iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camp oven pork

Started by WildDog, June 29, 2013, 07:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

Tried a new camp/dutch oven from lodge, they come seasoned but I gave it another seasoning.

Rolled pork about 4 1/2 lbs,
I scored the skin and poured boiling water real slow over it.
Oiled and salted, then onto a trivet in the oven.
Cooked with coals, cranked the heat up high for 1st 30 mins and then lowered it, bringing heat back high again for the last 30 mins. Total cooking time 3hrs. This oven has a small vent hole that I left open, normally a piece of bent fencing wire between the lid and oven does the trick.

A bit of burning on top of the crackling but the kids didn't mind, came out very nice :) 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

I would not mind either.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

By the looks of it I would say a 10, nice work with the oven!  love to cook with mine, now I am conflicted, I want to cook chicken on a grill and try a pork loin in my dutch oven  all before 8 in the morning, I best get to the mill before my day is shot,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

TimRB

Glad to see that there are some purist Dutch oven chefs who use wood, rather than briquets.  Briquets are cheating, pure and simple.  I like that trivet--think I'll make one out of some scrap expanded metal.

Tim

WildDog

QuoteI like that trivet--think I'll make one out of some scrap expanded metal.

I have used old low sided sponge cake tins upside down with a heap of holes drilled in it.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

pappy19

Trivets are easy to find and a real must when using a DO. I make more pork roasts in a DO than any other way. It falls off the bone both shoulder or butt roasts. Use about any rub and I add a cup of wine and a cup of 7-Up to steam it. Comes out so good it hardly has time to get between a bun or tortilla for carnitas.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

iffy

If I don't have a trivet I just use one of those throwaway aluminum pie pans and put three wadded up balls of foil under the pan or 3 rings off jar lids will work too. Your trivet looks much nicer.  :)

Norm

Looks darn good to me!

Wish we lived closer Rob.  :)

WildDog

[quoteWish we lived closer Rob][/quote]

I don't think it would be long before we got ourselves into some kind of trouble Norm ;) But we'd eat well along the way :)

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!