iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a canoe to get to the mill / barn

Started by Po-Jo, July 04, 2013, 07:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Po-Jo

dont know when i am gonna get to saw , we have had 6" of rain since Sunday on top of a well saturated ground, my yard is a 1" deep FLOWING water for the last 2 days, all of it, what a mess, feel like i am living in the middle of a swamp, frogs and skeeters , gnats, there is no high ground around here, we were on it now its flowing. Supposed to be back up in the mid 90's next week , its gonna be brutal for sure, glad i set my logs up on some decks to get them off the ground, summer in the deep south can be torturous.  :-\

dboyt

Hope everyone is ok.  Any flood damage to the house or mill?  Once those temps climb up, it's going to be like a sauna.  Good luck, and be careful.  Keep us posted.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

That is alot of rain in one day. I would be having problems here too. And I'm on a hill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Po-Jo

luckily i built everything off the ground ( not much but enough) mill and everything is on blocks also so no water, but its just the sloshing around just to feed animals and tend to stuff and the heat. Everyone is fine,  And DB your right its gonna be a sauna very soon i'm affraid , did i say I am ready for winter yet! our winters are like you northern guys summers and our summers are like ,, well Hades ::)

schakey

We came down to our property in Wv,done nothing but rain so going home today   smiley_thumbsdown with flash floods warnings we may have to paddle home !  surfer-smiley
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

VT-Woodchuck

More rain last night caused flooding at the golf course I work at and where my mill is. Clean-up tomorrow - maybe the sawdust and slabs will be gone!

plaindriver

Pretty much the same weather here on the Plateau of E Tn. We had a nice 6-7 day dry spell, where the ground had finally dried out enough to be roto-tilled. We were safely past the last freeze possibility. I got my plot (size of 2 tennis courts) roto-tilled so fluffy and nice, ready for seed the next day. That was June 1. Never made it to the 2nd. That whole plot got siaked with 2" that nite. Never had more than one clear day before more rain. On the 15th, I was finally able to 'sorta' redo and draw my rows. Got some seed in by 1700 and the rain returned with a vengeance at 1730. Again, havent had more than one day of non-rain since. Many of the "real" farmers around here have given up on getting their corn in and have gone to beans in lieu of.
At least my new mill is set up in the barn for now. Metal roof. Sometimes the rain is so loud, I cant hardly hear the engine. And its raining right now. 3" in last two days.

Here is what I see when looking out of the barn towards the house and little workshop.

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Sixacresand

I have already gave up on emptying the rain gauge every day.   Have not seen a rainy spring and summer like this in decades.   When I worked in the mines we would be in a panic mode trying to keep pits pumped out, looking for dry dirt to strip and keep the mills supplied.  I love being retired. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Po-Jo

"I have already gave up on emptying the rain gauge every day.   Have not seen a rainy spring and summer like this in decades"

+1

WDH

John,

I also flash back to my wood procurement days for the pulpmill and sawmill and all the weather anxiety.  You are right, it is great to be retired  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

al glenn

Cedarman

Many years ago when I did custom hay mowing, raking and baling, this would have killed me.  Weeks of not being able to make hay for people around here this year.  No hay equipment now, brother has it.  We have not missed a beat sawing.  Nice building and lots of logs on solid ground and rock.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Po-Jo

man this is getting very old rained all day went to feed up the animals and again 2" of water flowing thru the yard , i kid you not i now have minnows swimming in around the barn / mill , the nearest creek is a 1 1/2 miles away, great time of day is this ever gonna stop!

cedarman thats the other issue i have , my hay was supposed to have been cut 3 weeks ago, the guy who cuts our hay was having a problem getting started, seems to happen every year, so now i beleive its too far gone, if it dont do some serious drying in the next couple weeks , which i doubt it can dry that fast , I will have to go bush hog it down and start over as i am losing growing time now , everyone else around whose got cut on time  has got a good start on the new growth with all this rain, man sometimes i feel like i am always a DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT.

Po-Jo

Have not been able to cut the grass for 2 weeks now, crazy

WDH

It is bad when you get stuck walking in the yard. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodkiller

I feel your pain. It is ugly up here as well. We did see the big fire ball for about 15 minutes this afternoon. I kid you not that was the first time all week! Now it's raining again :(

thecfarm

We have been getting rain here too. But nothing like 2 inches a day steady. I just posted about no rain in 24 hours. probably a first for 3 weeks. Seem like we have been getting a shower every night. I drove by a couple farmers fields and saw the brown wind rows. Sad to see that. We really only have June,July,August to make hay. June is gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Po-Jo

THIS IS THE HIGH GROUND! If you look hard enough you will see the ripples where the water is flowing thru there, I heard of some farmers around here trying to put ski/ sleds on the combines trying to get in the feilds to finish getting the wheat, its not working like they thought, lot of stuff in the feild already planted no way to spray it tho, it may get very ugly if it keeps up like this

WDH

Not enough water or too much water.  Never just enough water  :).

Hopefully your anchorseal won't float away.

Po-Jo

on the way home this morning(i work midnights) i seen this big orange ball in the sky surrounded by this blue stuff, could it be  maybe the rain decided to leave, hope so , now all those minnows in the yard better get to where they are going, PDQ

julio

Since last Friday we have had 7 and quarter inch of rain.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

DanG

Quote from: Po-Jo on July 06, 2013, 07:51:33 AM
on the way home this morning(i work midnights) i seen this big orange ball in the sky surrounded by this blue stuff, could it be  maybe the rain decided to leave, hope so , now all those minnows in the yard better get to where they are going, PDQ

Don't get too excited.  Yesterday I saw the sun and blue sky four times, each followed by more downpours. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

lyle niemi

It's been very wet up here in Northern Alberta, I have been sawing tho, ya just need 4x4 equipment to handle the logs and lumber. I lost one oat field due to to much moisture so now I have to plow it unde hen or if it eve dies up. PS, me old circle mill is running pretty dang good!

Po-Jo

DanG you were right the ol' minnows have no worries yet , we ended up getting another inch of rain with the showers moving thru midday and afternoon, gonna have to get busy on my barn and use up the wood i have cut and HAD drying, its covered with tin but with all this rain and blowing rain at that, is really hard to keep the stack dry 

giant splinter

Are those red roses at the fence ..... they look very happy smiley_whacko
roll with it

DanG

We got another 2½ inches yesterday!  Skies are clear and the sun is bright this morning though. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Well DanGit, I bragged too soon.  Thunderstorming now and it looks like we'll get another inch!  This is getting downright tedious! >:(

MotorSeven

For once I timed a vacation right. We left on 30 June for Manitoba and saw two rain storms in a week and a half. Perfect weather every day, warm dry air, cool at night. It never stopped raining here at home averaging over an inch a day. Got home on 8 july and still getting pummeled every day with more expected all week. I too have never seen rain like this at this time of year. Both gardens are trashed with rot. We got over 3" in 45min late July that washed out fences/gates on top of the ridges(elevation 1500').....I think it's time to start build Arks.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Po-Jo

WELL IT CONTINUES WE JUST HAD A FARMER UP THE ROAD had a 78 acres "pond" with a depth of 24' at the dam just let go tonight , it has been reported that it washed large trees across route 17 and made a big mess of things , they had ordered an evacuation of eveyone living on the ogeechee river down stream from this farm, man its a big sloppy mess here, I pretty much have lost 8 acre hay feild , need to get in there and mow down and start over, but its just too wet now, keeps up like this the farmers gonna be hurting bad and so will we at the grocery store, we need some of that global warming to come on down here and dry some things out

thecfarm

We had a private fishing club pond do that years ago about a ½ hour from me. The pond was out in he woods and really only affected a small town. Was lucky the water had alot of woods to go through before it hit the town.

booman

Are you guys bragging or complaining?  I live in south Texas and my front yard looks like a parking lot.  I would love to have the rain you guys are getting.  Rain is in the forecast for the next week, but we will see what happens.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Handy Andy

Here in Kansas, we're getting a little rain too.  Even though I have a bunch of hay down, I'm not complaining. Of course, our rains are .2, .3,  but last week we had a .7".  Today I was going to spray my beans, quite a few weeds out there, and I got rained out.  Life is good!  My double crop soybeans are coming up, and I got the alfalfa baled, so maybe we will get another crop!  We have had hardly any rain in July and August the last 2 years, so I'm happy.  Last year I hauled water to the cows most of the summer.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Martha White Nelson

Martha

slider

We have a irrigation unit set up and pumping water off a peanut field.First time in a while for us.
al glenn

bandmiller2

Po-Jo,I'd switch that 8 acres to rice. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!