iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562 XP

Started by HiTech, June 27, 2013, 02:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdusty1

I've been getting the itch for a new saw but this post has got me worried.  I have been wanting a 372xp for awhile.  What is the last year they made the xp's without the auto tune?
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

HiTech

I am not sure if all Husqvarna saws have it. I think it is just something they came out with in the 562XP. Don't get me or us wrong about the 562XP, it is a very powerful, fast cutting saw. Light in weight and easy to handle. The Auto tune carb needs some attention. Either the dealers have to catch up with the technology and get the equipment to service these saws or the Corporation has to step in and fix the problems. The 372XP is one of the best all around saws I know of.

sharkey

I was just sent a video of the newest AT saw out from Husky, the 455AT...  I would bet that consumers are not going to be as patient with this technology as pros are.   

keen

I have owned four 562's. I purchased two, one of them blew a crank bearing and was replaced under warranty. It had a lot of hours on it, so I has happy it was replaced with out a hassle. The other one had a crankcase bolt come out from under the flywheel and seized the saw up, jamming the bolt between the flywheel and crankcase. The bolt hole was stripped. It was replaced under warranty also. The latest ones I got don't seem to have a problem restarting in hot weather. I've had a few of the mufflers crack and broke a few mounts. I like the saws a lot. They are used 5 days a week if we're in smaller timber. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but having a good Husqvarna dealer around would make or break that deal.

oldbones

I've got the restart problem with my new 550 (same design at 562). My kid has it with his new 372.

Today I spoke with a mechanic who seemed to understand the problem. On the 372, he said he could go in and make a carburetor adjustment that is not exactly by the book. He said there was nothing he could do on the 550.

His advice for restarts is:

before restart, pull out the choke and then push it in to set fast idle.

do NOT push the decompression button. You want the compression to start it.

pull cord.

The mechanic said he had spoken to a Husky rep,  but the rep suggested this mechanic was the only guy who was finding problems. The mechanic also said, Stihl guys have been showing up at his shop with their new saws looking for help.

weimedog

Quote from: HiTech on June 27, 2013, 02:04:34 AM
Has anyone had trouble with this saw restarting after it has been run awhile and warmed up? I did the running it for so many minutes at a certain RPM to set the Auto Tune. Still after you run it for awhile and shut it off and leave it sit for a few minutes it may not start again. My other Husqvarna saws start on the first pull after they run then sit for awhile. The saw really cuts if you can get it running. Love the way it handles. Starts good cold, just not hot or warmed up.

Did the first few have an ignition issue? Think I head wind of a restart issue solved with a different updated ignition coil & different "program". Maybe it was the 555. (Mine doesn't BTW, but i've heard some of that class did. Suprised if the dealer isn't aware. Wonder if there is a service bulletin out there ..any dealers care to comment?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ET

Ive had my 550XP now for almost one year. Ive also had lots of restart issues and have found not pushing the compression release on restarts really helps. Once started hot the engine often runs very rough causing me to rapidly press throttle to keep running for maybe 15 to 30 seconds till it settles into running steady.  This is one very powerful little saw when it does run steady. The older it gets the better it starts.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ehp

most of the restart problems come from the engine getting heat soaked , if it does not want to start put it on fast idle or hold the throttle open and crank the saw , it will start 99.9% of the time . The 550 has a different brand of autotune and it sets itself everytime I fire my up and you can hear it going from rich to lean then back to where it needs to run , I donot use the cecompressures as they let to much compression off to make the saw start proper

HiTech

The first time I couldn't get it restarted I took the plug out to check to see if it was wet or dry. I was shocked as I never saw a spark plug that small. I said to myself, "there's the problem, they only put a half of a spark plug in it". lol The plug was wet and I dried it off and put it back in and the saw took right off. All I know is it is nothing like my other saws.

SawTroll

Quote from: HiTech on August 02, 2013, 02:51:19 PM
I am not sure if all Husqvarna saws have it. I think it is just something they came out with in the 562XP. Don't get me or us wrong about the 562XP, it is a very powerful, fast cutting saw. Light in weight and easy to handle. The Auto tune carb needs some attention. Either the dealers have to catch up with the technology and get the equipment to service these saws or the Corporation has to step in and fix the problems. The 372XP is one of the best all around saws I know of.

Are you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....
Information collector.

AdkStihl

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AMAre you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....

smiley_thumbsup
+1
J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
Are you using the "fast idle" for the restarts, or are you not. I understand it actually is needed on those saws, unlike many other Huskys.....
I only have to use the fast idle on my 562 in hot humid weather over 90F/32C. Cooler weather the saw starts fine on one pull when warm.
Using the fast idle is a pain but at least the "auto on" master control switch saves some time and effort.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Yes, the "auto on" is a very nice touch!
Information collector.

coxy74

I have two 562XP's, and think this issue comes down to the user?? As the one I use all the time, starts 1st pull every time after refuelling when the saw has been hot. Yet, the other saw ( this one gets used by different users ) sometimes can be a bugga to start, after refuelling. Yet when I have used it ( the 2nd 562 ) it starts fine for me after refuelling, and I start them both the same way.

Well that's my views anyway??

Paul ( coxy74 )

HolmenTree

Coxy, you guys just finished your winter and now getting into your spring and hot weather, perhaps you forgot about last summer's hot weather.
I'm not sure about New Zealand being as hot as the Australia mainland but I heard problems from there.

SawTroll

Quote from: coxy74 on October 03, 2013, 01:43:37 AM
I have two 562XP's, and think this issue comes down to the user?? As the one I use all the time, starts 1st pull every time after refuelling when the saw has been hot. Yet, the other saw ( this one gets used by different users ) sometimes can be a bugga to start, after refuelling. Yet when I have used it ( the 2nd 562 ) it starts fine for me after refuelling, and I start them both the same way.

Well that's my views anyway??

Paul ( coxy74 )

I believe you have a point there!   8) 8)
Information collector.

HiTech

Since the weather has started to cool off i haven't had a problem with restarting my 562 XP. Maybe it just doesn't like warm weather.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 26, 2013, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2013, 09:51:04 AM
I only have to use the fast idle on my 562 in hot humid weather over 90F/32C. Cooler weather the saw starts fine on one pull when warm.
Using the fast idle is a pain but at least the "auto on" master control switch saves some time and effort.
Yep. ;)

HotRail

No offense to the husky guys here, but a saw that runs like the devil, isn't worth crap if you can't start the dang thing or takes some trick to.  Hopefully something comes along for the 562xp that is set in stone, where Husky says do this and the saw starts hot or cold, humid or not.  Not a slam against husky cause there a great chainsaw manufacturer.  But I've said it before that I've had one husky dealer tell me I should wait on the 562xp.

bill m

My Husky dealer told me the same thing - wait.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

HolmenTree

Quote from: bill m on October 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
I don't see any need to wait Bill ;), my 1 year old 562 is nicely broke in with my tree service work and it's running better then any saw I ever owned in the last 40 years. I've been running it with a 16" b/c lately, it's snappier then all go heck.

I'm thinking about those 92F muggy days last summer and I think my 562 was telling me something, I should be taking it easy on those days. Doing hard physical tree work in those conditions can be hard on your noggin making the "computer" in my head not working so good either, along with some lingering side effects for days later.

JohnG28

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 23, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
Quote from: bill m on October 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
I don't see any need to wait Bill ;), my 1 year old 562 is nicely broke in with my tree service work and it's running better then any saw I ever owned in the last 40 years. I've been running it with a 16" b/c lately it's snappier then all go heck.

I'm thinking about those 92F muggy days last summer and I think my 562 was telling me something, I should be taking it easy on those days. Doing hard physical tree work in those conditions can be hard on your noggin making the "computer" in my head not working so good either, along with some lingering side effects for days later.

You mention 90+ degree days, I wonder if these saws with the environment in mind are tuned not to richen up the L end. My 361 used to restart hard in hot weather, L out a bit and no problems since.  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

John, yes that makes good sense. I'd have to take it to my Husky dealer and hope he has the software let alone the expertise to use it.
But no sense doing that for a few hot weeks in the summer. I have connections to buy the software for the auto tunes, but I probably would need my 10 year old daughter to program it for me :D

tlandrum

you can always go in and drill the low side of the carb if that's what it needs. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

JohnG28

HolmenTree, I wonder if they have the availability to make these adjustments? Could be the modern version of a limit cap? I assume with the right software in the hands of someone who's not a dealer could do it, some day? I don't imagine they'd let a servicing dealer perform such changes.

Tlandrum, what do you mean drill the L side of the carb out?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!