iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Storage

Started by ET, June 29, 2013, 03:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

Ive been accumulating quite a supply of logs of multiple species so when im ready to start sawing i will have enough material to make nice size pallet loads.

Im still working on getting my new barn site cleared and leveled, but in the meantime i cannot turn down a good deal for logs, especially walnut.

Ive been painting the ends as soon as i get them with anchorseal but thats all the protection they get. My stash is maybe 125 logs laying mostly in the pasture. It probably will be half a year yet till i start sawing on a regular basis at best guess.

I want to protect my log investment and would appreciate any advice about log storage and degrade.  Thanks in advance
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beenthere

Get them off the ground, unless they already are. ;)

And then, takes your chances.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

The only way to actually preserve a log is to sprinkle it with water 24/7 or submerge it in a pond.  I have a number of logs elevated but the logs start to degrade rapidly as the temp and humidity climb.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ET

Thanks Beenthere and OWW; I may alter my plans now so not to risk log degrade loss. The big barn will have to wait. I will go ahead and get my mill shed and drying barn up as there is very little site work required to get them constructed. I will post pics when things get going.   
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

drobertson

I'm thinking you should be fine even up to a year if you have the logs decked off the ground as mentioned, I last year I got into some blow downs from 09'  The majority of the loss will be in the sap wood, which comes off with the slabs, smaller than 12" will show signs of decay much sooner than 15" and up.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

petefrom bearswamp

Got a bunch of Norway spruce logs a few years ago that had been in the grass for about 3 months and were full of some kind of boring beetle holes.
I keep Hemlock here at my yard for up to 2 years with no degrade.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on June 30, 2013, 06:12:26 PM
Got a bunch of Norway spruce logs a few years ago that had been in the grass for about 3 months and were full of some kind of boring beetle holes.
I keep Hemlock here at my yard for up to 2 years with no degrade.

I know hemlock is the best. I like the stuff smells like a Christmas tree when Im cutting it :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!