iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Class

Started by Tom, January 25, 2002, 06:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Greg Sharpless posted this on the Independent Sawmill and Woodlot Magazine site.  Even though it is regional I thought it should be passed on.
-----------------------------------

Chainsaw Safety Classes
Samsel Ltd. Sawmill/Sawshop, Forever Green
Forestry and the Forest Industry Safety and
Training Alliance (FISTA) are hosting a full lineup of
chainsaw training classes in 2002. All classes are
held in the Hancock, Wisconsin area and are
appropriate for landscapers, loggers, landowners
and aborists – from beginners to professionals.
These are hands-on classes; attendees will be
runing a chainsaw and cutting down trees. Cost
per class is $80. For a schedule of classes and
registration, contact: Paul Ahlen, Forever Green
Forestry, 715/249-5602 or
pulpcutpaul@yahoo.com.

L. Wakefield

I'd love to see that in my area. I'm dumb, but not too dumb to admit I could learn more. I loved the Hunter Safety course I took up here- mandated by the State, happened to be taught by the folks at the Rod and Gun Club. They were totally dedicated to it. I've seen many more lackluster oferings. You can't disguise a true love of the subject. I think the White Mountain Forest guys mentioned at wildfire training camp that they had some type of offering on chainsaw training. I didn't follow up on it at that time.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Gordon

With your schedule here is another option that you could look into as far as getting some chainsaw training, they also have a ton of other videos as well.

Here is a link to a Video Lending Library of the Maine Professional Logging contractors. Maybe worth looking into.
CLICK HERE

One other idea comes to mind as well. If there are any Colleges close that offer forestry training, might have a chainsaw course offered. Just a thought.

If I find something better later I'll post it
Gordon

L. Wakefield

Excellent-thanks. The only thing that misses (and unavoidably so) is the psychomotor body mechanics aspect of things.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodmills1

for saw training check the game of logging.  it is in the newest sawmill and woodlot mag with a nice story on the last page article.  felling is really very tricky and dangerous work.  little trees are easy and so fine you can even push them.  look at the whack off firewood pictures i posted on the general forum.  the big white oak was totaly dead so it wouldnt fall had no branches or lean.  there it sat right on the stump with proper notch and back cut.  no push from my body made any difference at all.  in the past i would have cut it all the way through and run away.  i moved the tractor hooked up the winch and just a slight pull and it fell right where it was supposed to.  someone mentioned sandvic on the chainsaw section.  I have a tree feller from them nice tool but i didn't have it with me.  i think they make cutting stuff from scissors to saw chain.  be very careful with blow downs and leaners.  i didn't even mention spring poles.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!