iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just say'n...Fiskars...

Started by akkamaan, June 29, 2013, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akkamaan

I have this "down to a science".
If we start with a 8 lbs maul with a 36" handle, and we make that "360 deg" swing, and we lets say get it up to a 10 feet per second velocity, at impact.
Kinetic energy is calculated "Mass" by "velocity squared" divided the @2",
or E = M * V^2 / 2
E = 8 * 10^2 / 2
E = 8 * 100 / 2
E = 400 ft-lbs at impact.

Now we Try a Fiskars splitting axe, either the old model #7854, or the newer X25, both with a 28" handle. This axe have a 4lbs head.
With this axe we use a shorter, over the head swing, and we use or hand wrists, to apply the extra head velocity (the same way as we swing a golf club) .

It do not take long to figure out that we can double the head velocity by using the hand wrists.
So lets do some math again. Head velocity at impact is 20 feet per second

E = 4 * 20^2/2
E = 800 ft-lbs at impact

OK, so now the opponents will claim that we cant double the speed with a half the weight head, and a 8" shorter handle. An objective comparison of the actual head velocity, can be done done with a high velocity camera, and a distance ruler in the background.

For now we just calculate what speed we need with the Fiskars axe, just to "break even" with the maul.

400 = 4 * X^2/2
2/4*400 = 4/4 * X^2 *2/2
200 = X^2
ROT 200 = X
X= +/- 14.14 ft/sec minus 10 ft/sec =4.14 ft/sec difference or 41.14% higher speed.

To break even in impact energy, we only need to increase speed 41.14 %.

And we still gained a few important productivity things.

• Shorter swing arc take less time to swing, which means more time for splitting and less for swinging
  • A 50% or 4 lbs, lighter head takes less effort to swing, and we can make almost twice the hours at the chopping block

Splitting with a lighter axe head and a shorter handle will allow you to hit with greater accuracy and hit the sweet spot that break the 18"-20" log into halves. From there it is just "chop chop chop".

With a long 360 degree round swing, it is impossible to hit a quarter  coin with any accuarcy. That why most people then  go for the center of the 18"-20" log.That is a big mistake it self.
To crack a log like that, the sweet spot is in the peripheral area.
My image below will show what I mean...

I have a few Youtube videos that shows my secret bungee trick.
This first video is from March 2008, and I had just bought my 28" Fiskars #7854...(X25 today)
http://youtu.be/WoAOYLMU1Wc
A couple of days later....
http://youtu.be/MVSwICvpIVE
5 years later...still with the bungy wrapped around
http://youtu.be/c_U07ijVOsY

CTYank

Science depends very much on experiments for confirmation/disproof.
Having done that with a 3kg maul next to X25, my conclusions:
1. your physics calculations need work
2. 8 lb maul is for driving wedges with poll; 5-6 lb much better IMO
3. after trying both, side by side, I'll pass on fiskars, thanks.

Better metallurgy of carefully forged head (Mueller) makes it a no-brainer. IMO. There are others such as Ochsenkopf, Wetterlings, Gransfors Bruks etc. I'd consider before stamped-out stuff. Stihl sells Ochsenkopf 3kg around here for $80; much better buy than what I'd characterize as a toy.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

clww

I've heard they make an outstanding product. However, I'll stick with my hydraulic splitter. 35+ years of hand-splitting was enough for me. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Buck

I've seen all this before. Must have gotten a little boring on other forums. Welcome to the friendly planet. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Vance in AK

When it comes to big game ammo I am a fan of heavy bullets at moderate speeds  (Like a splitting maul. I Love my 450 Marlin with 420gr bullets at 1850 fps), but when it comes to log splitting, My Fiskars splitting axe gets the nod over my maul almost every time!  I have used both & love my Fiskars.  Friends have tried my "silly little splitting axe" & everyone has ended up buying one.  Works for me!

Dave Shepard

That has a plastic handle, right? I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone. Wood is the only handle that won't totally destroy your joints.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Well, I done did it and bought one.  I had some Amazon buck burning a hole in my pocket  :D  I've always admired Fiskars scissors.

I have an old 8 lb maul that I used in the 90's and haven't touched since.  I still remember how tired and sore it would make me - though it did keep me skinny!  I tried the bungie trick and it actually works great.  I split a round quickly and easily and split another 5 for our Cub Scout fire for three nights.  Even at 5,000' elevation, it didn't wind me.

The handle is plastic but thin and flexible - I think more so than wood.  I think its a keeper.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gspren

If I have a small amount of easy splitting I like my Fiskars X27 but if I have a large amount I use the hydraulics.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

A related note - Long handled california framing hammers weighing upwards of 28oz used to be the "thing" in construction. Now, the opposite is true, people have been figuring out lighter hammers get the job done with better accuracy and less wear and tear on the arm.

Of course they could just use a framing gun too. I like Fiskars but not enough to give up my hyd splitter. Just doesn't make sense, it's like cutting hay with a scythe.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

giant splinter

I have seen the Fiskars at the tool supply and they do have a nice balance and feel to them, in my case there are already a few too many old wood handled ones along with wedges laying around here to buy any thing else. I prefer my power splitter over hand splitting because its faster and more controlled as well as I think safer to use when you consider that one trip to the emergency room can cost more than a new 34 ton hydraulic log splitter. I think hand splitting on a concrete slab is not such a good idea and if you get in a good clean sweep what happens to your cutting edge and the finish on the slab not to mention your joints, fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders etc. Good wrap around eye protection is important as well.
The guy in the video has a strong swing and can hang in there, he was obviously wearing his favorite shirt as he was enjoying hand splitting some nice rounds. (" your physics calculations need work") <------- Yank beat me to this one ;D.
Splitting fire wood by hand does work very well and I have done plenty of it myself and can say that I enjoyed every minuet of it, on the other hand I am over it.
roll with it

WildDog

My Fiskars was relegated to debarking, its a well made unit but too soft for the harder cranky grained seasoned Eucalypts we have.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Logging logginglogging

Usually when I just say Fiskers.... people tell me to watch my mouth and threaten to throw me out of places!!

petefrom bearswamp

Fiskars does make great products, but back when I did split by hand I used a worn out 3-1/2 pound Michigan pattern single bit  axe and gave it a twist as it hit the bolt of wood. worked good and was very fast when I was in my 20s and 30s.
If the bolt fell over i simply hooked it with the axe and set it back up or if it was straight grained, used a modified baseball/golf swing with it laying on the ground.
gave that up in 1974 when i built my first hydraulic splitter and have enjoyed just some lifting and pulling the lever since.
I cut all 22 -23 inch wood for my OWB
My impression is that when using the heavy mall to use mainly gravity to impart the power, not the muscle to swing it.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ahlkey

The video was worth a good laugh as the person splitting has terrible body mechanics.  I have two of these Fiskars axes and use them often. I split a little over 100 face cords a year.  Big advantage for me is the weight as I can use it much longer than a traditional maul.  However, one downside is when you need to split species like Beech that are twisted it performs poor and I switch to a heavier maul.  The lack of weight and the cutting edge gets stuck more often no matter how fast you swing it. The maul is also sharp and with the higher speed when you swing it be careful (watch your toes). 

rowerwet

I waited untl Fiskars made the X27, I never understood why they didn't make a 30+ inch handle from the start. A short handle means a missed blow will hit my shins instead of the splitting block or ground. :o
I also bought the sharpening thing they make for the axes. whenever the axe doesn't seem to bite as well, a quick sharpening brings the bite back. I love the Fiskars axe, and the way the "plastic" handle reduces the shock of splitting.
It is actually reinforced plastic, much like the plastic parts on my Husky chain saw, not cheap and easy to break. There was a promotional video Fiskars had once that showed a guy driving his truck over the handle and then splitting wood, the "plastic" is tough!
I grew up using my dad's old 8 lb splitting maul, I'm really glad I lost it while moving so I had a perfect reason to buy the Fiskars.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

Thank You Sponsors!