iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ or JD

Started by PaYoungBuck, June 27, 2013, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaYoungBuck

I am in the process of buying a skidder. I am use to running John deere and found a 540B. Also I have found a 450B timberjack. I know the tj is a little bigger but what is everyone's thoughts?? And the tj is also about $10,000 more. But comes with 4 good tire chains. The deere doesn't and will need a set on the front.  Both are cable machines

Timbercruiser

Both are nice machines for sure . But is parts for the jhonny more ? I know the older 440s are expensive to fix but were very good machines

PaYoungBuck

Pars maybe a little more for the jd but the dealers who sell them are closer and we have a top notch mechanic on them in town

thecfarm

PaYoungBuck,welcome to the forum. Dealer support is important.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

I would go for the Timberjack, Deere parts are to pricey, my opinion your paying for the name.
Bill

beenthere

Quotepricey, my opinion your paying for the name.

Because behind the name are quality parts.  8)

And behind the name will be resale value, that is sometimes more than when the JD was new.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on June 28, 2013, 03:15:26 PM
Quotepricey, my opinion your paying for the name.

Because behind the name are quality parts.  8)

And behind the name will be resale value, that is sometimes more than when the JD was new.

I'm sure this really isn't relevant, but felt the need to spout.

Don't say that to my neighbor pertaining to his JD lawn tractor.  He's ready to take what ever offered to him on a trade for anything else. Same part has broke 5 times in the year he has had it. He has mowed his lawn maybe a half dozen times with it. The rest of the time with a pusher while waiting for parts. The time before last, they came and got it and they replaced the part.  It broke the first time he used it.  They then came and got it and said they were replacing other parts that was causing the first part to break, but in doing this, the first part would have to be changed out with a different part. They have told him they would TRY to get it as a warranty repair.

In retrospect though, my new craftsman is a pile of junk compared to his perpetually broken JD
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

It's fallen on deaf ears Jeff.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

:D
Some people can break an anvil.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I can assure you that that john deere ain't an anvil. I'm an unbiased onlooker, and after the issues I've seen him go through, and I can tell you he is fastidious with his possessions, I'd never buy a new one. I almost said never own, but cheap and free can out trump never. ;D

PaYoungBuck

I lean to more of a jd fan. But I know the owner he retired a few years back and has only offered to sell it to me. Always worke by himself no operators ran it. The tj on the other hand I know nothing about

beenthere

PaYoungBuck
I thought we were talkin skidders too.
south central Wisconsin

cutter88

both good machine i my self have a 640D jd i find the timberjack lack big time when it come to the winch them gearmatic winchs are very high maintainence unless somebody has put a clark or jd winch on it ide lean more toward the jd 540b... just my thoughts... :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

PaYoungBuck

That's the way I'm pry gonna go although it needs 2 tires chains and some small stuff I think it's still my best bet

Offthebeatenpath

I think your answer lies in knowing the history. A one owner machine is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. 

I just made the investment in a JD (440D)  after running a TJ for awhile.  In hindsight, I wish I'd waited until I found a skidder that had a more transparent history. Still would go with Deere though.

Buying a pair of chains isn't cheap, but pretty minor if you look at it as an investment over time.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on June 28, 2013, 06:53:22 PM
PaYoungBuck

If that was a poke at me, I think I can talk about anything I want. In fact, I can make it so every time someone types the words John Deere, it is followed by the word "sucks" if you like. ;D

Mark K

To me dealer support is very important. On the farm we pretty much run all Deere, main reason is we have 5 dealers within a 75 mile radius and a warehouse a half hour away. Parts are almost always availible. If it were a Case, New holland, etc instead of Deere we'd run them. That being said, Deere parts are expensive and alot of the older equipment they are making parts obselete. Ran into problems with getting transmission gears for a 440d we had in the shop. Had to have a machine shop make a shaft and gear assembly. I run a TF, like the TJ its a component  machine. Have had no problems getting parts for it. As far as gearamatic winches go I have had very little trouble with mine, just bands which wore out. All of them have there faults. I guess it really depends on how used or abused each of them are.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

beenthere

Quote from: Jeff on June 28, 2013, 08:57:25 PM
Quote from: beenthere on June 28, 2013, 06:53:22 PM
PaYoungBuck

If that was a poke at me, I think I can talk about anything I want. In fact, I can make it so every time someone types the words John Deere, it is followed by the word "sucks" if you like. ;D

Jeff
My deepest apologies if I said something wrong. Wasn't intended as a poke at you.
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

beenthere,I don't see what it matters if a thread goes off topic anyways. And if you are not the one that started it,what does it matter to you.   ::)  seem like you are always concerned about a thread that gets off topic.   ::)   So what it if does. Don't have nothing good to say,don't say anything. That is why I don't go see my FIL much. get tired of it after a while.

thenorthman

I have a theory pertaining to the Deere's...  If and when you see equipment that at one time was a dealer only outfit, for sale at department store or one of them huge hardware places... Pretty much the death nail for quality from said company.

A few examples poulan, MacCuloch. Homelight, now Huskys, and Deere have made the leap to big hardware... Although from the sound of it huskys are rebranding johnyreds to sell at box stores (although its not long until they say why bother just make em both the same...)

Any way Timber Jack is now owned by John Deere, so who knows if you can get parts soon anyway.

But for my money I am liking my old Deere. 
well that didn't work

1270d

Mark K said it very well.  Dealer support is key.  If there are many dealers try to pick the one that will serve you best.

PAFaller

Where are you at in PA and what kind of ground will you be working on?  To me that would be the determining factor of what machine to buy. I know plenty of guys that cut steep ground with those old B series 540s but I wouldnt want to. The bigger timberjack will still be more stable in mountain goat country than that Deere. The other thing is hours and overall condition. You just mentioned the 2 brands, nothing about condition. A one operator Deere with 25000 hours isnt exactly a bargain just because you know the owner. I own a 240 timberjack and love it. Easy on and off when working alone and settin chokers all day, and it pulls wood. Never had a problem finding new aftermarket parts or replacement used parts when needed if you know where to look. Depends on what you like and what you're used to I guess.
It ain't easy...

David-L

What about climbing up and down on the Deere. After you do that all day you will sleep well for sure. What about a 240 jack that you can one step into and at the end of the day you have knees still. I had a 440B and loved it but yes the parts were pricey but quality. Still stuck on the 200 series jacks for ease of fixing and getting on to and stability you can not beat them. This is a 230 that I used to own and will run cheaper than a John deere 540 all day long IMO.

David L

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

PaYoungBuck

I have been looking at the timberjack a also. I just haven't found one that is all that great. I was looking at the 225-240s but not many local ones for sale. I am in NW Pa and we have some hill sides that's for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!