iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 inch piece of wood cost $2000.00

Started by just_sawing, June 26, 2013, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

My John Deere ct322 has a access port under the plastic fuel tank. The port is about 1 inch diameter. Just right for a piece of wood to enter and punch the tank.
$503 for a new tank
$1100 dollars estimated for labor to pull engine and hydrostatic pump
$500 for misolanios parts.
For the company that has a fuel tank wrapped around an engine this is one owner that is not real happy
Also had to deliver it 70 miles away to get fixed. Local John Deere place can't handle it.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've had things happen like this before. I feel for you. It just seems the engineers drawing the plans have no common sense.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

Must be the superior engineering on those John Deeres.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

Looks like an opportunity to convert the fuel tank to something like a removable tank for marine use.

Is there any way to patch the tank?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

clww

That reminds me of when we had to replace the fuel pump in the wife's Ford Expedition. You guessed it! IN THE FUEL TANK! >:( Why would it be in there? Remember the days when they were on the engine block, three bolts, and two hoses?
I hate it whenever the labor costs more than the part being replaced. >:( >:( >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bibbyman

Dodge trucks have the pump in the tank.  Have to drop the tank or left the bed.  Some cut a big hole in the bed.  The pump went out on our 99 Dodge 3500.  Lucky for us the truck has a flat bed with wood deck.  We just pulled up two boards and changed out the pump. Got one from NAPA at half the price as Dodge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dgdrls

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 26, 2013, 05:42:45 PM
I've had things happen like this before. I feel for you. It just seems the engineers drawing the plans have no common sense.

The engineers do not have to actually repair them when they break fail.

DGD

Ron Wenrich

I was told that the fuel pump is in there to keep them cool. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

clww

Maybe, but I lost MY cool when I saw the bill!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WoodenHead

Quote from: dgdrls on June 26, 2013, 07:25:00 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 26, 2013, 05:42:45 PM

The engineers do not have to actually repair them when they break fail.

DGD

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I have worked in the manufacturing world for a number of years.  There's no doubt.  Design for manufacturing takes priority over design for repair.   It's all about making money as quickly as possible.  ;)

thecfarm

A one inch hole and the stick hits it,sounds like my luck too.That is a skid steer? Could a piece of ½ metal be put over that and bolted in place? Probably the bolts would rust,but could grind them off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteMy John Deere ct322 has a access port under the plastic fuel tank. The port is about 1 inch diameter.

Access to what? Would you be able to get a pic up of the port?

Seems sticks have a way of getting into and around whenever and wherever to cause damage. What you experience is over the top from just a stick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Looks like we need more engineers, just saying, easy to b!#$%@ but getting it right is the trick,  might not be a popular comment, been there, and it S@$#@, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GAB

As a dumb farm boy (dairy) with an Associates and a BS in Mechanical Engineering I can assure you that many products are designed by personnel with a fancy piece of paper to mount on a wall and absolutely no experience and very little coco-ology or common sense to go with it.  For example: I for one believe that GM engineers responsible for fuel tank designs should be obligated to pump fuel for a while.  To me a 34 gallon tank should not stop filling at 24+/- gallons when it is empty and need to be burped to fill it.  Another problem is that most Colleges and Universities have few if any instructors with practical experience.  Like my dad used to say you can learn how to plow from a book but the view is much different behind the plow pulled by a horse or mule.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

drobertson

I agree completely, with this, been there and done that with more than a stick can be shook at.  The bottom line is folks need to take the bull by the horns and make a difference, otherwise, we will be haunted by this for all our years,  I hate to mention the politics and investment evolved in the process,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

Just think if the fuel pump goes out on the newer Ford pickups you have to take the cab off to get at it. >:(
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Oh no!  I just bought a new Ford truck  :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kelLOGg

My tractor gas tank started leaking from rust and was unrepairable. I welded a new one. Only down side is that I now have a 9 gallon tank instead of a 14. That was 1987 - still doesn't leak. That was a 1958 vintage tractor - wouldn't try it on a modern one.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fat olde elf

Fuel pumps inside fuel tanks is fairly common. My exSIL is a master mechanic and suggests that you should never let your fuel get too low as that could damage the pump. I yearn for many things from the"good old
days" when you could work on stuff yourself.  Say your prayers....That still works and you can do it yourself............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

ladylake

Quote from: thecfarm on June 26, 2013, 08:21:03 PM
A one inch hole and the stick hits it,sounds like my luck too.That is a skid steer? Could a piece of ½ metal be put over that and bolted in place? Probably the bolts would rust,but could grind them off.

Yes they could, my Case skid steer has them.  Also I looks like the tank would slide out the back.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

grweldon

Fuel pumps are in tanks now because they are electric gear pumps that are not able to pull up fuel from the engine compartment, but are able to supply 30-40 PSI fuel to the fuel injector fuel rails when near to the source.  The old mechanical diaphram pumps didn't mind pulling from a long distance but they only provided 7-10 PSI to carburetor fuel bowls.

As far as design engineers, as stated, most don't have any hands-on experience with anything other than design software, but.... With 3D modeling software, it is very easy to see what interferes with what and gives the designer the opportunity to fix it.

To me, a design engineer, design for manufacturability included designing for service and repair.  Too bad manufacturers don't see things my way!  :D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

pineywoods

As stated, most newer vehicles will have an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank, which depends on being immersed in fuel for cooling.. Good idea to not let the fuel level get below a quarter tank. If you are the type of person that doesn't add fuel until the gauge reads empty (no, it's not cheaper to do that) you WILL buy a lot of pumps.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rmack

I'm starting to hear stories of newly graduated mechanical engineers carrying on to do trade apprenticeships in their chosen field. No doubt, this will bring a fresh perspective to a lot of things we grunts have to put together in the future.

When welders, supplying nothing more than a pair of steel toe boots, can make $100.00/hr, it's probably good backup for the engineer to learn a trade as well. :)

Far as vehicles go, I think a lot of that is planned obsolescence. otherwise simple repairs, costing the moon and the stars, help accelerate the point where it is no longer worth your while to fix it.

A lot of these companies are facing static or shrinking markets because of global competition, they have no choice but to recycle consumers as fast as possible.

Why can't these new fuel pumps have a flange on them, enter into the tank from the outside so that it's just a simple matter to swap it out? the pickup or bulk of the pump could still be positioned low in the tank and immersed in fuel if cooling is an issue. A drain plug somewhere in the pump could facilitate tank draining.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

barbender

I've seen a lot of poorly engineered stuff, but it's not always the engineer's fault, either. A case in point is the underhood area of new equipment, with the epa mandated tier IV emissions, there is a lot of junk they have to stuff in there.
Too many irons in the fire

just_sawing

This tank was designed with a auto cad space avoidance allowing as much volume as the space allows. Being plastic it wraps around the engine. The first major breakdown I had was when the breather got clogged and the fuel pickup having no foot on it was shut off by the tank raising up from the bottom. Now the second is still the fact that John Deere thinks that having a drain hole with no cover over it is what John Deere wants to be remembered for. The funny thing is we are about to buy a new four wheel drive tractor (would have already purchased but have just been too busy) and John Deere was in the running. John Deere had no problem in delivering this machine but since I needed it worked on I needed to travel past three John Deere places for one that can work on it. 80 miles.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!