iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Field mice

Started by John Woodworth, June 25, 2013, 01:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Woodworth

Had a good one on my VW mtr. off my mill, I haven't run it for a while and brought the mtr. home to check things out as I will be sawing shortly, anyhow after changing the points in the mag and a ganeral tune up it started up fine however  the oil temperature started coming up, I had pulled the covers last time I ran it so I assumed everything was clean, I pulled the covers again to find that last winter the field mice had got in through the blower side and built a nest under the front bank, I cleaned it all out and fired it up again to have a serious oil leak, the pushrod tubes were all eaten through. I got a set of the adjustable pushrod tubes as I didn't want to pull the head, these tubes have a O-ring seal and double jam nut for adjustment and are known to leak at the O-ring so I put silicone sealer arounr the tube end below the O-ring and it's leak free. Guess I'll have to block off the blower or else set mice traps from now on.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Satamax

Ahhh, that's where the word pestering comes from ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

John,

I could box up some snakes from down here and ship them to you via USPS flat rate box.  Shipping would only be $17  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Woodworth

Thanks WDH but I don't think the local two legged snakes living here woulk like the competetion.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Magicman

Tough break John.  I think that I would be blocking, trapping, and poisoning.  I hates mice.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hamish

I hate cats but keep two of them around for rodent duty.  Feeding them near the mill keeps there daily/nightly patrol in the mill sector, unfortunately they bring all there kills back to the house.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

drobertson

This is my ratter around the mill, Dixie has saved many of issues with her hunting tactics, 8)  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

She probably listening to that song, "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT".
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I had them critters eat the gas line.  I guess they needed more room for thier nest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 25, 2013, 06:39:40 PM
She probably listening to that song, "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT".
:D
Aint nothin but a hound dog... millin all the time
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

redbeard

I have owls and one perches on my mill control box. Hopefully the game camera will get a photo. So there will be proof. They also hang out in my drying shed.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

drobertson

I just wish I had a shot of every kill she has made, it would blow you guys away, although she is getting old now, but still on the hunt, even today,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

They make repellant for Mickey and his buddies,they say peppermint smell will keep them away.My first circular mill was off in the woods by a stream,had no rodent problem a feral mother cat had a litter in the engine house.Kept noticing little tracks all over the sawdust pile,they would scatter when the diesel would start but come home to a warm house. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Sprinkle red pepper everywhere occasionally and they'll stay away
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!