iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flat Belt Crimper

Started by ddcuning, June 30, 2013, 08:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

When I moved my Frick 00, I relocated the chain drag pulley from where it was originally and now the original belt is too short. A lot of belt stock came with the mill so I have the material but the question is, what is the secret to crimping on the belt staples? Is there a special tool to buy or is there a special method that would avoid the tool? I tried it by hand and made a mess.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

SPD748

There sure is.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=58233.20

Reply #33

In the absence of the tool, could you use a length of steel bar stock to hammer against? Another thought, what about clamping the lace in a bench vice to close the teeth?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ddcuning

Thanks Lee, I will be on the lookout for one. In the interem, I may have to see if Chatham Industrial Supply in Siler City can lace up the belt for me.

Dave C

ddcuning

Now that I know what to look for, I see there are several of these on Ebay for sale. May be worth picking one up.

Dave C

garyfg

Check at your local New Holland farm dealer. The belts on there round balers are laced. They should have the equipment to fix you up.

scsmith42

Dave, a friend of mine in Chatham County has one.  He might not loan it out, but you could bring your belts over and use it at his place.

Send me an e-mail if interested.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave_

It's real simple to use alligator belt lacing.  I get mine on ebay.  All you do is get the right size for the belt you have and hammer it on.

steamsawyer

Hey Dave C,

That is the same belt lacer that I have. It's very handy and well worth the investment. This isn't the only time you'll need one. Also pick up a box of lacing staples for future reference.

Another good thing about this type of lacer is that it is much easier to get the joint straight, which is very important. The staples are held in the machine with a pin and the belt is held square with a rest to keep the belt from moving as you press the staples in.

One nice thing about flat belting is that you don't need to make a whole new belt if the old one is still good, just add in the extra length you need. If you have a damaged section just cut it out and replace the bad part.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

ddcuning

Thanks for all of the input guys. I am going to see if I can get this one belt done locally and then watch the web close and purchase one when I find a good deal. Thanks again.

Dave C

loggah

I have a couple of the old belt lacers,they get dumped in the junkyard pretty regular! ;D Tractor supply sells a lacing tool you use in a vise , they also sell the lacings. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Corley5

The lacing tools for a vise suck  :D ;D.  Find an old Clipper lacer.  You'll be much happier  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bandmiller2

Dave,for running a flat belt under light load you can lace the belt with rawhide shoe laces.First you punch holes in boath ends of the belt then lace  it.If you can find old machinest books they show the whole process.As mentioned its important to cut the belt straight and lace it straight or it will tend to run off pulleys.Any mill supply place should have a lacer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Happycamper

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

bandmiller2

Thanks Camper looks like you've done that before.Today I use my clipper lacer model you close in a vice have had real good luck with it.Almost any old engine/farm show has some dude selling strips of clipper laceing.After you set the hooks on each end you mate them and slide in a piece of catgut that seems to last forever. Frank C.

Corley5

I'm glad someone has good luck with the vise lacers.  The one I've had experience with was absolutely worthless.  It was all but impossible to get a good straight lace installed with it.  I'd never buy one let alone encourage anyone to buy one.

steamsawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 01, 2013, 07:33:04 AM
After you set the hooks on each end you mate them and slide in a piece of catgut that seems to last forever. Frank C.

Yes that rawhide lacing does last forever.... After a while the staples cut in on each side and it keeps the lacing pin from coming out, but it can be removed by pushing the belt ends together. The rawhide will not fail, the belt will go first. The rawhide is also much safer than using wire or brass rod. When a metal pin starts coming out it can rip you open and you will probably need stiches, not as much so with the rawhide.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

bandmiller2

Corley, I wonder if we're talking about the same tool,mine has grooves machined for the loop strip and a pin on a chain to hold them in.The tool is hinged with lips on top to rest on the vice jaws.With one hand you hold the straight cut belt to  the tools base second hand you close the vice.Theirs some laceing used mostly for conveyer belt that you hammer on. Frank C.

Corley5

That sounds just like the piece of junk I've got around here somewhere.  A friend had one for lacing baler belts and had the same experience I had.  He got one of the Clipper two handled machines like I've got (I've got a spare now too) after using mine.  He took the vise model back to the baler dealership.

oklalogdog

I have one of the old crimpers.  I've used it and did a pretty good job but it is still kind of a chore to get everything lined up right.  Guys at our local Co-op say they used the alligator lacing on their cotton gin machinery belts and that it is easier to use and works a lot better.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

scsmith42

Dave C stopped by the farm this morning with his belt that needed lacing.  My friend Robert Blanchard left his Clipper belt lacing crimper with me and it made quick work of installing the lacing on Dave's belts!

Here is a photo of Dave and I taken in my shop.  The Clipper lacing crimper is in-between us on top of the saw.

Dave, it was great to see you again!  I can't wait to see your Frick running.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ddcuning

Thanks for the help Scott, I got the belt on that day and made a lot of progress this weekend.

Dave C

Thank You Sponsors!