iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boise Idaho?

Started by OlJarhead, July 01, 2013, 02:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Had a call from a fellow in Boise Idaho who's looking for someone to mill Cedar posts for him.  He's tired of buying them for his fencing business from expensive retailers.

He's also looking for someone to fall the trees and mill them so I'm uncertain if there really is much savings there but assuming he owns the logs (I forgot to ask) then perhaps someone can help him out.

I suggested he check on Woodmizers 'find a sawyer' link as well as here and If he rings me back I'll be sure to check this thread in case some of you out there are interested in helping him out -- it's a little too far for me to drag the LT10 unless no one is in the area that's willing to do the work for him.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

drobertson

Erik, I agree with you, even if he owns the timber, getting it down, limbed if needed, then sawed seems like lil bit of an expense.  Although not sure the cost of post in Boise,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OlJarhead

Quote from: drobertson on July 01, 2013, 03:11:19 PM
Erik, I agree with you, even if he owns the timber, getting it down, limbed if needed, then sawed seems like lil bit of an expense.  Although not sure the cost of post in Boise,   david

Said he was paying $20 a post.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sawguy21

Wow, you would have to be very hungry to go that far and do the work for 20 bucks a post. The guy is obviously a cheapskate, probably worn out his welcome locally. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

it really depends on the diameter, at least around hear, but no way I would fall, trim, and saw a post for that, just saying he might have very well turned a sour mouth somewhere,  oh well, such is life,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

captain_crunch

entirely different economy out west .25 cents for custom sawing customer's material is about top dollar so he aint too far out
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

OlJarhead

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.  He is currently paying $20 per post I believe, however I did not ask the size of the post.  That might be an 8 foot 4x4 or it could be something else entirely.  If it is a 4x4 that's what? 10board feet?  At $0.35/bf he'd be getting his new posts for $3.50 a post rather then $20 if he has the material himself.

On the other hand if he has to pay someone to fall the trees and skid them to the mill and then mill them he still might get off cheaper doing it that way.  How much does it cost to fall and skid trees?  I've been told buy a tree farmer he can get it done for $0.25/bf but I have no idea.

beenthere

OlJarhead
Here is your chance, to sell him your mill and go after the deal on the LT28   8)

;) ;)

Will be interested to hear what additional info you find out about his logs, and his needs for fence posts.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

He's probably using 6x6x8  = 24 bf. Pressure treated costs around $20 per post if you buy a lot of them.  He should stick with the treated posts.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!