iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hackberry logs

Started by pineywoods, July 01, 2013, 10:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Friend brought me 2 loads of misc. logs today. Two nice logs were hackberry. Never sawed hackberry before. What's it good for ???
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Wood is similar to elm.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

It is difficult.  Spiral grain and in the elm family.  Flat sawn boards tend to twist and warp, especially those near the outside of the tree.  A lot like sweetgum and blackgum in that respect.  It tends to side bend more than most woods that I have dealt with.  At least the southern hackberry seems to have a lot of stress.  I would quartersaw it as much as possible.  Very pretty grain and a nice creamy color.  I have used it as a secondary wood in furniture.  Most of it down here goes into pallet wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

My dad used quite a bit in furniture.  Always in contrast with another wood, usually walnut.

This time of year logs will grey stain in a week.  It's ugly.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Yes, it makes a perfect contrast with walnut, more of a yellowish creamy color rather than the white of maple.  Here it is used in a cutting board in contrast with cherry and bubinga.  The wavy band arrangement of the latewood pores makes for some very pretty flat sawn grain.  It has a small but visible ray fleck on the radial face, about like cherry and maple.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

The ones I cut from the woods are fine, much less prezely than the big elms. Open grown might be a different story. I like the wood.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

From a Southern perspective, good luck with it.   :)

ET

Although i have hundreds of hackberry on my farm of various sizes i have not sawn any up yet. It is a heavy wood and makes great firewood, splits better than elm and makes alot of ash. I saw a TV special a few weeks ago about the hackberry tree being used years ago as flooring especially because of its interlocking fiber structure. It definitely stains and if i decide to saw some up i plan on doing it during cold temperatures and getting it in a kiln asap.  Let us know what you do with your logs. I would love to know.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

drobertson

Piney, heavy trailer decking, it just has to be installed pretty quick, it is a very tough wood for heavy equipment, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

curdog

A guy I know makes wooden bowls and if the hackberry is spalted it makes a beautiful bowl and he sells them about as fast a he makes them. But besides that I'm not sure.

Thank You Sponsors!