iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM gas tank cracked

Started by Qweaver, June 25, 2013, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

The gas tank on my LT28 cracked on one top corner.  Looks light the sun just got to it.  I have several unused plastic boat fuel tanks,  they should work?  Would save me buying a WM tank.  I'll bet the WM tank is pricy.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Chuck White

I think you might be right.

A tank that will fit in the same area as the original tank should work quite well.

Your original tank should be repairable, as long as it's just cracked.

Should be stuff available at a camper supply store that they use to repair water and holding tanks in RV's.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Qweaver

Quote from: Chuck White on June 25, 2013, 12:38:27 PM
I think you might be right.

A tank that will fit in the same area as the original tank should work quite well.

Your original tank should be repairable, as long as it's just cracked.

Should be stuff available at a camper supply store that they use to repair water and holding tanks in RV's.

Ah Ha!  I hadn't thought of that.  A new tank is $50 plus shipping...so it's worth a try.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Jerry

Might want to read on package might be waterproof but might not be able to keep gasoline contained.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

Chuck White

Quote from: Jerry on June 25, 2013, 01:05:14 PM
Might want to read on package might be waterproof but might not be able to keep gasoline contained.

I agree, let them know what you're going to use the repair kit for.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

In the future keep the tanks covered.  UV rays are tough on plastic.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

A few years back, mine suffered from exposer, not to failure but the sun did some work on the tank,  but nothing like what I saw this morning,  I have my cap vent open, but the tank had sucked in, to the point I thought for sure it would crack.  Sawed till 1:00 and all shape came back, no cracks,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MartyParsons

Hello,
You will need a sealer impervious to petroleum.  I would bet you don't hear that word everyday.

Fuel Tank $ 49.95
Cover is $ 65.00 for both the fuel and water bottle.
Shipping would be about $ 13.00

I think I saw Magic Man has a cover on his WM Fuel and Water tank.

Hope this helps!

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ladylake

I've been running a $30 plastic boat tank uncovered for 7 years now with no problems.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: MartyParsons on June 25, 2013, 02:46:23 PM
Hello,
You will need a sealer impervious to petroleum.  I would bet you don't hear that word everyday.

Fuel Tank $ 49.95
Cover is $ 65.00 for both the fuel and water bottle.
Shipping would be about $ 13.00

I think I saw Magic Man has a cover on his WM Fuel and Water tank.

Hope this helps!

Marty

Well, having been stationed aboard USS Impervious (MSO-449), I got quite familiar with that word.

Herb

Magicman

Quote from: MartyParsons on June 25, 2013, 02:46:23 PMI think I saw Magic Man has a cover on his WM Fuel and Water tank. 
Yes I do.  I have used several different "home brewed" covers in the past, but this one is top notch.  I twelve years, I have not had a tank to crack and the sawmill is never under a shed.

I don't cover everything to keep it from cracking.  I cover it because I want to.  I take care of it, and it will take care of me.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

Magicman,  Do you leave the covers on the engine and the fuel tanks while towing the mill?  I only leave the small control panel cover on there in transit, but the engine and the big carriage cover only goes on the mill when it's parked.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Magicman

Yes, I leave all of them on when towing.  They are tight enough that they do not flop in the wind.  Any flopping will kill the fabric.

Chuck White

I have an all-in-one cover for my mill, and I take it off for transport.

It allows me to see to the rear a lot better and probably also increases my truck's gas milage!

Brucer

They recommend that you don't tow with the all-in-one cover on the mill. I've always towed with my separate console and engine covers on -- no problem.

I bought the new fuel tank cover when it came out this year. I pretty much had to -- I'd been pestering WM for a couple of years to supply one.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I have 5 covers including the one that covers my Operator's Seat.  It is needed because birds love to sit on the umbrella rod and I hate having to wash my seat.   :-\  DanG birds.

mesquite buckeye

If  I leave the tanks on the mill, the water tank lasts maybe 6 months, the gas tank about a year.

Whenever I'm not using the mill, they go into inside storage. I make capped plug ins from the old feed line and a galvanized cap for the fuel line, and a capped piece of hose thread pvc capped on the back to keep the crud out of the water feed. I can keep my tanks good a lot longer this way. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!