iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.....And now for my next trick......

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 04, 2013, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed this 6 foot slab of Maple 2 years ago. I had just got my LT40 about 5 months before and was really proud I had milled this large of a Maple.

I had a stack of slabs stacked up and I was very patient. This Maple slabs number came up to be moved to the shop today. Note the LIVE EDGE is still stable and dried. I never let these slabs get wet or have sun light on them. They got plenty of air flow and was weighted down with Pine Cants.

I'm gonna attempt to make a table of some sort, I have the legs in rough sawn form at the mill. I planed and sanded on this slab for 3 hours today while my Smoker was a working on supper.

This process will take me a while to build since I still work for the Forest Service and run my mill. I do not have a "Cake Walk" job like WDH and MOOSEHERDER where I can build and show my work in 10 days.   :o
So be patient with me.

And the truth be known....I may mess this whole project up.....but DanG I'm gonna try.  :D

I had 7 more slabs like this, different sizes that I sold for 80 bucks a piece over the last 2 years.
That ain't bad money around here for an old farm tree.

So...here is the Maple Slab.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Axe Handle Hound

That is a beautiful slab of wood!  Can't wait to see what you've got planned for it.

Banjo picker

That's a mighty nice piece of wood.  Were the others as pretty as that one?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Banjo picker on July 04, 2013, 10:22:05 PM
That's a mighty nice piece of wood.  Were the others as pretty as that one?  Banjo

There were several like this. I kept the best.  ;D

breederman

Together we got this !

lowpolyjoe

Wow :o

Is that beautiful color courtesy of ambrosia beetles? Or something else?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on July 04, 2013, 10:58:49 PM
Wow :o

Is that beautiful color courtesy of ambrosia beetles? Or something else?

I would say Beetles AND something else. Maybe WDH will enlighten us on the configuration of this slab or anyone else with their theory.

fishpharmer

Too bad David spilled his coffee on it. :D

Nice slab.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 04, 2013, 11:17:14 PM
Too bad David spilled his coffee on it. :D

Nice slab.

Hey that's pretty good!

;D

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

woody329

WDH

The contrast between the outer bark, the inner bark, and the white wood is especially nice  8).  It matches well with the center stain.  Looks like it might be the early stages of heart rot before the wood has decayed to the point of being punky.  If that it right, then you sawed this tree at the perfect time.  Better to be lucky than unlucky  :D.  Wow, this is inspiring.

(Cake Walk job  ???  You got me confused with Cedarman.)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Looks to be red maple with the usual heart rot for a tree that size.  The possibilities are endless.

I think David meant cake eating job...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Lud

Nice looking slab!   The woodpecker head and eye could be worth highlighting.  Maybe a bit of hand carving?

Don't spurn the cakewalk jobs.  Be quietly jealous.  They're rough.  I haven't had a weekend in five and a half years!  And being responsible 24-7 doing whatever you want (after clearing it with the boss, by  which I don't mean Jeff but rather  She Who Must Be Obeyed) can be a burden.......

Remember,  walk a mile in another man's shoes and you'll be a mile ahead of him and you'll have his shoes! 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

5quarter

Gorgeous wood David...I've sawn some silver maple that had some dark staining in the heart (similar but not as interesting as yours). It had a funny, un-maple like smell to it when it was green. I was guessing that it was some type of bacterial infection or perhaps mineral stain. Although Sycamore will get what WDH describes and look very similar to what you have. in any case, there's little you can do to screw that one up, unless of course your wife wants it painted to match the drapes... :D :D

I have learned to love opening up ugly logs. ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

nk14zp

I really like the "birds head" in the stain.  Nice slab.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

WDH

OK, the clock is ticking.  That table done yet  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 08, 2013, 06:20:29 AM
OK, the clock is ticking.  That table done yet  ???.

The slab is laying in the same place where it is in the pic in the OP.
I've been busy sawing and selling Oak slabs. You need 1 or 2? $ ;D$

hackberry jake

Very nice. How do you like that hand planer? I have never used one.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 08, 2013, 06:30:34 PM
Very nice. How do you like that hand planer? I have never used one.

An electric hand planer can be very helpful.....but what you take off, you can't put back on.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Hey Dave

I will wait by my mailbox and send you a pic if you want to send that nice looking slab to me to get it out of your way :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on August 08, 2013, 07:26:37 PM
Hey Dave

I will wait by my mailbox and send you a pic if you want to send that nice looking slab to me to get it out of your way :D

:o :o :o :o :o

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I went to the shop this morning and started to work a little more on my table. Since WDH was applying the pressure to my work habits.  ::)
:o :o :o WAS I SHOCKED !  :o :o :o
The DanG slab had cupped.

So off to the mill I went for a re-saw.

I sawed both sides and surprisingly it turned out great.

Took the slab back to the shop. Then sawed and planed my maple boards for the frame the slab will attach to.
2 hours of planing and sanding on the slab. Hand plane, belt sand, orbit sanding and last was hand sanding.

Built the frame.

But I could not get the frame to flush up to the bottom of the slab. Slab was not PERFECTLY flush on the bottom.
You can see the space between the frame and the slab......drove me crazy. I couldn't even clamp it down. I know it will not be seen, but I will know its there.

So I take another Maple board, plane and router the edges. Then I sawed trim molding out of it on the table saw. This will hide the space between the frame and slab plus give this table a little dimension when looking at it.

I did take my time and got really tight joints. Filled in all my brad wholes with a neutral filler and sanded over all the molding.

I did use wood screws, brads and Titebond glue. I did lay a square across the top of the slab. I couldn't slide a playing card under it, so the re-saw helped a lot to get the cup out.

Now, or whenever  :D.....I'll start on the legs using Maple from the same tree.

Pray for me!  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!