iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A question for our Canadian friends. Crown land?

Started by cutterboy, July 01, 2013, 05:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. Why is government owned land in Canada called "crown land"? I don't see anybody in Canada wearing a crown and I'm quite sure the land isn't owned by the queen of England. Is the term a holdover from the time when Canada was ruled by England? I have wondered about this a long time.     Thanks, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

isawlogs

It is a layerover term, as it is owned by the goverment, wich at the time was the crown of England. Many goverment inteties have kept this term.. why ... I don't realy know. Crown assets for one... They are fading away with time, but not fast enough for my liking.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

Actually if you check the fine print, Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy and Elizabeth II is technically Queen of Canada. Also Australia and New Zealand, Jamaica and Papua New Guinea

Busy lady  :D

In practice it's only a figurehead, but the government is only formed with the approval of the Queens representative, and they actually have the power to dissolve the Government and call a new election. This actually happened in Australia in 1975 when the Parliament go so tied up that things were paralysed. Governor General stepped in and basically fired them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

cutterboy

Ian, I didn't know that. I mean, I knew there was a connection with the English Monarchy and Canada and Australia and New Zealand, but I didn't know the queen's rep could dissolve the government. WOW! That's amazing.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

isawlogs

amazing and dam scary at the same time......  We really need to get our act together and make this place our own, there is no need to have a queen in this day and time... none. >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

It's not scary at all but let's not move this to the restricted board.  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

The G/G cannot arbitrarily 'fire' the government, the Prime Minister can ask him/her to dissolve parliament so an election can be called. It is a formality carried over from colonial days, the British monarch no longer has any authority over our country.
Back to the original question, Marcel has it right in his first post. I won't get into the second which is another discussion altogether.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!