The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: DIY bypass grapple  (Read 10073 times)

Offline northforker

Re: DIY bypass grapple
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:39 pm »
Added a heel to the boom. Pictured heeling a ~35' larch log @16" butt diameter. The machine started tipping forward, so I guess the heel is stronger than the tipping force...should work okay.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »
 That is nice.Is it pinned to stay there or is there a piston to move it back and forth?I need one on mine, right now I use the bottom of the bucket,but it slips side to side at times.
Ed K

Offline Migal

• I'm new! But Old as Dirt!
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:33 pm »
 :) Neat I bet there is not a sole on here that wouldn't find a place to park that machine  8) Good Job!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Offline northforker

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 12:26:16 pm »
Thanks Ed and Migal. Ed, the heel is just pinned in place. Your idea of a hydraulically retractable heel is a great idea though...why didn't I think of that? Anyway, it's time to start thinking about adding a bar saw, and may just fab a dedicated boom for it from scratch.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »
Northforker, if I was building my boom again, I would make it so that the grapple/boom was about 45 from your bucket hinge point when it is centered in it's travel, so the grapple comes toward the machine as you roll back. This gives you a higher vertical reach, and makes heeling stuff easier. This is a bit difficult to describe in writing, but basically make it the same shape as a grapple skidder's grapple, so as you lift the load it comes up and crowds toward you. I even thought I could make the bottom of the mount plate a dozer blade, you could roll it back so the grapple is high off the ground, and push junk out of your way with the blade. I've used mine a lot for skidding short distances, and piling 100" wood on the landing for trucks to haul out of, and these features would work well for that.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline northforker

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:26 pm »
You have good ideas, barbender. I was looking through a bunch of pics if grapple skidders and I think I now understand what you are saying about the boom angle. In the right configuration, when I retract the bucket cylinders, this pulls the grapple toward the machine. The Bob-Tach boom I am using only has a slight upward angle relative to the mount plate so I can't really draw the grapple in very far without lifting the loader arms significantly. Boy, that's a great idea you have for incorporating a push blade in the mount! It would be perfect for pushing stuff out of the way when making a skidding path. It's an excellent idea.

Northforker, if I was building my boom again, I would make it so that the grapple/boom was about 45 from your bucket hinge point when it is centered in it's travel, so the grapple comes toward the machine as you roll back. This gives you a higher vertical reach, and makes heeling stuff easier. This is a bit difficult to describe in writing, but basically make it the same shape as a grapple skidder's grapple, so as you lift the load it comes up and crowds toward you. I even thought I could make the bottom of the mount plate a dozer blade, you could roll it back so the grapple is high off the ground, and push junk out of your way with the blade. I've used mine a lot for skidding short distances, and piling 100" wood on the landing for trucks to haul out of, and these features would work well for that.

Offline Randy88

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »
You guys don't know it but your in the process of building the machine I was looking for a few years back, to elimate all the chainsaw work and people on the ground on foot, rather put them in a machine and cut, skid and shove stuff out of the way, put a swivel on it and mount it on my skidsteer and its exactly what I need as an attachment.   Nobody makes one I can afford to buy, so keep this going so I know how to make it myself, especially the part of putting the saw on it and how to go about that.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 08:35:28 pm »
Northforker, my boom is pretty much the same as yours. I shamelessly copied mine from a picture of a Valby attachment, and that was how their boom was setup. It didn't take long to see that that boom configuration didn't work that great. That's what I get for copying ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Offline kenmie

• I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »
looks like a nice one....what do you calculate the total cost to be

Offline drythropple

• Member*
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 04:54:40 pm »
Depending on the size of timber you need to cut have you thought about a tree shear instead of a saw?