iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Sweetgum... I know, enough already... but...

Started by grweldon, July 02, 2013, 11:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I have recently read in these forums that some people cut sweegum and then immediately nail it on a structure using it as B&B siding.  From what I've read it seems that it doesn't present a problem with drying defects when used in this manner.  If this is true, could this be a viable method to dry sweetgum?  I won't have thousands of board feet (maybe hundreds) to dry.  I know it would be labor intensive as you would have to pull it down when it's dry to use it, but hearing how pretty it can look, might it be worth the effort?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mesquite buckeye

You might be able to sticker heavily and band your stacks to control movement. I don't know if anybody does this. ;D 8)

Plastic bands so you don't get iron stains. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

I am thinking, never done it, but the post regarding q-sawing, all I have cut have been for trailor decking, and if they were stripped, they warped and twisted, for finish work, I would say allow enough for planning and joining, not much else I can add,  sorry,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

Most sawyers hate sweetgum so that makes me want to saw some  ;D but no customer has asked for it yet and I don't a tree I want to cut down.

An old timer/sawyer told me it makes great purlins to nail 5V roofing to: the nail head will pull off before the nail will come out, he said. If that's true, you might want to use double headed nails to hold it down for drying.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!