iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Project.

Started by Lee Trie, June 25, 2013, 12:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Trie

Well this is my new project.  I thought it was an American from the nameplate.  Turns out the feed works and the setworks are Frick.  The carrage is ?  The frame is metal all 11'x44' of it.   It came with a live deck,  3 blade edger,  671, and misc little stuff.  I have it moved and have started to remodel it.  It was set up as a portable mill with axles under it but I had it moved on a flatbbed after I got it ready.  Lots of dissambly with alot of thought of how I wanted it when I reset it up. 
Lee

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Lee Trie! 8) 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pri0ritize

Another person from Poulsbo! Small world. Welcome to the forum! If you ever need a hand let me know!
2012 LT40HD
Random Stihl Chainsaws and more woodworking equipment than I care to inventory!

Lee Trie

Pictures I think

Lee

thecfarm

Lee Trie,welcome to the forum. I see you said "sawing again" I guess you had a mill before? What's the plan for this one?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ddcuning

Welcome to the FF Lee, I love the old circle mills and look forward to future pictures of your progress. Guys here on the forum have helped a lot with my mill set up.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

sandhills

Welcome to the forum Lee, this will be another fun one to watch, with that 671 I hope you got ear plugs  ;).  Have 2 of them on irrigation wells 3/4 of a mile from the farm, they'll run forever but not hard to tell when a pivot safeties out  :D.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Lee.  Looks like you have a  "B A D"  log dog.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Definitely looks like a project,  surely you will end up on top of this one,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redbeard

Welcome Lee , your going to have a nice production mill when you get it set up.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Lee Trie

Thanks for the wellcome's....  I started shoveling sawdust from under my dads old American mill, went form there to green chain and eventually ran it some.  I bought my first mill 25 years ago and never set it up (sold it about a month ago to help fund this one).  I had an 1977 vintage mobile deminsion for a few years but did not like the belt carriage drive on it and wanted to upgrade to hydrostatic (sold it awhile back).   I also had traded for (about 15 years ago) a large steel framed mill made by Zimmerman Iron works of Tacoma Wa.  It had some good ideas but was so far out of shape I did not think I could ever get it straight again.  (in the process of dismanteling it right now).

I plan on using this for personal use and the ocasional outside job for others.  It should help for extra income when I retire (in 7 years)

The dog has been with me for 11 or so years and has gon to lots of race tracks, sand dunes, construction job sites,  helped me skid logs out of woods and has been my best friend for along time.  He does not get around as well now but is still happy.

I think I got the picture thing figured out and will try to keep adding more to catch up to where the sawmill is now.

Lee

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Lee Trie

I had to break down the sawmill to a manageable size. Remove roofing and lower it 32".  I had to take the carriage of to get the package under 11' wide.  M

ore pictures.

Lee

beenthere

That is quite a haul. Looks like you have the equipment to make it happen and the knowledge to pull it off too.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lee Trie

Showes start of blocking.  I used old dock lumber. should be good for 20 years.

I guess that you could call it a daylight basement the way I am setting this up.
I think I installed enough blocking to brace the sawmill both ways.
Lee

Lee Trie

mostly level

Under husk, support both ways typical.

More blocking.

All blocking spiked together with rebar.
Lee

Lee Trie

Ready for backfill

Backfill complete on topside.   

there should be enough blocking to provide stability both directions.  The mill was within 1/4 " level but will get leveled in as the project continues.  I expect some settling but it should stabilize.  I am shooting for 1/16" tolerance when mill in operation.
Lee

beenthere

You are getting a lot of work done quickly.

Is the framework overhead structural, or for shelter?  Does it raise up as is looks like one would have to work bent over when under it ? I re-read and see that it is the roof and you lowered the frame.

What is keeping the mill stable in the direction the carriage travels? With a big log moving back and forth, seems the blocking is not set to counter that momentum. Maybe it is there and I don't see it. 

Notice some red X boxes in a couple posts.
Click on the "Preview" button before "Post" to see what you have, and/or go back and click on the "Modify" button to fix/repair/edit a post. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lee Trie

I think that I can get up to date with the pictures today.  I actually bought the sawmill 3 months ago.  Spent 4 days spread over 2 months to get it ready to go.  It was about 2 1/2 hours from my house.  It made for long days.  I got it home to my house on the 4th of June.  The plan now is to get it cutting wood and then next summer rebuild the husk, carriage, track, sandblast and paint.  Alot of what I have removed has been wore out or I just wanted something different.  The way it was set up the edger and the sawdust drag ran full time when the arbor turned.  You also needed at least one other person to run the green chain and edger.  I am putting an electric motor on the sawdust drag. (learned from my dad, so I can clean out the mill when the blade is not turning) I am also going to move the edger over and back.  It will run off of a different power.  This way I can cut some logs,  then edge them.   I have some thought as to how I will make this work.  We will see.   Ok enough words now for some pictures.

The live deck just sitting about where it will go.

The detroit is still on the mill. The roof is still down the live deck is jsut sitting.

Detroit is out and the roof is going up.

The roof is up held by straps, jacks, etc.

This is about how the detroit will sit.  I will add concrete under it.  I will hace the concrete drain to an oil water seperator.  I do not want to put any oil on the ground and we all know how detroits like to give the oil back.

I had removed the old wood before I moved the mill.  I had some grating laying around and installed it if a few spots.  I think this will work well.

This showes the husk. American wood with Frick feed works.  Set up as a left hand mill.  The carriage is still not on.

This is how they powered the live deck.  The deck use to sit lower and the sprockets on the mill itself powered seperate chains that brought the logs up to the mill.

The log deck before I removed what was not necessary.

Overall view of the live deck and the log deck.

I had to move the logs as they were in my way.  Might as well put them on the live deck.  Nothing like some motivation to get up and sawing.

Removed the drive for the live deck.  Not sure if I am going to install it again lower or convert it to hydrolic. 
Lee

drobertson

Mercy sakes alive! you have it going on, and not much else to say, cant' wait to see that rascal run,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Lee Trie

Just more pictures.

The belts are on.  The extra belts on the back of the motor were for running the edger.  I will just leave them there for now.   When I rebuild the husk next year I will switch to a banded belt (like on the Journey) as I like that.  The extrs belts will come off at that time.

The sawdust chain.  It was set up as a conveyor and I like that.  The power was from the arbor and I am switching that to electric, wich will be mounted at the top.  By conveying it I hope that I can keep the area under the sawmill cleaner and to be able to keep the sawdust types sepeerate.

This is the end that they use to drive it from.  I will use that framwork as it is stable.

Similar to last but from different angle.

Carriage is on.

Frick setworks with some parts removed to free up and clean up.

Shaft cleaned and freed up ready to put back together.

Back tigether.

I had removed the air dog (might install it again later) and installed this hand dog from my extra sawmill parts pile.

Setworks back together different angle. 

Looking over husk at detroit.  Extra stuff scattered on ground.  It always looks like a bonb went off with it laying there.  The extra stuff has been a life saver. 

I ran out of pictures,  time to go back and work on the mill........
Lee

customsawyer

Keep up the great work and keep us informed. I like stories like these.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SPD748

Holy smokes man... take a breath :)  I'm all about getting things done but you've taken it to another level! Great progress so far!

That clockwise rotation 6 is a rare bird. Straight 30 or 40 weight oil will be your friend.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Lee Trie

(Lee) Good catch on rotation.  To me it looks like the goodies were swaped end for end. It was nice getting the mill setup mostly complete even if some of it was wore out.  Thanks on oil weight, I was wondering.  I never heard it run so I will keep my fingers crossed.  I am just trying to get it operational right now. Later after I get changes made (already have a long list) I will paint it.  From what I can gather the mill was put together this way 40-50 years ago.  It should last another 40-50 years. 

I found some more pictures.

The flat track is bolted down.  It had sawdust, rust etc. under it.  I think it had 3/8" humps.   I removed it cleaned everything off to bare metal and painted the mill  there.

Just another picture.  Notice the track laying next to it.

From the end looking through the sawmill.  I am planing on moving the edger off the mill next.

I was able to reuse the flat track. I turned it over and it layed down flat.  The camera put a bend in the track, Honest.  I will rework all this next summer.  I used safty yellow here because i thought it is one place everyone should be aware of.  I could imaging someone helping putting their foot up on the track.  Most of the mill will be dark green. 
Lee

kelLOGg

Quote from: SPD748 on June 30, 2013, 08:50:34 PM
Holy smokes man... take a breath :)  I'm all about getting things done but you've taken it to another level! Great progress so far!

x10
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tractormanNwv

Welcome to the Forum. Very neet looking setup there, I believe I seen O'l deuce and a half rear axles under that thing....? How long has it been setting idle? may want to look the governor and rack assembly over before you try and fire the green goblin up, only takes one injector being stuck in full throttle position to really get your attention when it does fire up. I have a 8V-92 Detroit that set for a number of years, pulled 1 valve cover and primed the heads and fuel filter, and she took right off. It will be very interesting to watch your setup, good luck.

Jim

Lee Trie

Well an update on todays progress.  I have been working on the road leading to the sawmill so not to much is done. I think you are right about the axels on the back.  I believe the shafts were pulled out and caps put over the ends.  They still turned when I got the mill.  I was worried that they might be froze up and was not looking forward to freeing them up.  The one thing I am not familiar with is the detroit.  I will take any infromation or advice on starting it.  I have found the air flapper.  Looks like I should pull the valve cover to make sure everything is free.  Anything else?

This is what the edger will set on.  Temp axel to get it moved to sawmill.

A couple of I beams to slid it on.

Base up against mill.  Extra stuff on top of it.

The back of the edger is up on a 4x4 with angle on it so the slide will be easier.

Main body of edger in on new base.

Setting on new base.  View from sawmill.

This is the hole it left on the sawmill.  I plan to install a live chain deck here.  I hope to be able to have the lumber dropped onto it with some kind of lever.  It can pile up here.  I can then sort it, stack it, or run it through the edger.  I have some Ideas as to how this will work.  I plan on doing most of the cutting by myself so some hydraulic's or air will be necessary.

Here it is from the other side.  I now have to slid it away from the mill some both directions.  Lots of thought as to space necesary to make lumber movement possible. 

I have been off work this last month between projects.  It looks like I will be out  of town for part of next week and then for three months (during the week) starting around the end of July.   I hope to cut some lumber before I leave for the three months.  Work on the mill will slow down when all happens. 
Lee

Lee Trie

I have some more progress.  This is the sawdust drag/conveyor...

Chain on ground.

U

New pullies on floor.
Lee

Buddyw

NICE MILL !!!!!    You are rocking on getting that thing going !!  I like the way that mill was setup to be mobile .  Keep up the good work and the pictures coming . I am still working on getting mine set up . I started setting up mine back in April and still have not sawed a log. I have been slack on posting pictures of my progress , SORRY !! LOL.   

bandmiller2

Good job Lee,its not your first rodeo.Looks complicated to those not used to circular mills but just the basics with a lot of stuff around.You just have to run a log through the mill straight with a sharp saw hammered to the right speed and proper lead.You never know until you cut a log if your setup right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Lee Trie

Had some trouble uploading pictures but here are some more I think.

This will be the new top drive sprocket and shaft.  It is out of an old new holland hay baler.

New pullies on living room floor.  With this combination and the 1725 rpm motor the sawdust chain should make one complete revolution every 33 seconds.

Shows motor and pullies installed.  If this all works I will end up replacing wood with metal in a few years.  I had wood around so the cost was right at this time.

Another picture of  same but with cover over motor.  The cover was also a part from the old baler.
Lee

Lee Trie

I had some problems on my computer but figured it out.  Here are three more of the sawdust removal system.  This is how it was set up when I got it, but they had it powered off the arbor.  My thought is that if they used this basic system for 50 years it should work for me.   I also wanted to be able to keep the different types of sawdust seperate as is this area I will be cutting western red cedar and it cannot be used for horse bedding.  The mill I grew up on the chain was set up traveling the other direction as a drag and the sawdust was always mixed.   

The baffles.  I think that the angle of these will be close.  We will see.  Again it is out of wood as I had it around. 

This is the view from the sawmill how it all ended up.

The view from the side.  There is about 10 feet of clearance under where the truck is.  You can also see my tire pile ladder.  It was amazing how stable they were to work off of.

The next part I plan on posting is the green chain board kick off that I built and installed.
Lee

Lee Trie

Life got a little busy.  My Daughter got a new kidney so the sawmill took a back seat to that.  Also working my normal job took some hours.   This is what I have completed next.  It is what I call "green chain kick off".  I plan on sawing mostly by myself so I had to come up with a way to move the lumber from the sawyer end of the mill.  I used some comercial garage door shafts and bearings as well as an existing foot lever that was on the mill.

The shaft under the mill.  The bearing housing also held the spring from the door.   

The levers I built.   

Levers on a short piece of shaft just to see how they looked.

In action with 2x4 on.  About 1/2 way up.

All the way up 2x4 droped off feed/stacking chain.

The foot lever which powers the kick off for now.  It use to power the log deck just before the log went on the carriage.  I think that it will have enough leverage, except for larger stuff.   I used simple 1/2 bolts for the hinge points.  I know they will wear some.  If this all works I can change them out to rod ends later.  I can also use an air cylinder to activate it. 

I will need to power one roller just before this to move the lumber to the proper place without using the next board to do it.
Lee

bandmiller2

Lee,before starting the Detroit I would pull the valve cover and check the fuel rack and each injector for free movement.The biggest worry with a Detroit that has sat, unused, is one or more injectors that have frozen and will hold the fuel rack open leading to a run away.The outher worry is if someone messed with the governor buffer screw.If you have four exhaust valves in each cylinder good, if you have only two well OK you will not be troubled with skeeters at the mill site.Best thing I can say is get the Detroit service manual,when you get time after running it for a wile give it a tune up as per the manual in the order stated,usally it will be an improvement.Most mechanics are scared of Detroits and want nothing to do with them,if they run they won't touch them.It should serve you well if you can stand the scream. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bigred1951

love the mill. I cant wait to be able to get me one. Any update yet

Nomad

Quote from: bigred1951 on February 05, 2014, 09:41:49 AM
love the mill. I cant wait to be able to get me one. Any update yet

You may not get an update.  He hasn't been on here since last August. :-\
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!