before seeing the sun in this area.

In old photos and post cards from 80 to 100 years ago there are hardly any trees. way more trees now.

SwampDonkey

Some forest types around here are very hard to walk in. Almost like wading snow. You get into that open black spruce with kalmia up to your kneck growing on moss mounds, the only way in or out is on deer paths. But look out for the man holes (a water hole with a bottomless slurry of mud). [evil laugh]  :D  I prefer mature sugar maple forest that has low disturbance on upland over any, very little undergrowth. But also mature spruce-fir on abandoned farm is good before the fir begins to die out, no brush and regen yet or dead wood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Based on what I see and saw  teeter_totter   in rough order the most common.....
Northern red oak, other red oaks, soft maples, EWPine, hard maple, birches, white oaks, hickories, cherry, walnut, spruce, locust...... these are all over the place here in CT.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ianab

Our Generic tree here is Radiata Pine. Like millions of them.

Forestry is a bit different here. 90% is plantation pine. 8% is plantation Douglas Fir. 1 % is "other exotics" and maybe 1% native forest (but probably less)

So there is very little mixed natural forest that is harvested. What there is is strictly regulated and on a very long rotation, think hundreds of years.

The big mills process pine exclusively  That leaves the smaller operators and portable mills to cover the 2%.  Eucalyptus, cypress, cedars, and assorted other introduced trees. Also the native species like Rimu. Tawa, Kauri, Totara etc if you can get the paperwork.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rooster 58

Ian, when I built my log home in 2001, all of my interior and roof sheathing came as 1x6 t&g. Unfortunately, i had to reject all of it because it was milled incorrectly. The company replaced it with 1x8 white pine

DanG

Around here, we got pine, pine, pine, red oak, pine, sweetgum and more pine.  Only the Good Lord and WDH know what else.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Nomad

Quote from: DanG on July 07, 2013, 09:43:24 AM
Around here, we got pine, pine, pine, red oak, pine, sweetgum and more pine.  Only the Good Lord and WDH know what else.

Yeah.  Here it seems like all I ever get to cut is pine, oak, hickory, and pecan.  I do get a fair amount of cedar.  Now and then somebody throws in a live oak for giggles.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dboyt

I can't imagine anyone wanting to cut more hackberry!  I've gotten pretty accustomed to oaks & walnut, but would love to have more cedar, cherry & hedge to work with.  More than species, it is the grain of the wood that excites me.  For character, give me a gnarly walnut, or a crotch.  But I pay the bills with the straight stuff.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

SwampDonkey

Some day it's gonna be fir, fir and more fir off the woodlot. If the budworm don't eat it first.  :-\

barbender

Quote from: rooster 58 on July 07, 2013, 06:51:01 AM
    Ian, when I built my log home in 2001, all of my interior and roof sheathing came as 1x6 t&g. Unfortunately, i had to reject all of it because it was milled incorrectly. The company replaced it with 1x8 white pine

Rooster, am I missing something? I don't understand how this relates- I do have a tendency to be a bit thick of skull though ;D

pabst79

On my 80 I would say 50-60 percent is jackpine, which the pulpers like, however I wish I had more hardwood! The rest is a mix of big white pine, red pine, soft maple, swamp oak and some aspen. I did go for a walk about a couple weeks ago and found a couple black cherry down on the creek bottom, that was exciting!  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

WDH

Dan,

You probably have some very nice ty ty and yaupon, too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2013, 08:33:12 PM
Dan,

You probably have some very nice ty ty and yaupon, too  ;D.
say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

mad murdock

Most prevalent here is Douglas fir. Then big leaf maple, red alder, WRC, very little western ponderosa. Once in a while grand fir, red fir, and Sitka Spruce.  Probably 90% doug fir, oh and near the coast hemlock, and here and there Madrone.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

My state is really divided with the Western half (where my tree farm is) being predominately hardwood, and the Eastern half, predominately softwood.  Virtually all tree planted land is softwood. (Loblolly Pine).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shortlogger

SYP everywhere but we have a lot of hardwood on north facing slopes and in the river bottoms . I often have people offer to give me free dead pine trees if I will come remove them they think they are doing me a favor but I have more pines than I can saw as it is
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Geeg

I have 60 acres consisting of Hard Maple, Red Oak, Beech, White Ash, Basswood, White Pine, White Spruce, White Cedar, Red Pine, White Birch, Yellow Birch, Poplar, Soft Maple, Hemlock. This is the same for most of the area around here.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

grweldon

As with the Florida boys, I've got lots of Southern Yellow Pine (Long-leaf, Short-leaf, Loblolly and Slash) with an occasional Eastern Red Cedar or Sweetgum, oh, and a bunch of Pine.  I have quite a few varietys of Oak on my place, all of which I haven't identified yet but many Live Oaks, Pin Oaks, Water, Laurel, Blackjack, Chestnut and White Oak.  Quite probably a few more different types.  Of course there are Pecans and an occasional Sycamore.

Did I mentions we had a lot of SYP?  I'm right there with ya DanG!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!